Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2017, 10:24 AM

22,974 posts, read 27,005,313 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by clikrf8 View Post
And,per your earlier post, why would we want these illiterate in their native language workers as citizens? The future belongs to the educated and literate.
And those that will ASSIMILATE into society instead of hanging on to their old country and trying to re-create it here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2017, 10:33 AM

42,845 posts, read 26,259,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
Wow. And you support this illegal activity? Identity theft, impersonation, fraud, just so they can save a little money. This is why we need e-verify. Even without e-verify we are required to complete an I-9 examining two forms of id and verify under penalties of perjury that the documents are valid.
Where in the world did you get the idea that I support it? I never inferred that I supported it, so don't try to put words in my mouth that's just not right. I was explaining how it works in the real world, but if you want to pretend that they all work 'under the table' that's just dandy but you will need to either explain or disprove these numbers:

The institute's report estimates about a third of such immigrants nationally are homeowners, subjecting them to property tax payments. Another 50 percent are believed to pay income taxes. And as much as 75 percent of the (undocumented) population is believed to pay into the U.S. Social Security system (a system of benefits they wouldn't be eligible to receive anyway unless they became U.S. citizens).

And in these forums over the past several years I have expressed my support for e-verify many, many times

Old 06-02-2017, 10:45 AM
AFP

7,412 posts, read 6,893,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimj View Post
And those that will ASSIMILATE into society instead of hanging on to their old country and trying to re-create it here.

Good luck trying to impose this, the harder you push the more you'll alienate people into enclaves. People should learn the language and follow the laws of the US, but if you expect them to stop speaking their language in public and totally replace their culture for yours then that's a losing proposition.

There are several things that the US does wrong in my opinion that are done better in for instance in middle class Latino cultures I've seen it first hand. I'll give you one specific example US families in general are much more fragmented and a whole lot of families absolutely suck at providing support for their elderly parents and are basically selfish pricks.

Old 06-02-2017, 10:46 AM

62,930 posts, read 29,119,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimj View Post
You are conflating the commission of a felony (ID theft) with those that haven't done that of which I'd bet there are many, just how many is unknown at this time.

You are also refusing to accept our role as a nation in this debacle and that in my opinion is sad. What you seem to fail or neglect to admit is that yes, as a citizen of this nation we are all responsible to some extent for what our country does as we ALL have a say in it. We may not ALL voice our opinions at the ballot box but we do ALL have a say, that's the price of democracy.

Just because your,mine and others opinions were not heard (totally ignored to be honest) up until this year doesn't mean we're totally absolved from what was done in our name.

If they haven't committed felony ID theft to gain employment then they are working for cash (tax evasion). Law abiding Americans are not responsible for what our government has done in this issue. Sorry to disagree with you. Our government owes us for their negligence not vice versa. We don't even have a voice in our immigration policies at the ballot box. Crooks get elected regardless of their promises to do what is right for the American people.

No, you're wrong. No law abiding American should have to roll over and allow illegal aliens to stay in this country no matter what their reasons are. We don't need absolving we need justice.

Old 06-02-2017, 10:49 AM

62,930 posts, read 29,119,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clikrf8 View Post
And,per your earlier post, why would we want these illiterate in their native language workers as citizens? The future belongs to the educated and literate.
Those who want to make citizens out of illegal aliens either hire them for profit, want their votes (Democrats) or have ethnic ties to them. All of the above are traitors to our country.

Old 06-02-2017, 11:22 AM

36,505 posts, read 30,847,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
Where in the world did you get the idea that I support it? I never inferred that I supported it, so don't try to put words in my mouth that's just not right. I was explaining how it works in the real world, but if you want to pretend that they all work 'under the table' that's just dandy but you will need to either explain or disprove these numbers:

The institute's report estimates about a third of such immigrants nationally are homeowners, subjecting them to property tax payments. Another 50 percent are believed to pay income taxes. And as much as 75 percent of the (undocumented) population is believed to pay into the U.S. Social Security system (a system of benefits they wouldn't be eligible to receive anyway unless they became U.S. citizens).

And in these forums over the past several years I have expressed my support for e-verify many, many times
Your arguments seem to support illegal workers. Sorry if I misunderstood your position.

As for your quote I cant fully respond as I dont have a link or the benefit of further reading and have no idea how they generated the numbers. I dont know if such immigrants means legal immigrants of illegal aliens. As well stating are believed to, well I dont put much stock in that.

Old 06-02-2017, 11:24 AM

36,505 posts, read 30,847,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AFP View Post
Good luck trying to impose this, the harder you push the more you'll alienate people into enclaves. People should learn the language and follow the laws of the US, but if you expect them to stop speaking their language in public and totally replace their culture for yours then that's a losing proposition.

There are several things that the US does wrong in my opinion that are done better in for instance in middle class Latino cultures I've seen it first hand. I'll give you one specific example US families in general are much more fragmented and a whole lot of families absolutely suck at providing support for their elderly parents and are basically selfish pricks.
I dont think you understand what assimilate means.

Old 06-02-2017, 11:31 AM

42,845 posts, read 26,259,081 times
Quote:
Your arguments seem to support illegal workers. Sorry if I misunderstood your position.

As for your quote I cant fully respond as I dont have a link or the benefit of further reading and have no idea how they generated the numbers. I dont know if such immigrants means legal immigrants of illegal aliens. As well stating are believed to, well I dont put much stock in that.
oops! I forgot the link regarding the number of illegal workers who have taxes withheld from their checks, sorry

https://www.usnews.com/news/articles...lions-in-taxes

Old 06-02-2017, 11:45 AM

4,765 posts, read 3,731,441 times
I'm rather enjoying watching this play out. So seldom you get to see people's beliefs crash headlong into their livelihoods and wallets. And since farmers did this to themselves for the most part, for once the architects will take the brunt of the fallout for their own choices. 3 1/2 years is a long time to weather negative business pressure and pulling out of TPP is also working against agriculture. Add in the usual farming problems with drought, high priced machinery and this might just be a real breaking point.

And if it all works out for the better, that is good too. Win/win

Old 06-02-2017, 12:10 PM
AFP

7,412 posts, read 6,893,856 times
Quote:
I dont think you understand what assimilate means.
Humor me and do educate me on what assimilate means. One little caveat I was born in Portugal and immigrated to the US legally at 7 years of age with my parents and siblings. I'm a cultural fusion of two distinct cultures and have experienced the process very directly and personally I can verify that each culture has it's strengths and short comings. What is it that you think that I'm missing? I've also lived in California 40 years grew up around farming so I consider myself somewhat familiar with the topic of this thread. But then again perhaps all the way over in Tennessee you might have a better vantage point.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies