Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2017, 07:55 AM

17,717 posts, read 13,524,115 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
The last few Presidents had no plan also. Obama made promises he didn't keep and president wasn't a job anyone could easily prepare for. He's an executive, his plans are to fill his cabinet positions and let them carry out his visions.

What visions? The trust me visions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2017, 09:43 AM

10,726 posts, read 4,334,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
So because the US decides to do something like this the agreement is now null and void? And he can go bully other countries? I don't think so.
Huh?
President Trump is pushing for nations to adhere to the 2% agreement that those nations committed to on paper but are not living up to.

Old 05-26-2017, 10:56 AM

46,943 posts, read 25,964,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southward bound View Post
Is there not an agreement that a certain % of GDP will be dedicated to each country's defense?
Their 2% is due.
God, you people don't know anything. The 2% goal is set for 2024.

Old 05-26-2017, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by swayalot View Post
Huh?
President Trump is pushing for nations to adhere to the 2% agreement that those nations committed to on paper but are not living up to.
OK, let's start with the basics.
  • Time moves forward.
  • This current year is 2107.
  • The 2% of GDP goal is set for 2024
  • Remembering that time moves forward, we can deduce that 2024 is in the future.
  • Which means that claiming that nations aren't currently living up to their commitmemnt is nonsensical.

Now, Trump is achieving one thing, and in spades: He's losing America's soft power over NATO.

Although formally an organization of equals, the US was always the 800-pound gorilla. But his disdain for NATO combined with his very, very cozy relationship with Russia - a Russia that has increased its aggressive stance against NATO members - has triggered a shift to a France-Germany-UK axis in NATO.

The US bases in Europe aren't there to defend Europe, they're footholds for US operations in the Middle East. And perhaps Germany will start pondering if it's really to Germany's advantage to act as a forward air base.

Old 05-26-2017, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southward bound View Post
ISIS is a threat to all of them, though some may not have experienced it directly and think that it will never touch them.

It's a new kind of war.
Ah, Americans. You appear to think terrorism was invented on 9/11.

Old 05-26-2017, 11:45 AM

14,361 posts, read 9,783,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swayalot View Post
Huh?
He's doing exactly what he promised...

OMG a politician that keeps promises must be stopped!

People see the nonsense for what it is. The parrots are sorely mistaking their BS for momentum. I say bring on 2018!

If they lose AGAIN it will only amplify the stupidity.

People aren't batsht crazy enough to allow the progressives to gain back anything at this point. They have acted out too extreme for any rational person to back.

Don't get me wrong; I fear the balance of power has been lost. The problem is the left have shown how petty and uncaring they are for this country. FK em

Old 05-26-2017, 11:45 AM

1,708 posts, read 1,098,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarallel View Post
Trump reportedly lectured NATO that they must "meet their financial obligations."

Too bad that someone didn't call out to him about the times he's stiffed his own creditors.
Hey, NATO can go off on it's own. Aside from the U.K. and Poland they're deadbeats.

Old 05-26-2017, 12:12 PM

14,268 posts, read 18,923,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reed067 View Post
What visions? The trust me visions?
Visions of more Trump towers? Visions of every woman in China carrying an Ivanka handbag? A Trump golf course in every country?

Old 05-26-2017, 12:49 PM

14,268 posts, read 18,923,606 times
Although I do not believe Trump cares about most Americans and enjoys playing the Bully-in-Chief, I do agree that NATO members need to contribute their fair share.

Obama made [URL="http://www.politico.com/story/2016/11/obama-nato-pay-fair-share-231405"]this speech [/URL]last year.

“I want to take this opportunity to commend Greece for being one of the five NATO allies that spends 2 percent of GDP on defense, a goal that we have consistently set but not everybody has met,” Obama said. “Greece has done this even during difficult economic times. If Greece can meet this NATO commitment, all our NATO allies should be able to do so.”

However, Trump is an embarrassment and every time he opens his mouth, I want to cringe. He doesn't understand how our own government is run, so I don't know why anyone would expect him to clearly grasp foreign policy and the importance of working harmoniously with allies.

Many people are tweeting that he rudely shoved PM Markovic aside to please Putin because of the tensions between the two leaders. However, I think Trump just likes pushing people around.

[url]https://twitter.com/trumpthoughtson/status/867981830141558784?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw&ref_url=htt ps%3A%2F%2Fwww.washingtonpost.com%2Fnews%2Fmorning-mix%2Fwp%2F2017%2F05%2F26%2Fbreaking-down-trumps-shove-the-internet-debates-and-montenegros-leader-shrugs%2F[/url]

Old 05-26-2017, 12:52 PM

2,695 posts, read 3,399,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by functionofx View Post
Hey, NATO can go off on it's own. Aside from the U.K. and Poland they're deadbeats.
This is so ignorant . To think the US war machine doesn't
benefit from NATO is just laughable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies