Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-30-2017, 08:15 AM

34,938 posts, read 36,258,444 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ipaper View Post
We have military bases in various parts of Europe. If a war ever breaks out between us and the Russians, those bases over there will be vital to our efforts. I believe it would do us best to stay in standings with Europe.
Stop making sense.

Seriously, why are so many people under the impression that isolationist policies are universally good for the US?

We're going to isolate ourselves right into a military and trade disadvantage.

Old 05-30-2017, 08:16 AM

34,938 posts, read 36,258,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flashes1 View Post
I love how the President represented the "America First" perspective in Europe. This is what got him elected. If he went over there and kissed the proverbial Euro trash's collective butts, he'd be panned by his supporters. He told the Euros to start paying their fair share of NATO's expenses instead of spending it on homeless Muslims who should be in Islamic countries.

Eff Europe. America First and Always.
If he really wanted to look out for the US, pissing on Europe wasn't a smart move. But, he's not a smart man.

Old 05-30-2017, 08:19 AM

7,489 posts, read 4,954,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbel View Post
Curious - do you believe the Middle East was stable before Bush?
There were human rights violations before the emergence of ISIS, so by that measure no. The Middle East countries have spent centuries sorting things out in ways that work for them. ISIS grew out of the destabilization by Bush and the imaginary weapons of mass destruction. The USA, with its very short history, seemed to think that an invasion could transform thousands of years of complex religious structure to a democracy. What we have today is so much worse than what was in place prior to the Bush attempt to control Middle East oil.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2017, 08:21 AM

76,971 posts, read 47,629,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
Can someone remind me why Obama's NSA was spying on Merkel, again? No really, I can't remember WHY they were doing it.
Intelligence gathering. We listened their phones going back to 1998, and didn't get caught until few years ago. The Germans are probably doing the same with other foreign leaders, which is why it blew over so quickly.

Old 05-30-2017, 08:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
I respect your opinion and it is an interesting opinion. So thank you for sharing. Maybe you are right, what you posted makes sense.

I doubt Trump wants to hold her responsible for ISIS, I think it is something personal. He doesn't like her for personal reasons, maybe because she is a "strong" leader. After all, she was TIME person of the year.

I voted for Trump and I liked him for his book "the art of the deal"; I also completely agree with him when he said, "Iraq war is a big fat mistake." But I do believe Trump has a big ego, I think he should keep his ego in check. I am afraid Trump's lack of clarity on foreign policy may prove catastrophic.
Could it be that he has issues with women and is unable to relate to them as equals? When they don't do as he tells them, does he defer to bullying?

Old 05-30-2017, 08:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedZin View Post
Stop making sense.

Seriously, why are so many people under the impression that isolationist policies are universally good for the US?

We're going to isolate ourselves right into a military and trade disadvantage.
That's already happening with the free trade agreement with Mexico and Canada. His "me first" punitive selfish mis-informed stance has the two other countries considering retaliation.

Old 05-30-2017, 08:25 AM

39,228 posts, read 27,603,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lieneke View Post
Could it be that he has issues with women and is unable to relate to them as equals? When they don't do as he tells them, does he defer to bullying?
Possibly.

I think President Trump is directing his anger at the wrong people and it is a sad sad situation.

Another interesting thing to note is that Merkel actually had an ok relationship with Putin, They are said to have a grudging respect for each other, although Mrs Merkel's adamant stance over sanctions and Mr Putin's denial of Russian action in Ukraine means that both sides now feel more of the grudging and less of the respect.

But Mrs Merkel, who says she is in it for the long haul, is not giving up.

I wouldn't be surprised if Trump pushed her one step closer to Russia and China.

Old 05-30-2017, 08:30 AM

37,971 posts, read 22,151,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natural510 View Post
Trump actually said this in Brussels today

I thought there was nothing else this guy could say that would surprise me, but there it is...

Trump reportedly told EU officials Germany is 'very evil'
From the link you did not read:

New York Times reporter Maggie Haberman notes that depending on the translation, Trump may have been calling the Germans merely "very bad" and not "very evil."

/threadfail

Old 05-30-2017, 08:33 AM

30,419 posts, read 20,306,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irish_bob View Post
american meddling in the mid east since 2003 is entirely the cause of the refugee crisis now effecting that region and the EU , america ( and the uk ) are the only countries who should be taking in any refugees

merkel may be doing the bidding of corporations by flooding germany with cheap labour for the future but i doubt trump has any issue with the race to the bottom when it comes to wages
Wow. It never ceases to amaze me how naive and ignorant some people can be.

Did Islam just spring up in 2003? Haven't Muslims been trying to conquer the world since Islam was invented (it's a made up 'religion' ...a cult) nearly 700 years after Christ went to the Cross? Wasn't it the Muslim invasion of Europe that led to the Crusades? Maybe I was taught wrong. But I thought the Crusades were a result of that invasion ...Christians reclaiming their countries and driving the evil marauders, the Islamic hordes, out.

Old 05-30-2017, 08:34 AM

45,676 posts, read 24,012,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lieneke View Post
That's already happening with the free trade agreement with Mexico and Canada. His "me first" punitive selfish mis-informed stance has the two other countries considering retaliation.
I have not read where Canada is contemplating retaliation but I have read where Trudeau has taught Trump that the trade thing with Canada is a two way street & that the potential damage to many states' economies if Trump starts a trade war with Canada may be greater to the USA. Trump didn't understand that.

I did read where Mexico is considering other countries for goods and entering into trade agreements.

It is a slippery slope.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies