Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2017, 06:56 PM

5,277 posts, read 2,778,110 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredcop111 View Post
The world was used to Obama's weakness. Well we are the United States. We need to stop worrying about other countries feelings! If they feel all butt hurt over things then too bad!!!! They need us a hell of a lot more than we need them!!!
Hmmm talk softly and carry a big stick

or

Brag loudly on a sinking ship
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2017, 07:01 PM

46,807 posts, read 25,719,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibby View Post
They are very confused in Germany if they think that Germany can continue to get a free ride and not come to the aid of any other NATO ally.
What Germany not coming to the aid of a NATO ally may look like:

Nichts zu bedanken.

Old 05-30-2017, 07:05 PM

5,277 posts, read 2,778,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibby View Post
Merkel is presenting herself in the German Elections coming soon as "the savior of the EU" and also the "Free World" as reported in the German press Der Speigel. They believe that her anti-Trump rhetoric is a Campaign ploy. It's Politics all the time with Career Politicians - always about the next election.

Do the German people really want a break with the USA?
According to a recent PEW poll, German citizens want NATO but German Citizens do NOT want Germany to spend any money on Defense and do NOT want Germany to every defend either Germany or any other NATO ally from an attack ...... that is NATO's Job and the job of the USA.

They are very confused in Germany if they think that Germany can continue to get a free ride and not come to the aid of any other NATO ally. It's their choice and they seem clueless about what is going on in the rest of the world.
But they are not getting a free ride.

Example: Just having American bases within Germany represents an intangible contribution you cannot put a dollar figure on. Further, our service men and women come back from those bases in far better shape and training than those sitting around red neck USA.

They have international experience which frequently translates to higher paying jobs in the private sector.

Which would you hire for your international company? Someone who never set foot outside the US or someone that has experience serving in Germany or South Korea.

America gets a lot of the money for there investment back in this manner.

Old 05-30-2017, 07:24 PM

11,011 posts, read 10,969,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbmaise View Post
But they are not getting a free ride.

Example: Just having American bases within Germany represents an intangible contribution you cannot put a dollar figure on. Further, our service men and women come back from those bases in far better shape and training than those sitting around red neck USA.

They have international experience which frequently translates to higher paying jobs in the private sector.

Which would you hire for your international company? Someone who never set foot outside the US or someone that has experience serving in Germany or South Korea.

America gets a lot of the money for there investment back in this manner.
Okay, I have to be a bit of a smart azz here. But this is recruiter speak. Unfortunately, there are few jobs in the military, especially those of infantry, which actually translate into civilian employment. GI Bill is the best post-military transition help around. But also, wasn't this same international argument used in Private Benjamin the movie with Goldie Hawn?? Surely they're not peddling that same crap still.

Seriously, better shape than stateside counterparts? When I was a Marine, I ran just as much in California as I did in North Carolina. Those company runs can be brutal. It was hotter in NC and thus less pleasant and I lost too much weight thanks to the heat and sweating so much; weight I didn't have to lose at the time.

Old 05-30-2017, 07:25 PM

15,154 posts, read 11,567,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Merkel doesn't need or want your respect. The only respect she needs is the respect of the German people, which she has in obvious abundance. Your respect isn't worth her bothering with.

Again, don't like Merkel or any other German leader, petition your representatives to get US Troops out of Germany where they have no business being anyway.

European leaders aren't elected to make Americans happy.
So then why the hell is she whining about not being able to "Rely" on the US if all she supposedly cares about is the German people?

Old 05-30-2017, 08:52 PM

3,614 posts, read 1,719,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Merkel doesn't need or want your respect. The only respect she needs is the respect of the German people, which she has in obvious abundance. Your respect isn't worth her bothering with.

Again, don't like Merkel or any other German leader, petition your representatives to get US Troops out of Germany where they have no business being anyway.

European leaders aren't elected to make Americans happy.
I agree with you. Merkel is quite respected in her country and the EU. She helped build the EU into the progressive migrant welcoming nation it has become. The voters drank the cool aid. That's well and good. Trump himself has said that he has tremendous respect for Merkel. She is a force to be reckoned with. However, her policies have opened up the EU to a tremendous amount of social and economic issues. I also agree that we should pull out of our Germany base and let countries like France and Germany go at it alone for a while and when they get eaten alive again, and it will happen eventually the United States can sit back and do nothing. I would be fine with that. It will NEVER happen, but it should. It's easy for Merkel to take swipes at the United States and Trump when she knows she has us entrenched in her country. To me, Merkels comments weren't that bad. She took her backhanded swipes. It reminds me of a child talking back to their parent when they weren't in the room but within faint earshot.

Old 05-30-2017, 08:57 PM

11,011 posts, read 10,969,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LGR_NYR View Post
I agree with you. Merkel is quite respected in her country and the EU. She helped build the EU into the progressive migrant welcoming nation it has become. The voters drank the cool aid. That's well and good. Trump himself has said that he has tremendous respect for Merkel. She is a force to be reckoned with. However, her policies have opened up the EU to a tremendous amount of social and economic issues. I also agree that we should pull out of our Germany base and let countries like France and Germany go at it alone for a while and when they get eaten alive again, and it will happen eventually the United States can sit back and do nothing. I would be fine with that. It will NEVER happen, but it should. It's easy for Merkel to take swipes at the United States and Trump when she knows she has us entrenched in her country. To me, Merkels comments weren't that bad. She took her backhanded swipes. It reminds me of a child talking back to their parent when they weren't in the room but within faint earshot.
I thought it was just a knee jerk reaction to being told, in a rather blunt way, to pay more for your own dang defense - which Germany should do.

Old 05-30-2017, 09:03 PM

7,653 posts, read 5,429,102 times
The 5 Nordic prime ministers troll Trump's viral orb photograph

Quote:
The five leaders mock the notorious photo and post it on social media with the question ‘Who rules the world?’

Old 05-30-2017, 09:09 PM

If those guys aren't careful in a few years they will be wondering who is ruling them, their countries and how did they allow it to happen so fast.

Old 05-30-2017, 09:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southbel View Post
I thought it was just a knee jerk reaction to being told, in a rather blunt way, to pay more for your own dang defense - which Germany should do.
Agrred.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies