Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2017, 07:01 PM

862 posts, read 519,498 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyMac18 View Post
But you still have ESPN and cable?

I'm not saying people like you don't exist. I'm saying that those are not the driving forces here.
I agree with you, just think the part the politics plays is a bit larger than you seem to believe. Combining gratuitous far left politics with highlight shows that don't even show highlights is just a bad combo.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2017, 07:32 PM
Status: "everybody getting reported now.." (set 21 days ago)

29,549 posts, read 16,536,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RubyTwo View Post
I agree with you, just think the part the politics plays is a bit larger than you seem to believe. Combining gratuitous far left politics with highlight shows that don't even show highlights is just a bad combo.
politics in sports only matters to political people.

If you dont care about politics, i doubt you would care about it when its mentioned on a sports show.

Old 05-25-2017, 07:37 PM

12,270 posts, read 11,327,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RubyTwo View Post
Its a combination of things ranked in order.

1. What you said, cord cutting.
2. Ridiculous TMZ obsession over whatever pet they choose to love at the moment (Manti Teo, Tim Tebow, Lonzo Ball. etc)
3. Infusion of politics into sports.
I like your list. I have a different one.

1. Infusion of politics into sports. Even the cooler heads at ESPN admit that's created a problem
2. Cord cutting. Absolutely.
3. ESPN has just gotten boring. They went left to be "relevant" and forgot about sports.

Old 05-25-2017, 07:46 PM

10,920 posts, read 6,908,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockside View Post
I like your list. I have a different one.

1. Infusion of politics into sports. Even the cooler heads at ESPN admit that's created a problem
2. Cord cutting. Absolutely.
3. ESPN has just gotten boring. They went left to be "relevant" and forgot about sports.
Cord cutting is beyond a doubt #1. The rest, while possibly causing some people to cancel, are largely statistical noise comparatively.

Old 05-25-2017, 07:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsjj251 View Post

If you dont care about politics, i doubt you would care about it when its mentioned on a sports show.
This is 100 percent not true. I want to tune into sports to get away from the 24/7 political circus, not have it infused into my escape.

ESPN could be gay marriage advocating, pro choice loving, anti blm'r, pro israel crusaders and I wouldn't want to watch them if thats what was being discussed when I am trying to watch baseball highlights.

Old 05-25-2017, 08:01 PM

7,444 posts, read 7,014,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsjj251 View Post

I think you are both right generally but I think you downplay the political angle a little bit. Clay Travis has been all over this, of course you can disagree with his conclusions, but he generally backs them up:

https://www.outkickthecoverage.com/e...s-left-020817/

Changing demographics play a role too. For most sports I attend in person or watch on TV (which is basically college football, professional baseball and college basketball) the people in the stands are largely white and aging (except the student sections obviously for college games). They are also the demographic I think that traditionally has been cable subscribers. And they skew more conservative on average, as Travis points out above. They are dying off or tuning out. Millennials are cutting cords - maybe some of it is political but probably not the biggest factor. They aren't making the money other generations did and don't really have the patience to sit and watch games when they can do multiple things and stream highlights or parts of games. Politics plays a role I believe, although the primary one I think is simply changing demographics. I don't know who is going to be sitting in these huge football stadiums in 20 years. Will be a lot of empty seats I predict.

Last edited by MUTGR; 05-25-2017 at 08:10 PM..

Old 05-25-2017, 08:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MUTGR View Post
I think you are both right generally but I think you downplay the political angle a little bit. Clay Travis has been all over this, of course you can disagree with his conclusions, but he generally backs them up:

https://www.outkickthecoverage.com/e...s-left-020817/

Changing demographics play a role too. For most sports I attend in person or watch on TV (which is basically college football, professional baseball and college basketball) the people in the stands are largely white and aging (except the student sections obviously for college games). They are also the demographic I think that traditionally has been cable subscribers. And they skew more conservative on average, as Travis points out above. They are dying off or tuning out. Millennials are cutting cords - maybe some of it is political but probably not the biggest factor. They aren't making the money other generations did and don't really have the patience to sit and watch games when they can do multiple things and stream highlights or parts of games. Politics plays a role I believe, although the primary one I think is simply changing demographics.
Clay Travis is right on the money. This quote was from a month or so back when the got rid of a bunch of people.

"Middle America wants to pop a beer and listen to sports talk, they don’t want to be lectured about why Caitlyn Jenner is a hero, Michael Sam is the new Jackie Robinson of sports, and Colin Kaepernick is the Rosa Parks of football. ESPN made the mistake of trying to make liberal social media losers happy and as a result lost millions of viewers. "

Old 05-25-2017, 08:21 PM

12,270 posts, read 11,327,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyMac18 View Post
Cord cutting is beyond a doubt #1. The rest, while possibly causing some people to cancel, are largely statistical noise comparatively.
I get all you lefties out there want everyone to believe your cherished liberal leanings aren't alienating viewers, and you can post any number of Disney execs who say no no no politics have nothing to do with out ratings slump, but ESPN employees disagree with you.

"Prominent ESPN figures are admitting there’s a problem with the politics. Highly-respected anchorman Bob Ley recently said about ESPN, that”the one place we have miles to go is diversity of thought” while ESPN Public Editor Jim Brady confessed in a letter on its website last December: “Internally, there’s a feeling among many staffers — both liberal and conservative — that the company’s perceived move leftward has had a stifling effect on discourse inside the company and has affected its public-facing products. Consumers have sensed that same leftward movement, alienating some."

https://heatst.com/culture-wars/is-e...-viewer-slump/

Old 05-25-2017, 08:26 PM

33,571 posts, read 18,154,780 times
Liberals taking over ,even on ESPN. They want to talk about sports,not politics. Losing viewers.

Old 05-25-2017, 09:54 PM
Status: "everybody getting reported now.." (set 21 days ago)

29,549 posts, read 16,536,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockside View Post
I get all you lefties out there want everyone to believe your cherished liberal leanings aren't alienating viewers, and you can post any number of Disney execs who say no no no politics have nothing to do with out ratings slump, but ESPN employees disagree with you.

"Prominent ESPN figures are admitting there’s a problem with the politics. Highly-respected anchorman Bob Ley recently said about ESPN, that”the one place we have miles to go is diversity of thought” while ESPN Public Editor Jim Brady confessed in a letter on its website last December: “Internally, there’s a feeling among many staffers — both liberal and conservative — that the company’s perceived move leftward has had a stifling effect on discourse inside the company and has affected its public-facing products. Consumers have sensed that same leftward movement, alienating some."

https://heatst.com/culture-wars/is-e...-viewer-slump/
ESPN is on the basic or second level package of just about every cable network. So if ESPN is losing subscribers, then everyone is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies