Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Regressive tax system like Europe for NHC, etc.?
Yes 36 45.57%
No 43 54.43%
Voters: 79. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2017, 03:14 PM

14,221 posts, read 6,955,379 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
It doesn't explain the increase in the income gap after Obama raised taxes on the rich.

U.S. income inequality is the highest it’s been since 1928 - Pew Research Center

Unrealized capital gains aren't income. They aren't even a gain until they're realized (sold, etc.). They weren't included when analyzing the income gap.
Yes, it had a massive effect. The top 0.01% benefited massively as CEOs and other big wigs as a result of the stock market boom.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2017, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrapperJohn View Post
When the democrats proposed a $15 minimum wage they were asked how much it would save in food stamps and AFDC and Section 8 housing etc. The answer: $0.
Who are "they"? Just drop this nonsense trying to pin me to Obama or Clinton. I never voted for them. I support everyone becoming ordinary tax payers, no means testing, universal taxes with universal benefits, less room for the demagogues to rile up the middle class against taxes and the poor.

Old 05-26-2017, 03:20 PM

Quote:
The largest public unions left are government employees. The same government you claim is controlled by the ruling class. Very interesting.
I dont claim that the big money ruling class controls the political system. Thats a fact. Studies show that the opinion of the big majority of the population has zero influence on public policy. We live in an oligarchy.

And there is a clear link between decline of unions and more oligarchy. The link is extremely strong.

Old 05-26-2017, 03:21 PM

12,149 posts, read 8,414,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PCALMike View Post
Who are "they"? Just drop this nonsense trying to pin me to Obama or Clinton. I never voted for them. I support everyone becoming ordinary tax payers, no means testing, universal taxes with universal benefits, less room for the demagogues to rile up the middle class against taxes and the poor.
Pelosi et al.

Old 05-26-2017, 03:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCALMike View Post
I dont claim that the big money ruling class controls the political system. Thats a fact. Studies show that the opinion of the big majority of the population has zero influence on public policy. We live in an oligarchy.

And there is a clear link between decline of unions and more oligarchy. The link is extremely strong.
Ironic. The 1% pays 90% of the taxes while 47% pays zero. If you bought lunch everyday for everyone in the office I bet you'd want to decide where to eat sometime.

Want to end the oligarchy? Adopt a regressive tax system.

Old 05-26-2017, 03:29 PM

6,354 posts, read 3,652,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post

Would you agree to applying those tax brackets and rates in the US to get NHC, etc., like they have?
Personally I would agree to Switzerland's personal income tax rates with some sort of VAT tax to go along with those lower rates.

$0-$14,500> 0% tax rate
$14,500-$31,600> 0.77% tax rate
$41,400-$55,200> 2.64% tax rate
$72,500-$78,100> 5.94% tax rate
$103,600-$134,600> 8.80% tax rate
$176,000-$755,200> 13.20% tax rate.

Switzerland - Taxes on personal income

Switzerland is the best performing country on Earth, and most of Switzerland's laws are actually "conservative ideas." Like everyone in Switzerland having healthcare but with conservative ideas funding it, they also have low business/corporate tax rates to stimulate business, power in state governments, ex.ex.

And Switzerland has low poverty rates, and it has no welfare freeloaders. And they do it with conservative ideas of responsibility to work and state government.

https://www.nationalaffairs.com/stor...c470307219.pdf
https://www.spectator.co.uk/2010/07/...ke-clockwork/#
https://www.nationalaffairs.com/publ...in-switzerland

But Switzerland gets added revenues from a progressive personal tax system, standard tax rates on personal income from capital gains, and the wealthy pay higher fees for things like speeding tickets.

Introducing the World’s First Million-Dollar Speeding Fine | TIME.com

And perhaps a $1 million dollar speeding ticket seems unfair, but is a $200 speeding ticket enough financial incentive to make Bill Gates stop speeding?

Last edited by chad3; 05-26-2017 at 04:08 PM..

Old 05-26-2017, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Ironic. The 1% pays 90% of the taxes while 47% pays zero. If you bought lunch everyday for everyone in the office I bet you'd want to decide where to eat sometime.

Want to end the oligarchy? Adopt a regressive tax system.
The top 1% have benefited from anti-worker trade deals, erosion of the minimum wage, deregulation of Wall Street, weakening of anti-trust legislation, crushed unions, and lower tax rates over the past 40 years. They use this increased power to flood the political system with bribe money to get even more benefits.

How is the oligarchy doing in Alabama with its highly regressive tax system? They have a flat income tax and 10% sales tax on food, groceries and other goods, most regressive in the nation. The most stereotypical oligarchies are located in Latin America, countries like Mexico, Chile etc all have much more regressive tax systems than anywhere in Europe. They have a high VAT and very low income tax rate.

You cant simply slash taxes on the rich and burden poor folks with massive tax hikes and think that it will "end oligarchy".

We've already slashed taxes massively on the rich over the past decades and crushed unions. The end result is of course MORE oligarchy, as designed.

The answer to oligarchy is to fight to get big money out of politics and massively strengthen the trade union movement. To allow our democracy to be corrupted by oligarchs is a disgrace.

Old 05-26-2017, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chad3 View Post
Personally I would agree to Switzerland's personal income tax rates with some sort of VAT tax to go along with those lower rates.

$0-$14,500> 0% tax rate
$14,500-$31,600> 0.77% tax rate
$41,400-$55,200> 2.64% tax rate
$72,500-$78,100> 5.94% tax rate
$103,600-$134,600> 8.80% tax rate
$176,000-$755,200> 13.20% tax rate.

Switzerland - Taxes on personal income

Switzerland is the best performing country on Earth, and most of Switzerland's laws are actually "conservative ideas." Like everyone in Switzerland having healthcare but with conservative ideas funding it, they also have super low business/corporate tax rates to stimulate business, power in state governments, ex.ex.

And Switzerland has low poverty rates, and it has no welfare freeloaders. And they do it with conservative ideas of responsibility to work and state government.

https://www.nationalaffairs.com/publ...in-switzerland
https://www.spectator.co.uk/2010/07/...ke-clockwork/#

But Switzerland has a progressive personal tax system, they tax personal income from capital gains at standard income rates, and they make the wealthy pay higher fees for things like speeding tickets.

Introducing the World’s First Million-Dollar Speeding Fine | TIME.com

And perhaps a $1 million dollars speeding ticket seems unfair, but is a $200 speeding ticket financial incentive to make Bill Gates stop speeding?
There are more people in a 75 mile radius of me than in all of Switzerland, and the ocean is just over the hills.

Old 05-26-2017, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Pelosi et al.
Pelosi? The woman who doesnt even support Medicare-for-all? She is swimming in donor class money. Just like all the GOP puppets. These people dont represent ordinary Americans. They are lackeys for the ruling class, spending 40 hours a week dialing big shots for bribe money, not governing the country. Its pathetic. They have long lists of names in their dialing booths, all members of the top 0.1%, "our" representatives call to beg for money.

Old 05-26-2017, 03:37 PM

6,354 posts, read 3,652,271 times
Quote:
There are more people in a 75 mile radius of me than in all of Switzerland, and the ocean is just over the hills.
Switzerland is like a smaller American state. But a single states policies can still be studied to show how those policies could work on a larger national scale.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies