Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2017, 11:05 AM

7,480 posts, read 6,262,592 times

Advertisements

My rules.
Yes sir, No sir, How high do you want me to jump, Sir.
Works for me. Try the other methods advocated in this thread and let us know the outcome.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2017, 11:10 AM

13,806 posts, read 9,709,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spottednikes View Post
Common sense would tell you that if you are stoped by police, you follow instructions. If, after everything is done, you think they violated your rights, then you hire a lawyer afterwards. You don't argue with a person with a gun and authority...

That would be what I would do. However, sometimes people have bad days where everything seems to be going wrong...and then here comes the police stopping you for no reason (in your mind, if you are not aware of committing any infractions). Police should understand that such is the nature of dealing with the public. This is why the police need and should be expected to take the higher ground.....to keep the peace and protect and serve.

Many people in the black community FEAR the police. The police should recognize this fear. The people getting PAID here are the police. Its their job to PROTECT AND SERVE the communities they police. They are not serving the community by creating an atmosphere of fear and distrust that is fomented by belligerence and arrogance by police officers. Should the guy have just given his ID? That is a no brainier. The police officer though, being the one on the Job and being Paid, is EXPECTED to calm a situation, when possible, and not escalate it. Simply tell the guy why you are stopping them SHOWS RESPECT. You escalate a situation like this by not showing respect. Again, the driver did not at all sound belligerent when he asked the question.

What police do when they go into black communities is like purposely poking a hornets nest.....to get a reaction.

Old 05-26-2017, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southern man View Post
My rules.
Yes sir, No sir, How high do you want me to jump, Sir.
Works for me. Try the other methods advocated in this thread and let us know the outcome.
To tell you the truth. I don't want to live in a society like that. I am a MAN. I want to be treated with RESPECT. I don't want there to be people who can dehumanize me, disrespect me, shoot me, just because I question them, make a wrong move, etc., just because they wear a badge and really are not no more of a man than me.....and LESSER often times. That means that anyone with a badge and an "ism" or bad day....can treat me like crap....and I am supposed to just smile and say yes sir, no sir, thank you sir.....thats BS!!! Not in 2017.

Obviously this is not an issue in some communities like it is in others.....because I cannot see any MAN accepting another man treating him like crap just because he has a badge. If you are not complaining....then your community really cannot empathize. There are people who get killed because when the robber points and tells them to give it up.....they don't give it up. Its foolish but to some people their pride and dignity is worth more than their lives. That is something people with no pride or dignity could never understand.

Old 05-26-2017, 11:19 AM

13,898 posts, read 6,446,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indentured Servant View Post
To tell you the truth. I don't want to live in a society like that. I am a MAN. I want to be treated with RESPECT. I don't want there to be people who can dehumanize me, disrespect me, shoot me, just because I question them, make a wrong move, etc., just because they wear a badge and really are not no more of a man than me.....and LESSER often times. That means that anyone with a badge and an "ism" or bad day....can treat me like crap....and I am supposed to just smile and say yes sir, no sir, thank you sir.....thats BS!!! Not in 2017.
I see you are going to be arrested in the near future lol

Old 05-26-2017, 11:37 AM

36,539 posts, read 30,871,648 times
Quote:
You escalate a situation like this by not showing respect. Again, the driver did not at all sound belligerent when he asked the question.
The officer says "how you doing, sir? Do you have your DL and registration on you?"
answers "whats going on man"
Officer asks again, again whats going on man. Officer say I'll tell you once I see who you are. Then they guy starts with I'm not going to ......

That's the wrong answer, I don't care who you are.
Belligerent is too strong but uncooperative and willfully combative.

Old 05-26-2017, 11:42 AM

209 posts, read 220,153 times
Quote:

Obviously this is not an issue in some communities like it is in others.....because I cannot see any MAN accepting another man treating him like crap just because he has a badge. If you are not complaining....then your community really cannot empathize. There are people who get killed because when the robber points and tells them to give it up.....they don't give it up. Its foolish but to some people their pride and dignity is worth more than their lives. That is something people with no pride or dignity could never understand.
The police in the U.S. have far too much power.

If you study U.S. history, black people are often used as the social "guinea pigs." In essence, various tactics and policies are first tested on blacks before implementing the same tactics and behaviors onto other groups (including whites).

Old 05-26-2017, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Water4Life View Post
The police in the U.S. have far too much power.

If you study U.S. history, black people are often used as the social "guinea pigs." In essence, various tactics and policies are first tested on blacks before implementing the same tactics and behaviors onto other groups (including whites).
Could you provide a link(s) to that please?

Old 05-26-2017, 11:45 AM

[quote=2mares;48291386]
Quote:
Bologna. Cops are people too and have bad days, everyone does. Seriously, cops are not there to coddle you, be your friend or brighten your day. People in those positions, cops, EMTs, firefighters put themselves in harms way, for them the nature of the public is often protecting the public from themselves, protecting themselves from the public or protecting the public from the public so no they shouldnt have to put up with the chit exhibited by this guy. Have you ever dealt with court clerks, the DMV, judges? Pull that crap on those public servants and see how gracious they become.

That guy wasnt afraid, he was combative and stupid. What exactly do think is meant by protect and serve.
No....you are paid to be better than that. You are trained to be better than that. Pilots are people too....thus, they should be able to get drunk or high and board the plane just like their passengers do. BS!!!! When you accept certain positions and jobs you are held to a high standard and SHOULD be. You carry lethal authority and peoples lives in your hands a police officer......you cannot be like any Joe Blow while in uniform. People who cannot handle that responsible should be filtered out the police force. This stuff is allowed to go on because the GENERAL PUBLIC is not the primary victims of such behavior.....like poor communities are, especially poor black communities.

Old 05-26-2017, 11:54 AM

30,253 posts, read 23,742,275 times
The police do not have to tell you why they stopped you. If you believe that they had no reason, you can contest that in a court of law.

You do have to show your ID if you are driving...yes, that includes in MI. The reason is because while normally in MI you would not have to show ID for simply being questioned, if you are driving, which is a privilege not a right, you have to prove that you have the proper papers. The cop had every right to ask him for those papers before telling him anything for the very simple fact that he was driving.

I do not agree with everyone who says, "Just comply" if you legally do not have to, but in this case, it was actually required of the guy to show his papers because he was driving in the first place. You do not have the right to drive - therefore, if/when you are pulled over, you have to show that you're legally allowed to drive.

That's not a "police state". That is not "taking away freedoms".

Driving is not a right.

He should have listened to his wife. You can hear her tell him, several times, to give the officer the ID.

Old 05-26-2017, 11:57 AM

Quote:

No....you are paid to be better than that. You are trained to be better than that. Pilots are people too....thus, they should be able to get drunk or high on the plane just like their passengers do. BS!!!! When you accept certain positions and jobs you are held to a high standard and SHOULD be. You carry lethal authority and peoples lives in your hands a police officer......you cannot be like any Joe Blow while in uniform. People who cannot handle that responsible should be filtered out the police force.

No that's not what police officers are paid for. If you want cops to spend all day coddling people that have broken the law you need to up their salary. They are paid to enforce the laws not to put up with BS.

Last edited by 2mares; 05-26-2017 at 12:09 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies