Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2017, 12:05 PM

13,806 posts, read 9,707,171 times

Advertisements

[quote=2mares;48291750]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indentured Servant View Post

No that's not what police officers are paid for. If you want cops to spend all day coddling people that have broken the law you need to up their salary. They are paid to enforce the laws not to put up with BS.
It's not cuddling people to deescalate a situation by simply providing a reason why you have detained a person. Its called RESPECT and being professional.

Do you play Chess? Well, if you do or do not, you should not be comforted that the police can do this. Eventually there current moves are going to impact upon your quality of life. Right now you are saying what you are saying because its no skin of you.....but eventually it will be.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2017, 12:06 PM

6,897 posts, read 4,752,340 times
Quote:
Iz belong to Mr. Charlie officer.

Of course....the usual will find no problems with this, on the officers part, but more and more this is not looking like a free society.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DbBFaWzMHAQ

A part of me almost wish that the car had hit the officer when he fell after shattering the glass.

"The ACLU acknowledged the officer was correct that Jones is obligated to present his driver's license upon request and without explanation during a traffic stop, but contends the officer could have handled the situation without escalating tensions''

Police dashcam video of violent arrest prompts ACLU complaint | MLive.com

Last edited by Ghostrider275452; 05-26-2017 at 01:00 PM..

Old 05-26-2017, 12:08 PM

4,996 posts, read 2,445,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texan2yankee View Post
When Texas driver refuses to ID, police officer smashes window to remove him from the car - Houston Chronicle

On May 2, an officer with the Addison Police Department stopped 49-year-old Scott Richardson for driving 50 mph in a 40 mph zone. After Richardson's repeated refusal to show identification, the officer opened a baton, smashed Richardson's mostly-raised driver-side window, opened the door, removed Richardson and arrested him.

David Margulies, a spokesman for the Addison Police Department, said the officer was "absolutely" in the right so break the window.

"[Richardson] did not comply with the lawful order from the police officer repeatedly and the officer is permitted to force him to comply."

He was arrested and charged with driving with an invalid license, having expired license plates and failing to present his driver's license upon demand. The officer issued a warning for the traffic violations.

Comply with the law, do what an officer says, or be arrested and suffer the consequences.
Yup...This was not a 'random' stop..the driver had committed an infraction of the law while driving and is required to show that he has a driver's license.

When he refused, the officer had no choice...when a driver refuses to show his license, the police have to wonder why he's not willing--and just what risk he poses.

It has nothing to do with 'showing your papers'.

Just show your license..admit your fault..get your ticket and move on--Oh wait..the guy didn't have a license..if fact, was not supposed to be driving..and was in violation of the law.

To some of those who seem to feel that the officer was 'not nice enough'--really??

Old 05-26-2017, 12:16 PM

36,529 posts, read 30,863,516 times
Quote:
It's not cuddling people to deescalate a situation by simply providing a reason why you have detained a person. Its called RESPECT and being professional.

Do you play Chess? Well, if you do or do not, you should not be comforted that the police can do this. Eventually there current moves are going to impact upon your quality of life. Right now you are saying what you are saying because its no skin of you.....but eventually it will be.
The driver should not have created a situation. He wasn't being detained until he refused to show his license, he was pulled over for a traffic violation. He was asked for DL and registration as everyone who is pulled over is. If you drive you must show the officer your license. The officer did not have to give him a reason to see his license. The driver created a situation where there was none. Why should an officer do as someone says to try to prevent them from creating a situation, that is coddling.

I wont have this type of encounter because if I'm pulled over I just go ahead and get my DL, registration and proof of insurance out because I know the officer will ask for it. Why, because I am required by law to have these things if I am driving. It is irrelevant why he/she pulled me over.

Old 05-26-2017, 12:19 PM

36,529 posts, read 30,863,516 times
Quote:
The cop was totally wrong, why didn't he just tell him why he pulled him over. Talk about an over reaction by the police.

"The ACLU acknowledged the officer was correct that Jones is obligated to present his driver's license upon request and without explanation during a traffic stop, but contends the officer could have handled the situation without escalating tensions''
Yes, police officers could kiss peoples arses, let them do as they please and lose all respect and control over those they are suppose to respect and serve. If we dont want them to enforce the laws then we need to just do away with any police force.

Old 05-26-2017, 12:21 PM

Quote:
The officer was arrogant. He did not feel obligated to explain why he was stopping this man. Should police have the right to stop you and not even give you a reason why?

It's videos like these that will eventually change police protocol......because it should be changed.
The cop escalated the situation, but the protocol is to present drivers license, registration and proof of insurance. The police have the right to do this, they will then take the paperwork back to the car and radio it in to see if there are any outstanding warrants and make sure all is in order. I don't see what it would have hurt for the cop to tell him why he was being pulled over, it would have save a lot of hassle. OTOH, the driver does not have the right to refuse to show him his paperwork and could have been more cooperative.

Old 05-26-2017, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
The driver should not have created a situation. He wasn't being detained until he refused to show his license, he was pulled over for a traffic violation. He was asked for DL and registration as everyone who is pulled over is. If you drive you must show the officer your license. The officer did not have to give him a reason to see his license. The driver created a situation where there was none. Why should an officer do as someone says to try to prevent them from creating a situation, that is coddling.

I wont have this type of encounter because if I'm pulled over I just go ahead and get my DL, registration and proof of insurance out because I know the officer will ask for it. Why, because I am required by law to have these things if I am driving. It is irrelevant why he/she pulled me over.
Uh....when the police put the flashing light on you and pull you over....YOU ARE BEING DETAINED!!! If the driver asked "am I free to go" the answer would have been "No". Thus, he was being detained.

In the end, if this changes police protocol to require that they provide reason for stopping someone, then policing will have advanced. This is how things work. Things get better because people resist and or complain, suits are filed and things change.

It would have cost the officer nothing, but pride, to simply tell the driver why he was being detained. Instead, you have created another incident that will only further foment bad relationship with the black community.

Old 05-26-2017, 12:30 PM

3,538 posts, read 1,327,950 times
This is what we're dealing with. Cop was more worried about putting the guy in his place instead of just telling him what the issue was. This is what over policing looks like. Just stopping people all day for minor crap and escalating stuff to violence. At what point do we all start talking about serious police reform? 4 or 5 men taking down someone over some traffic crap. Yall wonder why people hate the police.

Old 05-26-2017, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostrider275452 View Post
The cop escalated the situation, but the protocol is to present drivers license, registration and proof of insurance. The police have the right to do this, they will then take the paperwork back to the car and radio it in to see if there are any outstanding warrants and make sure all is in order. I don't see what it would have hurt for the cop to tell him why he was being pulled over, it would have save a lot of hassle. OTOH, the driver does not have the right to refuse to show him his paperwork and could have been more cooperative.
Just because that is how something works does not mean that is how it should work or that is the best practice for such scenarios. It was once the law in the South that public accommodations were separated by race. People resisted, sat in at lunch counters, got arrested, suits were filled and eventually those laws were overturned.

You should not be able to stop someone, detain them and not immediately give them a reason why this is taking place. What THREAT was posed by the question?

Old 05-26-2017, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Well....slavery was the law. Laws are not and have never been synonymous with morality. Do you want to live under Sharia Law? Those are laws with consequences. Would you accept those "laws"?

I have run stops signs before......because I did not see them. It was an honest mistake. The point being is that I did not know that I ran a stop sign until someone in the car told me. This person likely had no clue why he was being pulled over and asked for Identification. If you CHOOSE to be a police officer then you should be trained in interpersonal skills to deescalate situations. You don't treat people like "you are the King" and everyone is your subjects and must bow down to your every command. That breeds resentment and confrontation......especially in the black community where people often fell beat down as it is.....and are tired of it.
You have to give the police benefit of the doubt, they have no clue who they are pulling over and by seeing your ID and all paperwork is legit, it can be relieving to them that you are a decent person and not some hood rat out for a joy ride with someone else's car. As for him/you running a stop sign he/you could have T boned someone and killed them, you should be alert and looking for stop signs, they are there for a reason. Driving is a full time job.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies