Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2017, 12:33 PM

36,527 posts, read 30,856,131 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indentured Servant View Post
Uh....when the police put the flashing light on you and pull you over....YOU ARE BEING DETAINED!!! If the driver asked "am I free to go" the answer would have been "No". Thus, he was being detained.

In the end, if this changes police protocol to require that they provide reason for stopping someone, then policing will have advanced. This is how things work. Things get better because people resist and or complain, suits are filed and things change.

It would have cost the officer nothing, but pride, to simply tell the driver why he was being detained. Instead, you have created another incident that will only further foment bad relationship with the black community.
The driver was definitely detained because he was too ignorant to produce a DL.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2017, 12:34 PM

13,806 posts, read 9,705,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8won6 View Post
This is what we're dealing with. Cop was more worried about putting the guy in his place instead of just telling him what the issue was. This is what over policing looks like. Just stopping people all day for minor crap and escalating stuff to violence. At what point do we all start talking about serious police reform? 4 or 5 men taking down someone over some traffic crap. Yall wonder why people hate the police.
Amen! But seeing police treat black folks like that is why some people love the police.

Old 05-26-2017, 12:35 PM

3,538 posts, read 1,327,650 times
also, the driver was just asking simple questions. The cop was not willing to communicate. I feel like i'm seeing this more and more...civilians more calm than the police and the police acting like rabid dogs because "comply or die". Without the video better believe the whole situation would have been lied about by those cops.

Old 05-26-2017, 12:36 PM

13,898 posts, read 6,443,819 times
Quote:
Uh....when the police put the flashing light on you and pull you over....YOU ARE BEING DETAINED!!! If the driver asked "am I free to go" the answer would have been "No". Thus, he was being detained.

In the end, if this changes police protocol to require that they provide reason for stopping someone, then policing will have advanced. This is how things work. Things get better because people resist and or complain, suits are filed and things change.

It would have cost the officer nothing, but pride, to simply tell the driver why he was being detained. Instead, you have created another incident that will only further foment bad relationship with the black community.
Are you trying to say that this guy didn't know he was violating any traffic laws? He didn't know he didn't have a license? He didn't know his plates were expired? If anything this incident will show the complete disrespect many in the black community have for the police and they bring these situations on to themselves.

Old 05-26-2017, 12:36 PM

6,897 posts, read 4,751,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loveshiscountry View Post
When you are pulled over the officer has to tell you why in order to see your drivers license. Otherwise all you have to is give your name.
That cop is apiece of garbage. Notice how he tries to drag him trough the window first instead of opening the door? i hope that dirty cop goes down.
NOT TRUE, "The ACLU acknowledged the officer was correct that Jones is obligated to present his driver's license upon request and without explanation during a traffic stop"

Old 05-26-2017, 12:37 PM

3,538 posts, read 1,327,650 times
Quote:
Amen! But seeing police treat black folks like that is why some people love the police.
exactly. I wasn't even going to get deep on race for once. LOL. The video speaks for itself. Certain neighborhoods are just overpoliced like this.

13,898 posts, read 6,443,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8won6 View Post
also, the driver was just asking simple questions. The cop was not willing to communicate. I feel like i'm seeing this more and more...civilians more calm than the police and the police acting like rabid dogs because "comply or die". Without the video better believe the whole situation would have been lied about by those cops.
Just stop already. The guy clearly knew he was driving illegally.

13,806 posts, read 9,705,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostrider275452 View Post
You have to give the police benefit of the doubt, they have no clue who they are pulling over and by seeing your ID and all paperwork is legit, it can be relieving to them that you are a decent person and not some hood rat out for a joy ride with someone else's car. As for him/you running a stop sign he/you could have T boned someone and killed them, you should be alert and looking for stop signs, they are there for a reason. Driving is a full time job.
You have to give police the benefit of the doubt why? How is answering a question of why you have stopped someone a potential threat to their safety? The number one reason police give for their violent behavior is that "I was scared". How is "why have you pulled me over" threatening?

Old 05-26-2017, 12:39 PM

Quote:
I totally agree! Police are TRAINED to behave better. The person with the best behavior award should always be the police. That helps make their jobs easier. As the old cliche says...."you can catch more bees with honey than vinegar".
I agree, but maybe black motorists should learn to behave/cooperate better.

Old 05-26-2017, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Going back to the title of my thread, arrest replaced slavery for African Americans. It is a well documented fact that arrest, by police, became the new form of slavery post emancipation. Then, however, prisoners worked on chain gangs as forced labor. Thus, blacks were stopped locked up and made to work, for minor or even false offenses.
Bwa ha ha ha ha ha
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies