Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-26-2017, 09:38 AM

209 posts, read 219,368 times

Advertisements

It was reported that Miss Black Texas 2016 was harassed and berated by a North Texas Police Chief who called her a "black b----," before being unlawfully detained and arrested.

Ponder wrote on her Twitter account that she was driving to a Wal-Mart on Saturday when a truck cut in front of her car. She said the truck was driving erratically. Ponder said she turned on her blinker, pulled around to pass the truck and drove into the Wal-Mart parking lot.

According to Ponder, the truck driver followed her and pulled up next to her in the parking lot. She said the passenger, later identified as Crews, got out of his truck and yelled that he was teaching his 14-year-old daughter how to drive. Crews allegedly told Ponder that she should not have passed his truck.

Ponder said she ignored the man but eventually told him what he did was illegal before she walked into Walmart.

"He continued yelling and cussing me out and I finally turned around and said 'It's illegal,' when he kept saying that it was a 14 year old driving," Ponder wrote. "That's when he screamed 'oh whatever, you black b----!'"

After making a purchase at Walmart, Ponder said she left the store only to be charged by several other officers in plain clothes.

“One of them shoved his badge in her face, told her that she ‘better apologize to the police chief,’ but Ponder refused to do so. One of the officers grabbed her, pulled her back into Wal-Mart, and told her she was being detained. When other officers arrived she walked back to her car to explain what happened. An officer grabbed her and demanded she be arrested for resisting arrest. She has bruises on her arms from where she was grabbed.

Ponder was handcuffed, booked into jail, and charged with evading arrest. She spent 24 hours behind bars. Authorities said Crews was placed on administrative leave while an outside organization conducts an investigation.

Ponder studies law at Texas A&M University-Commerce. She is a Dean’s List student, a paralegal intern at a district attorney’s office, and a former Miss Black Texas U.S. Ambassador.

After reading about the countless racial issues in TX, it boggles my mind why blacks continue to reside there. I'm not stating that other areas in the U.S. are great for black people, but I am stating that Texas is one of the most racist places on earth. I can't imagine how Carmen feels. She did everything right, but because she is a black woman and not viewed as a human being, she was detained, arrested and jailed. This story ruined my day!

deadspin-quote-carrot-aligned-w-bgr-2
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2017, 10:00 AM

5,717 posts, read 18,849,306 times
Like any other published story, there's probably a lot more to it. The news can't sell boring news, they have to put a spin on it and a lot of times it's spinning so fast it doesn't even resemble reality anymore. Nobody on the internet knows what the true story is.

The fact that a black lady IS a former Miss Texas should tell anybody of any amount of intelligence that in Texas, we don't care about the color of your skin. If you're good people, you're more than welcome. If you're a moron, well, Texas can't fix stupid.

Quote:
This story ruined my day!
Let me help you there. Get a life. If this fabrication destroyed your day you have way too much time on your hands. Get a job, volunteer somewhere, and turn the dam TV off.

Old 05-26-2017, 10:07 AM

1,591 posts, read 2,398,903 times
Paris is very well known as being a particularly racist area and this wasn't far from it so not surprising.

Old 05-26-2017, 10:26 AM

19,855 posts, read 65,704,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrapperL View Post
The fact that a black lady IS a former Miss Texas should tell anybody of any amount of intelligence that in Texas, we don't care about the color of your skin. If you're good people, you're more than welcome. If you're a moron, well, Texas can't ......
She is a former Miss BLACK Texas. Not the same as being Miss Texas.

Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.

Old 05-26-2017, 11:23 AM

209 posts, read 219,368 times
Quote:
Like any other published story, there's probably a lot more to it. The news can't sell boring news, they have to put a spin on it and a lot of times it's spinning so fast it doesn't even resemble reality anymore. Nobody on the internet knows what the true story is.

The fact that a black lady IS a former Miss Texas should tell anybody of any amount of intelligence that in Texas, we don't care about the color of your skin. If you're good people, you're more than welcome. If you're a moron, well, Texas can't fix stupid.

Let me help you there. Get a life. If this fabrication destroyed your day you have way too much time on your hands. Get a job, volunteer somewhere, and turn the dam TV off.
Why don't you take your own advice? Apparently you are the one who needs to volunteer, get a job and turn off fox "news."

Old 05-26-2017, 11:48 AM

3,538 posts, read 1,322,959 times
Quote:
The fact that a black lady IS a former Miss Texas should tell anybody of any amount of intelligence that in Texas, we don't care about the color of your skin.

That dirty Texas cop cared that she was black when he insulted her. It clearly had something to do with it.

and what exactly was she initially supposed to be arrested for since she was "evading arrest"? And yes, it is illegal for a 14 year old to be driving a vehicle. So i'm confused as to why the black woman was arrested for evading arrest. Arrest for what?

Old 05-26-2017, 11:57 AM

13,806 posts, read 9,676,336 times
Quote:

I consider myself fairly intelligent, and I do not read that at all. I say if the 27 plus million people in Texas played a part in the voting process, with the Majority of non-black Texans voting for her.....then I would make that leap. However, somehow I do not think that is how she won Miss Texas.

Too many racist people try to hide their racism behind the non-racism of others. When Obama was first elected President, the main people who were against him was using his election to prove that racism is not a factor in America.....like blacks complain it is. I am sure nearly every racist in America voted against Obama.....yet, they will argue that his election proves that racism is not a factor...lol

Old 05-26-2017, 12:23 PM

385 posts, read 487,437 times
Sure....there could be a lot more to it but "a lot more to it" does not justify what happened to this woman, period. This was a bad situation no matter how you try to spin it. Any reasonable person (regardless of their race or political affiliation) would agree.

While we don't know all of the facts, we do know that this story is real. It's always odd to me when people try to dismiss these stories like the poster above.

Old 05-26-2017, 12:29 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,745,522 times
there are cops that think because they have a badge that they are above the law, and it doesnt matter if you are black, white, green with purple polka dots, or what ever. if you dare to question them they will respond with insults and possibly arrest you, or have you arrested, for daring to be law abiding and defending yourself.

Old 05-26-2017, 12:52 PM

7,343 posts, read 4,344,885 times
I'm white. I love Texas. I would never live there because of their law enforcement.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies