Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2017, 10:55 AM

2,753 posts, read 3,320,450 times

Advertisements

In other words...

If you're a Republican, do you agree with anything that the Democratic platform believes in?

If you're a Democrat, do you agree with anything that the Republican platform believes in?

The problem with the party system is people become beholden to their party and they feel like they're betraying either themselves or the group by not agreeing to everything the party endorses. In return, you get people, on both sides, supporting nonsense, even if there's undeniable evidence.

Since there's a deep divide in politics in 2017, can we come to any sort of compromise?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2017, 11:19 AM
Noc

1,435 posts, read 2,071,821 times
This is why I don't subscribe to this party system. Both (D) and (R) are in worse shape ever and I'd be embarrassed to align to either. There are rebuttals for any argument either side comes up with. Both sides have members that have been around way too long making the parties stagnant. No fresh idea's and nothing but contradictions and lies. They are either way too far right or far left for my liking.

Old 05-26-2017, 11:22 AM

9,338 posts, read 7,119,732 times
Guns. I love guns, I own a lot, including several assault rifles. I'm a tree-hugging liberal, but I'll be damned if you tree-hugging liberals ever came after my guns.

Old 05-26-2017, 11:41 AM

23,856 posts, read 13,780,185 times
The problem with your question is that I'm no longer sure what Rs stand for. The R president says one thing one day and is soundly cheered by voters, something else again the next day and is still roundly cheered by voters, and the R party platform says something else entirely. The GOP establishment mostly keeps its mouth shut, who the hell knows what they're up to.

Old 05-26-2017, 11:45 AM

6,927 posts, read 6,948,694 times
I'm fond of my liberal guns myself. No gal should be without a shotgun at the very least! Once upon a time I was an Independent and voted for candidates that I thought had the most integrity - either side of the party lines. Alas, the Republican party seems to have gone clear around the bend lately. I can't make myself like anything at all about 45 and his partners in crime. Tax cuts for the rich while taking away health care for 23 million Americans? Slashing education programs? Nope. Can't stomach those people who are unwitting pawns of the Koch brothers, et al.

Old 05-26-2017, 11:46 AM

5,315 posts, read 2,119,064 times
I am checked out of the party system until something changes. It's now all about winning and socking it to the other side any way you can instead of really caring about actual policies and laws.

Old 05-26-2017, 11:47 AM

26,661 posts, read 28,733,368 times
The extreme fanatical edges of each party are at opposite ends of the spectrum and I don't know if they serve the needs of anyone except people who get rich from them. I make decisions issue by issue.

Most of my beliefs fall within the moderate Democratic party limits except for my position on our borders. Letting anyone sneak into the country is wrong. There's a legal process and we need to fix that process so that people can come here legally if they meet the qualifications. WE are the ones to decide if they can come here. It's not up to them, it's up to us. I would crack down on potential Muslim terrorists too instead of thinking they're all wonderful. We need to stop being so PC.

Old 05-26-2017, 11:47 AM

36,588 posts, read 30,928,782 times
I'm pro-choice. I dont support the cuts to Planed parenthood or the silly restrictions states put on abortions.

Old 05-26-2017, 11:52 AM

8,886 posts, read 4,598,105 times
I voted for President Trump, but I'd like to see a single payer/universal health care system put into place. It'll never happen as long as insurance companies and the AMA can buy politicians at will.

Old 05-26-2017, 11:52 AM

12,275 posts, read 7,153,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skins_fan82 View Post
Guns. I love guns, I own a lot, including several assault rifles. I'm a tree-hugging liberal, but I'll be damned if you tree-hugging liberals ever came after my guns.
I'm not a gun owner, and I don't like guns myself, but I believe the 2nd Amendment should be respected.

I'm also strongly against illegal immigration and sanctuary cities. I also favour more caution in accepting refugees and new immigrants.

I also don't agree with affirmative action or giving endless foreign aid. Also, I'm against uncontrolled globalism to the extent it compromises the ability for Americans to have jobs.

Also, although I'm pro-choice, I would absolutely ban abortion after 20 weeks, unless absolutely necessary for the mother's life/health.

Also, I agree with slashing welfare for people who have more than two kids (unless they were unfortunate enough to bear triplets or something).

Oh, and I believe that respecting the 1st Amendment entails allowing private businesses to be as bigoted as desired in regards to refusing service (with the exception of emergency services).

Also, I think Christianity is overly vilified, as are white males. Most people of these groups are normal people just minding their own business, as most people of every official demographic group is.

And I don't think student loan forgiveness should be a thing. All it ultimately does is indirectly increase the costs of college going forward.

I also think corporate tax rates are outrageous, and only encourages the biggest to exploit all the endless loopholes to the point of paying little. I say, halve the corporate tax rate but close all the loopholes.

Last edited by ohhwanderlust; 05-26-2017 at 12:03 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies