Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2017, 08:02 PM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,585,101 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post
The only thing that will happen is that people will vent on FacePuke and various forums. Americans are too weak to actually do anything.
So you think, that's because the people have a lot to lose right now. Someone with nothing to lose, and armed, is very dangerous
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2017, 08:38 PM

34,278 posts, read 19,356,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post
You'll never have a 25% Unemployment Rate.

After a time of being unemployed, people will simply drop out of the work-force, which is exactly what happened during the last recession.
If you need to work to survive, you won't drop out. Thus driving that number, and also driving the need that I think will cause this. If not, then *shrug*, lets soldier on.

Quote:
If, as you all claim, technology will take-over, the process will be slow and methodical, not sudden and drastic, so you can all stop with the fear-mongering.
Found the person that still doesnt comprehend the difference between linear change, and exponential. Look at 100 years ago. MASSIVE change right? Now compare 100 AD to 200 ad. Or even 1400 to 1500. Lots of political stuff, but slow technological change. Im not fear mongering, im pretty excited by it all to be honest.
Quote:
The number of two-wage earner households will decline from 60+% back to 13.5% where it was in the early 1950s, and your Labor Force Participation Rate will be the same as the early 1950s.
I like this argument of the ones you have presented. Could be, and that to me would be a good thing. More children raised by parents? More stable families? I like that.

Quote:
People will slowly adjust and learn to do less with less. You'll see more communal living arrangements and other effects.
...because why? No really. Why would we suddenly have to adjust down in a time where more and more is possible and available? Your argument might work if we stopped developing completely-thats not what I see as being the future.
Quote:
All of you operate on the false assumption that you are entitled to a 1st World Standard of Living. You're not, and the sooner you realize that, the better off you'll be.
Uh huh. But everyone else before us managed it, and suddenly...bam we shouldn't?

Thats not even remotely logical

Old 05-29-2017, 08:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NxtGen View Post
The problem is that there will always be new disciplines and needs. With every adaption, a new concept opens up, which allows new possibilities for such. It is limited thinking that constantly fear mongers the end of the world, this is no different.
A couple of people believe this, and they use some pretty reasonable arguments. Its the idea that as workers get displaced by technology, that they find new jobs created by that technology. And its a relatively reasonable argument, because in the past it has worked that way. Except for one thing. This time we dont have another ability beyond whats replacing us.

Humans went from farm work, into factories because they could no longer compete with machinery in the brute strength department.

Then we went from factories into jobs requiring the use of our brain, and adapability.

Today we are working on combining AI, and automation, resulting in things that are smarter, faster, and stronger then us. What new jobs will we compete in, and how do you possibly imagine there will be enough of them? What do humans bring to it that we will do better the our creations?

So far the only solution I have seen come close is some of the advanced ideas proposed for neural lace, combining us in ways with a AI. Even then I am not sure that is a workable long term solution.

Technological change has never been linear, its exponential, and we are starting to see it today. People should plan for it. Start taking a look at the kinds of technologies being worked on, and recognize not only what they will bring to the table, but the kinds of changes they will bring when combined with other technologies. This isnt fear mongering, this is a discussion about planning.

Old 05-29-2017, 09:09 PM

24,385 posts, read 23,041,608 times
Dumb the population down and ensure they lose their skills for survival and self sustenance. Not to mention all cohesion as a society. Then they'd be easy prey to wipe out or at least to completely dominate.
Anybody liking Zuckerberg's suggestion is either an imbecilic fool or they want humanity taken down.

Old 05-29-2017, 10:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icy Tea View Post
Dumb the population down and ensure they lose their skills for survival and self sustenance. Not to mention all cohesion as a society. Then they'd be easy prey to wipe out or at least to completely dominate.
Anybody liking Zuckerberg's suggestion is either an imbecilic fool or they want humanity taken down.
Dumb them down? You might like say...underfunding schools, and pushing for private schools for the ones who could afford it?

Zuckerburgs suggestion would actually allow a lot more time and opportunity to study.

Old 05-29-2017, 11:25 PM

13,586 posts, read 13,107,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
Or said a different way 95% of people are working which IMO is about as good as can be expected. Guaranteed income may sound like a good idea in a civilized society however i'm wondering whats going to motivate people to work if they can make a decent living by not working.
$1100 a month is not really a decent living, it's just a subsistence rate depending on where you live, so people would work for their toys. Iphones, cars, nice clothes ,etc. that's IF they could find a job. The whole scenerio is dependent on massive unemployment caused by automation.

They would need to keep the amount awarded to children quite low, except in special circumstances like disability, to disincentivize out of wedlock births.

Old 05-29-2017, 11:29 PM

13,586 posts, read 13,107,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm1982 View Post
It will allow people to be more creative ... or just spend it all on drugs and alcohol .
That's a self-limiting problem.

Old 05-30-2017, 12:08 AM

2,301 posts, read 1,884,227 times
Give me free $16999 a year. Why not?

Old 05-30-2017, 06:53 AM

3,271 posts, read 2,187,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NxtGen View Post
You are lying.
I am? You don't have a clue. I doubt you even know the industry I operate in exists.

Last edited by Jobster; 05-30-2017 at 08:13 AM..

Old 05-30-2017, 07:13 AM

448 posts, read 365,561 times
Zuke may be able to code but he is an idiot outside of that. He has shown autistic tendency's. 90% of the coding community is on the autistic spectrum. Its also a false argument called appeal to authority. Just because Steve Jobs also on the autistic spectrum can do well in silicon valley does not mean his opinion on anything else is enlightened. Just like Musk who the idiots follow like the pied pipper of Hamlin with every idiotic thing that drips from his lips.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies