Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2017, 10:20 AM

2,079 posts, read 4,950,357 times

Advertisements

The civil war, slavery, and the antebellum period were defining moments in American History and will never be forgotten.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2017, 09:58 AM

1,296 posts, read 1,120,183 times
"Also to the ignorant and terminally stupid, the battle flag of Northern Virginia, which you idiots keep describing incorrectly (is anyone surprised?) as the stars and bars, was not a symbol of slavery, it was a symbol of independence from an overbearing government, the same as the stars and stripes in the revolutionary war.

Why didn't you emphasize the second half of the statement as well? Never got that part in Civics class? Oh, sorry, not your fault. The NEA has made sure Civics isn't even taught any more, that would go against their agenda of propaganda over education.

Old 05-29-2017, 10:52 AM

11,338 posts, read 16,691,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dorado0359 View Post
The civil war, slavery, and the antebellum period were defining moments in American History and will never be forgotten.
Correct as this time in American history should never be forgotten, but we need to learn from it and that's where we fail.

Old 05-29-2017, 11:12 AM

51,651 posts, read 25,790,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by camaro69 View Post
Correct as this time in American history should never be forgotten, but we need to learn from it and that's where we fail.
To attack your own country over keeping people as slaves is hardly an honorable endeavor and despite the South Shall Rise

States Rights issue continues to this day.

Should states get to decide who has access to birth control, marijuana, health insurance, wedding licenses, ...

Where do we draw the line?

Old 05-29-2017, 11:17 AM

5,097 posts, read 2,312,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bawac34618 View Post
It's been 150 years and sometimes it seems like we are still dealing with the fallout of the Civil War.

When you think about it, our culture, ideology, and way of life as Americans is still sharply divided based on whether you are in a former Confederate state or former Union state. While things have and are changing in most of the urban areas in the South, in much of the rural South people hang on to the Confederate flag with the same pride and loyalty they have to the U.S. flag, if not more so. Confederate monuments, despite the fact that the Confederacy was beat badly, are symbols of pride for Southerners.

I've heard people describe Trump's Presidency as the "South rising again," a common theme in Southern culture. I live in the South so I see it all the time. It's a very different mindset compared to most of the United States. Southern ideology tries to tow a fine line between right-wing authoritarianism and rugged individualism. People have the right to pursue their own form of happiness, as long as they adhere to the morals and values of their heritage and their God.

Northern culture is much more comfortable with the melting pot that America is.
Southern ideology is much more tribalist in nature and rejects multiculturalism. Of course I want to say again because I know somebody will respond with this; this ideology doesn't represent the ENTIRE South and many cities in the South are as diverse and as purple as they have ever been. This mostly applies to the rural South and the smaller cities.

With all this in mind, it's clear that are polarization we are seeing today is very much a legacy of the war between the states. I wonder if we will ever move on as a country?
No. The north is as segregated as all hell. Probably more segregated than the south, really.

Old 05-29-2017, 11:22 AM

9,694 posts, read 7,386,107 times
if we had open border like the liberal want, then there would be no reason to have a government or states, people wander as they please, kinda like europe, instead of having countries just one big unlawed area, a territory

Old 05-29-2017, 11:28 AM

78,863 posts, read 46,596,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bawac34618 View Post
It's been 150 years and sometimes it seems like we are still dealing with the fallout of the Civil War.

When you think about it, our culture, ideology, and way of life as Americans is still sharply divided based on whether you are in a former Confederate state or former Union state. While things have and are changing in most of the urban areas in the South, in much of the rural South people hang on to the Confederate flag with the same pride and loyalty they have to the U.S. flag, if not more so. Confederate monuments, despite the fact that the Confederacy was beat badly, are symbols of pride for Southerners.

I've heard people describe Trump's Presidency as the "South rising again," a common theme in Southern culture. I live in the South so I see it all the time. It's a very different mindset compared to most of the United States. Southern ideology tries to tow a fine line between right-wing authoritarianism and rugged individualism. People have the right to pursue their own form of happiness, as long as they adhere to the morals and values of their heritage and their God.

Northern culture is much more comfortable with the melting pot that America is. Southern ideology is much more tribalist in nature and rejects multiculturalism. Of course I want to say again because I know somebody will respond with this; this ideology doesn't represent the ENTIRE South and many cities in the South are as diverse and as purple as they have ever been. This mostly applies to the rural South and the smaller cities.

With all this in mind, it's clear that are polarization we are seeing today is very much a legacy of the war between the states. I wonder if we will ever move on as a country?

How can we, when history is being hidden from view, so we are not reminded how we got past that and to learn from our mistakes.
Then you have teachers making white children today, feel ashamed of people they never knew and all just to associate it with the color of their skin and they should feel ashamed to walk the earth.

No. We will never get past the Civil War.... It is what decided that the government was bigger than the Constitution. The Constitution that from the beginning allowed all people to have freedom & liberty. The problem was, government had determined people that were bought, were not people. There is government deciding who had freedom and who had liberty. Less than 1% of southerners at the time, owned slaves.
Yet, here we are, the bad white guy narrative, pushed hard. If it were not for a white guy, black people would still be in complete bondage. Not just the bondage to government they have consented to today.

The first challenge to the 2nd amendment, was to keep black people(Freemen) from their right to bear arms. Then second challenge, their right to militia.

Old 05-30-2017, 09:39 PM

2,015 posts, read 1,647,276 times
We're not dealing with it, they are.they just cant get it into their heads that they lost and did deserve to lose.
also on the same note, its amazing how many lectures there are on the civil war on cspan, they should just rename it the civil war channel.Give it up, you lost,move on as the alt right would say what a bunch of snowflakes.

Old 05-30-2017, 09:50 PM

11,011 posts, read 11,018,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fat lou View Post
No. The north is as segregated as all hell. Probably more segregated than the south, really.
It really is once you get out of the major cities. Going to school up there, I felt like I was in some Stepford town or something (worst was boarding school, college a bit better). I couldn't get over it - where were the black people??!!??? At college, I met/saw more Asians than blacks and it was nice to get back home to the South to see ah - I'm not in some white Patagonia LLBean weirdo bubble world or something.

Old 05-30-2017, 11:31 PM

37,794 posts, read 40,990,020 times
What Civil War? The lefties are removing all traces of it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies