Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-29-2017, 09:08 AM

45,676 posts, read 24,012,426 times

Advertisements

And when subsequent generations 'lose' their fortunes it usually is through reckless spending and bad investments. That money doesn't trickle down to the poor. That just makes no sense.

Someone inherits 10 million and blows it on bad investments....that doesn't create jobs -- that loses jobs.

Shaking my head.

And the statistic that 80% earned their million is from a book released in 1996. The statistics could have changed substantially.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2017, 09:09 AM

26,694 posts, read 14,563,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderlust76 View Post
I touched on that earlier corporations only tout 401k's because it saves them money in the long run. They do not "help" the economy. Anyone that believes that is a blubbering idiot. As I said, people would take a pension over a 401k match any day of the week.
If the amount and payment period are equal, who in their right mind would do that?

Last edited by lifeexplorer; 05-29-2017 at 09:19 AM..

Old 05-29-2017, 09:09 AM

34,619 posts, read 21,611,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bxlover View Post
What's that mean ?/
Social security is very similar to a pension.

Since you have your government sponsored pension, you should be happy if you don't want a 401k.

Old 05-29-2017, 09:10 AM

Quote:
I touched on that earlier corporations only tout 401k's because it saves them money in the long run. They do not "help" the economy. Anyone that believes that is a blubbering idiot. As I said, people would take a pension over a 401k match any day of the week.
Okay -- that's what I thought -- savings don't help grow an economy.

Old 05-29-2017, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post
If it's under your mattress, no. If it is deposited with a bank that loans it out for a home mortgage or a small business loan, then yes, it does help grow the economy.

Old 05-29-2017, 09:13 AM

Quote:
And when subsequent generations 'lose' their fortunes it usually is through reckless spending and bad investments. That money doesn't trickle down to the poor. That just makes no sense.
Who would be the recipients of that reckless spending?

Quote:
Someone inherits 10 million and blows it on bad investments....that doesn't create jobs -- that loses jobs.
It doesn't? If you blow 10 million on a business investment and it goes bankrupt in 3 years, you didn't create jobs for the 3 years?

Quote:
Shaking my head.

Quote:
And the statistic that 80% earned their million is from a book released in 1996. The statistics could have changed substantially.
It could have. How about providing some data or facts please?

Old 05-29-2017, 09:14 AM

5,722 posts, read 5,799,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post
If the amount and payment period are equal, who is their right mind would do that?
You're making grand assumptions here. You're assuming the average person can afford to take out the maximum from their paycheck, and you're assuming the company has a good 401k matching benefit program. Very few people are in that type of situation.

401k's are a money saver for corporate America plain and simple that's why pensions are a thing of the past. Let me guess you probably think this trickles down to everyone else and creates more jobs or something right, and better wages? Nope, it doesn't.

Old 05-29-2017, 09:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post
If the amount and payment period are equal, who is their right mind would do that?
The reason companies stopped offering pensions as compensation is because they cost more for the company -- meaning the company paid out more.

By making us all buy into the 401K notion and 'matching' a percentage of our savings.....they save a fortune.

But a 401K is necessary indeed and you have to take the match when you can because that's all most companies offer now.

Old 05-29-2017, 09:17 AM

Quote:

Why are banks willing to give you x% of interest so that you keep your money there?

Is that because they are generous people or is that becasue they have invested your money and give you some of their profit back as interest?

Old 05-29-2017, 09:20 AM

Quote:
You're making grand assumptions here. You're assuming the average person can afford to take out the maximum from their paycheck, and you're assuming the company has a good 401k matching benefit program. Very few people are in that type of situation. 401k's are a money saver for corporate America plain and simple that's why pensions are a thing of the past.
The idea of a pension that pays out until death is just plain dumb for businesses because you don't know what the cost will be making it impossible to properly plan financially.

Pensions are absolutely destroying the budgets of most state and local governments.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies