Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2017, 10:10 AM

5,302 posts, read 2,355,152 times

Advertisements

Not sure if it's "trickle-down" (I never hear free market economists mention trickle down...tends to be more of a straw man term used by opponents of the market), but does it not make sense that allowing productive people to keep more of their money is superior to taking it away and giving it to unproductive people?

The problem is that there's a big mess of laws and regulations that favor the big politically connected banks and corporations. There are major corruptions of naturally occurring market forces right now, which is why I want to pull my hair out when people blame capitalism or the free market for anything these days.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2017, 10:11 AM

26,979 posts, read 15,889,092 times
What people need to understand is these tax cuts do not exist in a vacuum. Tax cuts do not put downward pressure on wages. Theoretically, it leads to a uptick in private sector wages.

What is causing the pressure on wages in the West is globalization. Unfortunately the most popular recommended cure, protectionism, will simply make matters worse. This is the era of the consumer and the capitalist. Put as much as you can in your 401K, if you do not have one at work start an IRA. You have to be more active in today's economy.

Just turned 59, never earned more than 70K a year. I could retire at 59.5 if I wish if I had any idea what healthcare would cost in the next half a dozen years.

Of course those who point to stagnant wages as proof trickle down does not work never point to stagnant poverty levels as proof the Great Society's war on poverty has been a massive failure.

Old 05-28-2017, 10:12 AM

8,224 posts, read 3,497,598 times
This is 2015 #s

How Much Does the Government Cost? | Marotta On Money
Quote:
$3,478,314,000,000
United States population in 2015
321.4 million

Want to divide the budget by the population to see what each and every individual would pay? $10,822.38

That's everyones flat tax. That's your college student. Your McDonalds burger flipper, our oil tycoons, Bill Gates etc.

Care to write uncle Sam a check for $10,822.38 at 2015 level to be fair for all? Or just keep taxing corporations 35% federal plus each states level and cry there are job losses and no careers, and manufacturing and all other avenues going to automation to cut costs?

Want to complain about those who invest? You act as though it's difficult or only for someone drawing 250k plus per year to do...

Sorry there's no magical money trees out there... perhaps instead of crying foul, obtain skills in a field that's in demand, master them, and become marketable to employers until you can save up enough to go into business for yourself...

Old 05-28-2017, 10:12 AM

4,540 posts, read 2,784,951 times
Ugh, we already had a 30 page thread on why trickle down is complete nonsense.

Old 05-28-2017, 10:15 AM

7,800 posts, read 4,400,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loveshiscountry View Post
Deregulation was after the fact. We made a ton of little to no down payment mortgage loans that the free market rarely made.
Quit listening to the clowns that never saw the collapse coming. They don't have the answers and never did.
This is wrong. The reason for the mortgage meltdown was not because of loans made to the lower-classes that is only so much right-wing claptrap.

The reason is deregulation that permitted the securitization of loans which were bundled with other loans that were then sold to investors. Lenders then lowered their lending practices to lend more money to bundle more loans to sell to investors. This unfortunately created a domino effect once the loans went bad.

Who started this practice?

GOLDMAN SACHS!

Who now holds all the power in Trump's White House in financial and other regulatory matters?

FORMER GOLDMAN SACHS EMPLOYEES AND PARTNERS.

Scarecrow Republicans need to go to the Wizard to get a brain. You don't have to be the Wizard to see what the future holds.

Old 05-28-2017, 10:17 AM

12,905 posts, read 15,660,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NY_refugee87 View Post
This is 2015 #s

How Much Does the Government Cost? | Marotta On Money

United States population in 2015
321.4 million

Want to divide the budget by the population to see what each and every individual would pay? $10,822.38

That's everyones flat tax. That's your college student. Your McDonalds burger flipper, our oil tycoons, Bill Gates etc.

Care to write uncle Sam a check for $10,822.38 at 2015 level to be fair for all? Or just keep taxing corporations 35% federal plus each states level and cry there are job losses and no careers, and manufacturing and all other avenues going to automation to cut costs?

Want to complain about those who invest? You act as though it's difficult or only for someone drawing 250k plus per year to do...

Sorry there's no magical money trees out there... perhaps instead of crying foul, obtain skills in a field that's in demand, master them, and become marketable to employers until you can save up enough to go into business for yourself...
That's be a sweet deal for me. Where'd you get that number? Because of that 321.4 million, some of them are infants or 3rd graders. You can't have them paying.

Old 05-28-2017, 10:20 AM

34,619 posts, read 21,615,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TreeBeard View Post
This is wrong. The reason for the mortgage meltdown was not because of loans made to the lower-classes that is only so much right-wing claptrap.

The reason is deregulation that permitted the securitization of loans which were bundled with other loans that were then sold to investors. Lenders then lowered their lending practices to lend more money to bundle more loans to sell to investors. This unfortunately created a domino effect once the loans went bad.

Who started this practice?

GOLDMAN SACHS!

Who now holds all the power in Trump's White House in financial and other regulatory matters?

FORMER GOLDMAN SACHS EMPLOYEES AND PARTNERS.

Scarecrow Republicans need to go to the Wizard to get a brain. You don't have to be the Wizard to see what the future holds.
The crisis was caused due to the huge number of subprime mortgages that were being bundled and bought up by Fannie and Freddie.

Old 05-28-2017, 10:28 AM

26,979 posts, read 15,889,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bxlover View Post
Politics aside, save as much as you can. I have will save the max allowed until retirement and a catch up of 6,000 more if I can from 50-64. God willing no economic collapse and I will have over a million and a house paid for. I am a Democratic voter by the way. I save, sacrifice, and give to charity. We all have to save as much as we can.
What people have to realize is that 401Ks replaced private sector pensions. You better be funding them. I got a slow start because I worked for a company for 9 years with a pension that would have paid me 60% of my final year earnings at 85 points (age plus years of service). Company changed hands pension went away. Ended up getting a lump sum of 27K for those 9 years last year. Would have been nicer to retire at 53 on 40 to 50K.

The world changes. You better change with it. Truer now than anytime in history.

One thing is certain when companies go under people lose jobs.

Old 05-28-2017, 10:30 AM

5,722 posts, read 5,800,250 times
It's not just Trump supporters all top 1 percenters try and spew the trickle down lie it's all part of their game.

The U.S. is a consumer and service based economy it can't thrive unless the bottom 99 percent has as much money as possible.

Old 05-28-2017, 10:33 AM

33,316 posts, read 12,527,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
Did you think the banks put the money in special rooms with grow lights where the money reproduces to generate that interest?
LMAO. +1
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies