Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2017, 08:46 AM

34,619 posts, read 21,615,505 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post
My thinking anyone on welfare is working class....I interpreted the question to mean specifically the working class in the rust-belt...not all working class...just those.

And the OP has a point...it is true that unemployed in more urban centers who need govt. assistance are portrayed as lazy and not willing to work.

But somehow those unemployed in rural areas are the forgotten and need the federal govt. to set jobs up for them.
Can you provide a specific example of one person doing this?

Old 05-28-2017, 08:47 AM

6,326 posts, read 6,592,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
Excuses are free. Actions require investment.
Circular reasoning requires just an agenda. Show me a circular reasoning piece and I'll show you a guy on the mission. What is yours? Just feeling narcissistic, what else?

Old 05-28-2017, 08:49 AM

15,637 posts, read 10,393,078 times
Quote:
My thinking anyone on welfare is working class....I interpreted the question to mean specifically the working class in the rust-belt...not all working class...just those.

And the OP has a point...it is true that unemployed in more urban centers who need govt. assistance are portrayed as lazy and not willing to work.

But somehow those unemployed in rural areas are the forgotten and need the federal govt. to set jobs up for them.
"Just those" You are defending stereotyping.

Old 05-28-2017, 08:50 AM

8,090 posts, read 6,964,197 times
Quote:

To be more specific, they need government intervention to help create high-paying jobs that don't require additional education.

Old 05-28-2017, 08:50 AM

18,258 posts, read 22,535,626 times
Poor/low income whites believe that the only thing stopping them from taking their rightful place on top of the totem pole is black and brown people. They are masters at playing the blame game as you can even see on this very forum.

But the Republican party need these people to win elections so every two to four years they rattle their cage with the same rhetoric...gun rights, welfare reform (which a huge percentage of these people are on but think that welfare reform means kicking black and brown off only), affirmative action (which benefits white women more than any other group), crime and drugs (the unspoken heroine epidemic in rural white America which no one seems to want to discuss).

So the reason that lower and working class whites aren't required or asked to lift themselves up is because they don't believe that they need to do so. They just need to get 'others' out of their way and then people with 10th grade educations will all have jobs in factories and coal mines making $80k plus per year.

Old 05-28-2017, 08:51 AM

19,637 posts, read 12,231,401 times
Quote:

Pretty easy, people in cities live where the jobs/clinics/programs are, many rural areas have been depleted of jobs have no health clinic, etc. They have much fewer options.

Old 05-28-2017, 08:52 AM

7,150 posts, read 4,904,543 times
Ever see Deliverance....too much inbreeding.

Old 05-28-2017, 08:53 AM

33,942 posts, read 22,532,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calipoppy View Post
Poor/low income whites believe that the only thing stopping them from taking their rightful place on top of the totem pole is black and brown people. They are masters at playing the blame game as you can even see on this very forum.

But the Republican party need these people to win elections so every two to four years they rattle their cage with the same rhetoric...gun rights, welfare reform (which a huge percentage of these people are on but think that welfare reform means kicking black and brown off only), affirmative action (which benefits white women more than any other group), crime and drugs (the unspoken heroine epidemic in rural white America which no one seems to want to discuss).

So the reason that lower and working class whites aren't required or asked to lift themselves up is because they don't believe that they need to do so. They just need to get 'others' out of their way and then people with 10th grade educations will all have jobs in factories and coal mines making $80k plus per year
This poster sums it up perfectly. Hence all the screaming about deporting brown people.

ONCE that happens - the rust belt middle class will return to their former glory.

Old 05-28-2017, 08:54 AM

18,983 posts, read 9,075,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texan2yankee View Post
Are you defending stereotyping or attempting to make excuses for the OP's stereotyping?
Neither. I'm pointing out the hypocrisy of the right, who have no problem lumping all in minorities in cities into one basket (they're all lazy, expecting handouts, won't relocate to where there is work), but cry foul when the same is applied to a different non-minority population in another region of the country.

I don't think the OP was stereotyping, I think he was trying to make the point about how stereotyping is selectively applied. And your outrage about it being applied to working class whites reinforced that point.

Old 05-28-2017, 08:54 AM

15,637 posts, read 10,393,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calipoppy View Post

So the reason that lower and working class whites aren't required or asked to lift themselves up is because they don't believe that they need to do so. They just need to get 'others' out of their way and then people with 10th grade educations will all have jobs in factories and coal mines making $80k plus per year.
Wow, that is a sweeping stereotype of what "poor/low income whites believe". Did you take a poll to come to this conclusion?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies