Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2017, 09:39 AM

5,722 posts, read 5,797,066 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonym9428 View Post
A large percentage of us in the Bay Area are from other parts of the country. They are everywhere.
I'm from rural Kansas and my neighbor is from rural PA. just two examples

Why do we move here to the Bay? To work, get educated, and pursue a better life. I would never be where I'm at if I stayed in rural Kansas. People have to make the conscious decision to succeed.
Right but now you think you're better than the people that you left.

You left out that little part Tonyboy.

Old 05-28-2017, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringo1 View Post
This is just flat out false. Many people from the west coast came from your area!

I see you want only one side to try and understand the other. Truly, a waste of my time if we aren't ALL going to try.

Most of my friends/family in my former state of WV have never been to Chicago, California, or NYC. They head to Myrtle Beach in the summer and that's it.

IF they aren't going to try - why should anyone else?
Those people probably don't talk about Chicago, California, or NYC though they are happy where they are...but they see newspapers like the NY Times making articles saying bad things about them.

You don't see a Charleston, WV newspaper op ed pointing out all of the bad things about large cities or metros such as gun violence in D.C., yet the reverse isn't true. The NY Times will write op eds talking smack on other areas such as Appalachia and so on.

Who has more of a right to be mad and call out the coastal elites and so on? I think it's pretty clear.

Old 05-28-2017, 09:45 AM

1,768 posts, read 1,637,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderlust76 View Post

Numerous studies have shown that MOST people think they're better than others, so I'm not sure what your point is. Most people think they're more intelligent, more attractive, more moral, better drivers, etc than others. Do some research in the top psychology journals.

Old 05-28-2017, 09:49 AM

4,750 posts, read 3,564,736 times
Quote:

In some ways, he is. I know you're trying to set a trap for him, but there are able bodied people who choose not to work, who use excuses for not bettering themselves. Not everybody, not a majority even.

There's a certain segment of posters who are all about pulling oneself up from his or her bootstraps - - as long as the pulling up isn't to a height where others feel bad about themselves.

Old 05-28-2017, 09:52 AM

39,075 posts, read 51,199,205 times
That's OK. We don't want them here in the sunbelt. We're doing fine with our hard working Mexicans

Old 05-28-2017, 09:53 AM

6,326 posts, read 6,585,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonym9428 View Post
A large percentage of us in the Bay Area are from other parts of the country. They are everywhere.
I'm from rural Kansas and my neighbor is from rural PA. just two examples

Why do we move here to the Bay? To work, get educated, and pursue a better life. I would never be where I'm at if I stayed in rural Kansas. People have to make the conscious decision to succeed.
You failed to link your perceived success with Kansas wheat fields and illegals working Kansas slaughterhouses. On the society wide scale it takes much more than "moving and getting educated", and all of that is interconnected in a game of musical chairs where people are jockeying for the spots with greater parasitic potential, and yet many aspirants just get miserable and anxious trying. It takes losers to run the scheme, thus bootstrapping is little more than social control tool.

Old 05-28-2017, 09:57 AM

4,750 posts, read 3,564,736 times
Quote:
Most people on the west coast do live in a bubble imo so the people whining about coastal elites have a valid position. Whereas people in other parts of the country travel more and see more of the country.

I've been to the west coast, but I never stumble across anyone in my area that's from the west coast. So I can comment on the west coast, but they can't comment on my area because they've never been here. See the difference?
Complete b.s. Where I live in San Diego easily less than half of the people are original Californians, let alone original San Diegans. Just in the small group of close friends that I have out here there are first generation San Diegans that come from Pennsylvania, Michigan, Minnesota, Virginia, and Louisiana. Back before we had families of our own, we'd get together for Thanksgiving because none of us had family out here and it was too expensive to fly back for both Thanksgiving and Christmas. All of the Navy families I know have been stationed all over the United States. I was born in Maryland, grew up in Pennsylvania, and went to college in Virginia and Rhode Island. Every one of my friends have similar stories or living in many different parts of the country. There is no bubble - - they have seen different places and have chosen to live here.

Old 05-28-2017, 09:58 AM

5,993 posts, read 3,731,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texan2yankee View Post
Way to stereotype working-class whites there, gladhands. You and other Progressives assume all working class white rust-belt and Appalachia Americans are uneducated, unemployed, unemployable, and polluting "the water we drink". And the democrats wonder why they continue to lose elections.
Yeah you're going to see support for the Republicans drop pretty fast when these people in Appalachia start losing their Medicaid and disability benefits. They bought into the right wing propaganda for years but it really never affected them so they were happy to stick it to the little guy along with their wealthy overlords. Now it's going to start affecting them directly. The Republicans are already bracing themselves for the s*** storm that's coming.

On another note, I rather like reading comments from cocky right wingers. It's going to make it all the more enjoyable when their egos come crashing down in 2018.

Old 05-28-2017, 10:00 AM

34,619 posts, read 21,598,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahzzie View Post
Yeah you're going to see support for the Republicans drop pretty fast when these people in Appalachia start losing their Medicaid and disability benefits. They bought into the right wing propaganda for years but it really never affected them so they were happy to stick it to the little guy along with their wealthy overlords. Now it's going to start affecting them directly. The Republicans are already bracing themselves for the s*** storm that's coming.

On another note, I rather like reading comments from cocky right wingers. It's going to make it all the more enjoyable when their egos come crashing down in 2018.
Just like 2016?

Old 05-28-2017, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
That's OK. We don't want them here in the sunbelt. We're doing fine with our hard working Mexicans
Yeah you love people that will work for a slave wage right?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies