Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2017, 09:58 AM

5,722 posts, read 5,801,198 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by texan2yankee View Post
Bernie promised $15 minimum wage, free college, free healthcare, and proposed a basic universal income for all.

Why is Pelosi only promising a $15 minimum wage law? Progressives should quit ***** footing around and campaign on confiscating x% of wealth from anyone who has more than $x net worth, free college, free healthcare, universal basic income, abolishing police, and throwing open the borders to all comers.
Bernie was right on all of that why can other first world countries do it but we can't?

They can make college free but only certain programs would be...such as high in demand healthcare degrees and so on. The list of valid degree programs could change or be modified every year and a board would decide what programs this is.

he private and for profit schools don't want that because naturally this financial aid is only going to be valid for public schools.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2017, 10:04 AM

14,221 posts, read 6,963,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texan2yankee View Post
How so?

https://berniesanders.com/issues/inc...th-inequality/

We must come together and reduce income and wealth inequality by:

Increasing the federal minimum wage from $7.25 to $15 an hour by 2020.

Making tuition free at public colleges and universities throughout America.

Guaranteeing healthcare as a right of citizenship by enacting a Medicare for all single-payer healthcare system.

Bernie on basic universal income:

https://youtu.be/SEJz3P9SNac
You lied about basic universal income. Tuition free public colleges and trade schools and guaranteeing healthcare as a right for all Americans citizens instead of wasting trillions on perpetual war mongering in the Middle East are not radical ideas in any way.

Old 05-28-2017, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jm1982 View Post
$9 or $10 is a lot different than $15 .
Not really. All the same arguments were used back then for $10. $15 by 2024 is the equivalent of $10 in 2010.

Old 05-28-2017, 10:07 AM

7,271 posts, read 4,214,344 times
Quote:
One needs to make $33 hr to afford the average apartment in Los Angeles on their own so couldn't one argue that minimum wage in Los Angeles should be $33 hr or more ?
Why not reduce the average rental income instead of raise the hourly wage ? Is it because that would let in "undesirable types" (likely the kind who would benefit from an hourly wage increase)? Isn't if fairer for property owners there to take the hit than the entire population?

When you look at it this way the answer becomes clear: govts want more money to keep their bloated, special interest, abuse of taxpayer system going. the answer is less govt not more, less taxes not more.

Old 05-28-2017, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by illtaketwoplease View Post
Why not reduce the average rental income instead of raise the hourly wage ? Is it because that would let in "undesirable types" (likely the kind who would benefit from an hourly wage increase)? Isn't if fairer for property owners there to take the hit than the entire population?

When you look at it this way the answer becomes clear: govts want more money to keep their bloated, special interest, abuse of taxpayer system going. the answer is less govt not more, less taxes not more.
I think you'd sing another tune if you get a disabled child and he or she has to live on $700 a month in SSI. You want massive tax cuts but you dont think the disabled would be affected? $700 a month for someone who got disabled as a child is the result of the obsession with tax cuts for the billionaire class. The more we cut taxes, the more despair in America we will see for the people in need. What's so great about disabled people living on $700 a month?

Old 05-28-2017, 10:13 AM

9,911 posts, read 7,702,289 times
I think let States decide the minimum wage. The issue is COL. Where I live $15 for a single person will get you by kind of. States should look at the average COL for a single person make a livable wage off of that.

Then the only part where the Federal Government steps in is creating a minimum wage of $10 for businesses with 50 or less people. A $8 minimum wage for restaurant workers who receive tips.

Then for individuals with families the State factors in COL based off size of household. With your yearly pay total subtract that from average COL of household size. What is left over State gives 60% of that total to those families that meet these qualifications.

So say someone in State X makes $15 an hour. They work 30 hours a week and make about $22K a year. A two parent household with one child. The average COL for this household size in this State is let's say $40K. They would receive about $225 a week from the State. They be eligible for this for 4 year's and can apply for 3 times. So 12 year's in total.

Giving States this power will hopefully motivate them to work on lowering COL and lowering tax rates in their State to continue to attract businesses.

Last edited by RunD1987; 05-28-2017 at 10:23 AM..

Old 05-28-2017, 10:17 AM

45,231 posts, read 26,450,499 times
Bring on the robots!

Old 05-28-2017, 10:21 AM

5,722 posts, read 5,801,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RunD1987 View Post
I think let States decide the minimum wage. The issue is COL. Where I live $15 for a single person will get you by kind of. States should look at the average COL for a single person make a livable wage off of that.

Then the only part where the Federal Government steps in is creating a minimum wage of $10 for businesses with 50 or less people. A $8 minimum wage for restaurant workers who receive tips.
I kind of agree I really don't think an across the board 15 dollar/hr min. wage would work.

What about small museums for example that make very little profit if any. Some of them hire older retired people that need extra income I could see those people losing their job.

Old 05-28-2017, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
Bring on the robots!
Like thats some type of good argument against a minimum wage. "hey, lets stop technological progress because it hurts workers! Let's fight for slavery so we can defeat the robots!".

Old 05-28-2017, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderlust76 View Post
I kind of agree I really don't think an across the board 15 dollar/hr min. wage would work.

What about small museums for example that make very little profit if any. Some of them hire older retired people that need extra income I could see those people losing their job.
$11 an hour worked in 1968.

$15 an hour cant work in 2024?

I call BS.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies