Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2017, 01:48 PM

12,275 posts, read 7,135,605 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bxlover View Post
Well College tuition isn't of you want perpetuate middle class status for your kids.
To an extent.

The ones going to private unis (without having gotten substantial financial aid/scholarships) for 4+ years have chosen to do that.

Those who go to community college the first 2 years and then transfer to a public university are those I have more sympathy for, especially if they worked throughout as much as possible.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2017, 01:49 PM

41,110 posts, read 25,724,715 times
Quote:
They will have too much to qualify for public assistance. Yet, they won't have enough to live well.
That's exactly what happens to the middle class... I mentioned my widowed mom before, although she worked and paid taxes (middle class) when she became too ill to work she made $5.82 a month too much and didn't qualify for the safety net. I've learned alot about the safety net and it's amazing the help that the poor get and what the tax payer pays for but if the middle class falls on hard times or can no longer work due to illness they don't qualify for help.

Old 05-28-2017, 01:59 PM

4,587 posts, read 2,597,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by petch751 View Post
That's exactly what happens to the middle class... I mentioned my widowed mom before, although she worked and paid taxes (middle class) when she became too ill to work she made $5.82 a month too much and didn't qualify for the safety net. I've learned alot about the safety net and it's amazing the help that the poor get and what the tax payer pays for but if the middle class falls on hard times or can no longer work due to illness they don't qualify for help.
Indeed, I see it at work every day. What scares me is that we can sacrifice and save and if we do get sick we can lose it all. In fact if you need Medicaid you have to exhaust your savings first. I will need to get a lawyer in a few years to put things in trust for my daughter. But I am in favor of expanding health insurance universally so I won't have to do that. Canadians and Europeans would wonder at our health insurance demanding we exhaust our savings first in case of needing help with dementia, or other extended health problems.

Old 05-28-2017, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohhwanderlust View Post
To an extent.

The ones going to private unis (without having gotten substantial financial aid/scholarships) for 4+ years have chosen to do that.

Those who go to community college the first 2 years and then transfer to a public university are those I have more sympathy for, especially if they worked throughout as much as possible.
My daughter God bless her has raised the latter option to me. She doesn't want to break us and thinks very pragmatically as a teenager.

Old 05-28-2017, 02:04 PM

I read an article comparing a 100k salary in 1980 vs today. Besides inflation the new costs of new essentials like cell phones, cable, and technology costs also need to be factored in. We certainly as Americans see cable and cell phones as essentials today. Even if it just the basics.

Old 05-28-2017, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Indeed, I see it at work every day. What scares me is that we can sacrifice and save and if we do get sick we can lose it all. In fact if you need Medicaid you have to exhaust your savings first. I will need to get a lawyer in a few years to put things in trust for my daughter. But I am in favor of expanding health insurance universally so I won't have to do that. Canadians and Europeans would wonder at our health insurance demanding we exhaust our savings first in case of needing help with dementia, or other extended health problems.
I have a cousin (an alcoholic), he can't hold a job because of it. He was given a car and he totaled it. My grandparents willed him their mortgage free house because "poor rick" is poor and needs help. He trashed the house and now it's condemned. His mother dying of cancer had to pay the bills and he constantly harassed her for more money. Right before she died he opened a credit card in her name and charged it up. The things that he did... Why would he give a damn when everyone feels sorry for him and gives to him? He doesn't and is always taking advantage of some fool who "has a heart". Oh and he loved Obama lol.

Guess what... he will be well taken care of but you and me, who worked to pay for our house have to pay for everything we need AND! subsidize people like cuz.

Sorry, not my doing.

Old 05-28-2017, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by petch751 View Post
I have a cousin (an alcoholic), he can't hold a job because of it. He was given a car and he totaled it. My grandparents willed him their mortgage free house because "poor rick" is poor and needs help. He trashed the house and now it's condemned. His mother dying of cancer had to pay the bills and he constantly harassed her for more money. Right before she died he opened a credit card in her name and charged it up. The things that he did... Why would he give a damn when everyone feels sorry for him and gives to him? He doesn't and is always taking advantage of some fool who "has a heart". Oh and he loved Obama lol.

Guess what... he will be well taken care of but you and me, who worked to pay for our house have to pay for everything we need AND! subsidize people like cuz.

Sorry, not my doing.
Yes, I feel for you. Hate what happened. But the fact he loved Obama doesn't mean Obama or the safety net is at fault. Instead the safety net has to be strengthened for folks like us, just in case we need it. What you described is a bad apple. Like the Osmond's once sang, " One bad apple don't ruin the whole bunch, girl " . Have a great memorial day. Keep saving and may you live rich to your last breath.

Old 05-28-2017, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Yes, I feel for you. Hate what happened. But the fact he loved Obama doesn't mean Obama or the safety net is at fault. Instead the safety net has to be strengthened for folks like us, just in case we need it. What you described is a bad apple. Like the Osmond's once sang, " One bad apple don't ruin the whole bunch, girl " . Have a great memorial day. Keep saving and may you live rich to your last breath.
I didn't say that Obama was at fault. What I am saying is he attracted these types as his supporters.

As far as strengthening the safety net, it's not going to happen, government never does a good job, housing projects are just one example of the poor job government does and they also make one size fits all and it can't work and the safety net is already in trouble.

Also the safety net is supposed to help people move out of poverty, not keep them in poverty which is exactly what it does.

Old 05-28-2017, 02:27 PM

20,100 posts, read 9,006,146 times
If you're living paycheck to paycheck, you're not middle class.

Old 05-28-2017, 02:29 PM
NCN

21,662 posts, read 25,621,789 times
Ignorance is what holds a person back. Save to put your child through college. Never get a loan without a set interest rate or the right to pay off the loan early without penalty.

The only thing you cannot control listed are your health costs and sometimes you can do things to affect that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies