Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-30-2017, 07:00 AM

45,676 posts, read 24,012,426 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
End of YOUR story because you apparently don't think actions can equate to disrespect. How ridiculous.
No ridiculous is your sense of logic.

As clearly stated -- perhaps if the student had been truly rude -- said something, did something rather than just politely decline from his picture with someone he doesn't respect...then I would understand all the fuss.

Do you know as a parent who has chaperoned more trips than most......kid often opt out of the picture taking process at some point - they just don't want it...who cares. It's a picture.

Now if the student had stood up and ranted and raved and stomped off -- yeah that's a problem.

But just saying nope I choose not to...no big deal.

Old 05-30-2017, 07:20 AM

1,261 posts, read 950,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockside View Post
What beliefs? 8th graders have little brains of mush. The only thing these NJ kids are doing is reflecting their parent's indoctrination.

My spouse and I have an acquaintance who's always proudly posting her seven year olds rants about Trump on FB. It's creepy. Kids don't pay attention to politics, their uber-liberal parents do.

Yet this couple would be the first to bash some white nationalist parent posting their kids rantings about liberals or muslims.

It's all hatred folks, it doesn't matter what guise it comes in.

As a famous song once said...Leave them kids alone.
Have you spent much time with 8th graders? They may not always act in their best interests, but many 8th graders are absolutely capable of thinking critically and logically. And they are very happy to express opinions in direct opposition to those of their parents.

Old 05-30-2017, 08:21 AM

12,270 posts, read 11,329,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AminWi View Post
Have you spent much time with 8th graders? They may not always act in their best interests, but many 8th graders are absolutely capable of thinking critically and logically. And they are very happy to express opinions in direct opposition to those of their parents.
I work with them every day. 8th graders are interested in their changing bodies...and others changing bodies. They worry about acne. It's very important to have friends. Peer pressure is huge. They like sports. They like music. They like anything smartphone, video or computer. They are very social while they love downtime to be alone.

Would you like me to go on, because we pay very close attention to our teens at work.

The only time 8th graders show any interest in politics is when a teacher gives them a homework assignment.

Old 05-30-2017, 08:22 AM

4,865 posts, read 4,179,855 times
I didn't realize so many people thought one shouldn't pay attention to politics until they're old enough to vote. Silly me. And here I encourage my kids to follow current events, learn their history and stay engaged. I guess I'll have some of the only functional 18 year olds when they leave the house.

Old 05-30-2017, 08:41 AM

3,987 posts, read 2,112,089 times
This was not the students doing, but their idiotic parents- just like kids saying they are transgender.

Old 05-30-2017, 08:43 AM

3,100 posts, read 3,302,170 times
Now if a kid starts spouting conservative values I'm sure you'd be fine with that.

Old 05-30-2017, 08:48 AM

45,676 posts, read 24,012,426 times
Quote:
I work with them every day. 8th graders are interested in their changing bodies...and others changing bodies. They worry about acne. It's very important to have friends. Peer pressure is huge. They like sports. They like music. They like anything smartphone, video or computer. They are very social while they love downtime to be alone.

Would you like me to go on, because we pay very close attention to our teens at work.

The only time 8th graders show any interest in politics is when a teacher gives them a homework assignment.
Sounds like you are describing adults.

Some folks spending lots of time with kids look at them as stereotypes. It's been the most frustrating process as a very involved parent in the schools. They forget the kids are individuals and only the rare few educators take the time to challenge the kids and ask them what they really think about key issues.

Other than that -- most teachers stereotype the kids the first day in the classroom and those kids are labelled for the rest of the year and beyond with their files.

I have a 29 year old child and I began being a part of his school and his two brothers (now 27 and 20) when he was placed in a cooperative pre-school. Even then teachers/educators/administrators labelled and boxed kids.

I suspect at school the kids aren't going to initiate a political discussion but when prompted -- you'd be very surprised...but you have to have the energy and the patience and the willingness to get past lumping them all as uncaring.

My kids are very different and went to three different middle schools. For me, the middle school experience for them was the worst. Most of the adults in the schools didn't care for the kids, they didn't seem to respect them as individuals. Fortunately my boys had some of the 'gifted' teachers or 'honors' classes and those teachers tend to be ones who really are interested in challenging the kids and engaging with them...but really so many just were not very involved or cared.

I'm so thankful for the few adults that my kids came across through their academic year that truly didn't see them in their limited capacities as children, young teens, but engaged them and challenged them.

It made for some great, interesting dinner conversations.

Old 05-30-2017, 08:51 AM

3,499 posts, read 2,787,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryan85 View Post
This was not the students doing, but their idiotic parents- just like kids saying they are transgender.
Do you realize that at that age lots of kids are deliberately contrary to their parents??????

Old 05-30-2017, 08:53 AM

28,164 posts, read 25,305,403 times
Quote:
What beliefs? 8th graders have little brains of mush.
How incredibly daft and insulting. You are, as usual, completely wrong in your uninformed opinions. I know 8th graders that could run circles around you when discussing domestic and foreign policy, constitutional theory and current events.

Old 05-30-2017, 08:54 AM

78,412 posts, read 60,593,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JIMANDTHOM View Post
Is your comprehension off again this morning. To compare a 7 year old to 8th graders is absurd, but you often are a master at absurdity.

Its 8th graders meaning around 13-14 years old. I would hope they have been doing some reading and thinking by this time.
I've been around some extremely gifted 7-8th graders and they generally lack the education and maturity to really grasp some of the major issues. They generally have not had any exposure to economics by that age (as one example) nor have they been exposed to much *hard* history, mostly just US stuff and then just the kids versions.

However, to be fair that describes at least half the posters in the political forum.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies