Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2017, 01:48 PM

45,201 posts, read 26,417,923 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
So so many are so young and naive and need jobs and this is easy work for them to get a paycheck. And probably die or be disabled the rest of their lives.

Glad my brother was a draft dodger during the draft days. He's alive and well at 72.

It's all so SICK.
Yeah the military is a big fat hairy gubiment jobs program. Good for your brother, there is no honor in killing innocent people minding their own business in their own country and certainly not worth getting killed, maimed or addicted to drugs while trespassing while doing those things.

Old 05-29-2017, 01:49 PM

14,760 posts, read 8,093,254 times
I hate war as only a soldier who has lived it
can, only as one who has seen its brutality,
its stupidity.

DWIGHT D EISENHOWER
10 JAN 1946

Old 05-29-2017, 01:51 PM

39,201 posts, read 27,575,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
Yeah the military is a big fat hairy gubiment jobs program. Good for your brother, there is no honor in killing innocent people minding their own business in their own country and certainly not worth getting killed, maimed or addicted to drugs while trespassing while doing those things.
There are some differences between anti-war and anti-soldier.

Old 05-29-2017, 01:54 PM

4,344 posts, read 5,795,207 times
Your question : Are Soldiers dying in the ME really defending our freedom?

I want to say in some ways yes. Several countries have a common enemy that keeps attacking places for example Manchester. We either do our best to defeat ISIS over there vs here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dothetwist View Post
The sad irony is that the majority of these soldiers are the children of trump supporters. And he is looking to expand the US forces in many countries.
Oh so my inlaws are Trump supporters? haha That's a new one.

Quote:
No of course not. And young people need to quit enlisting and buying into the b.s., those that continue to do so are part of the problem.
Wow. I'm glad my husband is part of "the problem" in your eyes that helps to defend your freedom. He has always had a passion for the military so he joined.

Old 05-29-2017, 01:55 PM

39,201 posts, read 27,575,665 times
Quote:
No soldiers no war.
Are you serious?!

Old 05-29-2017, 01:56 PM

29,506 posts, read 22,620,513 times
They are absolutely not.

The Middle East is a waste of our troop's efforts and not worth risking their lives.

Let them fight it out, not us. We have zero business over there. And to that poster who insinuated in a previous thread that 9/11 is why we're still in Afghanistan, that is utter nonsense. Most or nearly all of those who were directly involved in planning and carrying out the 9/11 attacks including the mastermind himself are all dead, as are those fighters who harbored Bin Laden. We have ZERO business in Afghanistan, Iraq, or Syria.

As we have seen, there's an element of terrorism called lone wolf terrorism. These are lunatics that have no real ties to ISIS or Al Qaeda or whatever they call themselves. These people have lived in their adopted countries for a long time, and one day became bored and decided they wanted to make a name for themselves. These narcissists are so desperate for attention and infamy in this social media age of ours, they are utterly eager to do whatever it takes to commit crimes so heinous, their names will live on in infamy. Whether you are Richard Reid, Dylan Thomas, or the recent Manchester suicide bombing, the outer cause may appear different, but in reality they are all one and the same, sick narcissists seeking attention.

Any idiot with a computer can commit mass murder and name drop the KKK, ISIS, whatever, but that don't mean jack. Unless you monitor everyone in America 24/7, you are never going to stop a suicide attack, or any other forms of mass murder for that matter.

So, our troops being in the Middle East fighting a pointless war isn't making us any safer.

That said, I still appreciate and support our troops not because they are defending our freedom by being in the Middle East, but because they are doing a grueling job on the whims of the industrial military complex and sacrificing their lives back home for it. Especially those on the front lines, the grunts who are doing raids, ambushes, daily patrols, fire fights, the ones really putting their lives at risk, not the fobbits.

Old 05-29-2017, 02:00 PM

4,344 posts, read 5,795,207 times
Quote:
No soldiers no war.
lmao! That is not how it works. No soldiers means no way for us as a country to defend ourselves.
Can you imagine a country with no military, another country coming over to fight us on our land, do you want us just to roll over and put our hands up crying don't shoot so they can take us over? There goes your freedom to vote the way we do, there goes your freedom to worship the way you do etc.

Old 05-29-2017, 02:10 PM

12,275 posts, read 7,133,491 times
Absolutely not.

It's sad enough that Americans are dying for wars of no benefit to anyone aside from certain stockholders, but pragmatically speaking, it's actually endangering the USA because if there are fewer soldiers, there will be less protection in the event that we ever do face a legitimate threat one day.

Old 05-29-2017, 02:17 PM

21,430 posts, read 7,449,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ladybug07 View Post
lmao! That is not how it works. No soldiers means no way for us as a country to defend ourselves.
Can you imagine a country with no military, another country coming over to fight us on our land, do you want us just to roll over and put our hands up crying don't shoot so they can take us over? There goes your freedom to vote the way we do, there goes your freedom to worship the way you do etc.
We have a very bloated military.

We could cut it down by half and still have the most powerful in the world.

I do believe in a strong military, for the very good reasons you cite, but what we have right now is beyond ridiculous.

Old 05-29-2017, 02:18 PM

4,996 posts, read 2,442,962 times
Default A lot of Cynicism Here....

Our troops are fighting and dying....to protect us. Our freedoms are not under assault..at least..not outside of our borders. But, keep in mind..I think the Patriot Act is an assault upon our freedoms.

When a soldier gives his/her oath, they place their life in trust..that it may be spent wisely by those in power.
Sometimes that trust is broken..but that's not the soldier's fault.

Our armed forces have prevented deaths--foiled terrorist plots..exacted revenge for attacks.

Let us not forget..that by their very existence..our military keeps us safe.

Our existence as a free nation and our unique way of life does depend upon the willingness of us to defend it.

Those who think otherwise should read a bit more history.....I am a decorated Vietnam combat vet...and, yes, I know that Vietnam was a fool's war..conceived by idiots.
But that in no way diminishes the sacrifice of those brave men and women who entrusted their lives to this country.

Other nations take notice though...and we may never know how many conflicts were avoided..because we have a strong military..and an armed populace.

So you guys can spout your Realpolitik...denigrate the motives of those who move and shake.
It gives me a warm feeling inside..because, in a very small way, I helped purchase your right to do so.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies