Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2017, 05:09 PM

19,220 posts, read 17,102,322 times

Advertisements

I must have blinked or the evening news on NBC failed to make mention that today is Pearl Harbor Day. I guess talking about elected officials who have no manners is more important than one of the most pivotal events in US history...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2017, 05:50 PM

9,329 posts, read 4,145,575 times
Well, you have to admit that a turning point 70 years ago in history may pale in significance at the moment when we are living through a rather frightening turning point right now.

Old 12-07-2017, 05:54 PM

25,849 posts, read 16,540,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarallel View Post
Well, you have to admit that a turning point 70 years ago in history may pale in significance at the moment when we are living through a rather frightening turning point right now.
According to your FB feed right?

Old 12-07-2017, 06:04 PM

Quote:
There will always be frightening turning points in life but calling out a public individual on what has occurred on average 20+ years ago can take a break for one evening.

Old 12-07-2017, 06:04 PM

9,329 posts, read 4,145,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post
According to your FB feed right?
I'm not on FB.

What part do you doubt - that we're at a turning point, or that people are extremely concerned about the country at present?

Quote:
Originally Posted by VA Yankee View Post
There will always be frightening turning points in life but calling out a public individual on what has occurred on average 20+ years ago can take a break for one evening.
Sorry, but in my opinion, no, there are rarely turning points this frightening - and not only frightening, but totally without any possibility of a clear-cut solution. While personally I have tremendous respect for, and interest in, everything connected with WWII, at some point you're going to have to confront the fact that it pre-dates most people's memory, and that younger people in particular have no interest in history. You also have to cope with the problem that television news would rather broadcast something currently scandalous rather than something educationally interesting.

Old 12-07-2017, 06:05 PM

5,129 posts, read 2,599,470 times
Quote:

its a beautiful day in my neighborhood, turn off the liberal MSM and you'll see things are decent.

Old 12-07-2017, 06:32 PM

25,231 posts, read 16,947,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VA Yankee View Post
I must have blinked or the evening news on NBC failed to make mention that today is Pearl Harbor Day. I guess talking about elected officials who have no manners is more important than one of the most pivotal events in US history...
I saw it on several channels, but I do not know what stations you watch, did not catch the NBC evening news so cannot say if they did or not. We should never forget.

Old 12-07-2017, 06:34 PM

16,956 posts, read 16,763,499 times
CBS had it. History Channel had it.

Old 12-07-2017, 06:38 PM

Quote:
I'm not on FB.

What part do you doubt - that we're at a turning point, or that people are extremely concerned about the country at present?

Sorry, but in my opinion, no, there are rarely turning points this frightening - and not only frightening, but totally without any possibility of a clear-cut solution. While personally I have tremendous respect for, and interest in, everything connected with WWII, at some point you're going to have to confront the fact that it pre-dates most people's memory, and that younger people in particular have no interest in history. You also have to cope with the problem that television news would rather broadcast something currently scandalous rather than something educationally interesting.
Well I guess with these disturbing trends we might as well stop teaching history, after all the younger generation cant lift their face from their devices and if it isn't cash or will fit on their USB drive they can't be bothered. News and media have to fit their stories into 30 second bites and heaven forbid a story causes discomfort for someone/group, everything must be fair and level for all.

I'm not as old as you might think but just like Columbus Day, Memorial Day, and Thanksgiving our historical milestones represent something more than a chance for a giant mattress sale.

Old 12-07-2017, 07:22 PM

5,998 posts, read 3,736,669 times
Pearl Harbor pales in comparison to the disaster currently going on right now in the White House. After Trump is officially thrown out of the Presidency in 2021 it'll take a year or more to undo all the damage he's doing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies