Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Has Kelly Griffin gone too far? - holding up bloody Trump head.
No - free speech 23 17.97%
Yes - an apology is needed 56 43.75%
Yes - ban her from New Years Rock'n Eve 49 38.28%
Voters: 128. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2017, 10:46 AM

1,740 posts, read 957,609 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by biscuit_head View Post
Thank you. I'm sure half the posters on this thread probably had no problems with Obama being lynched or burned in effigy, but they want to act outraged now. The faux-outrage and cognitive dissonance are expected from Trump supporters .

And I thought Griffin's photo was tasteless and disgusting.
It was just as disgusting and unacceptable when someone burned or lynched Obama in effigy. But let me ask you something- when did a celebrity, in conjunction with an "artist", do this? There is a difference in degree in some vile nobody who burned or lynched Obama in effigy and a vile celebrity who did the equivalent to Trump. The nobody has no fans or followers or any sort of built in audience. A celebrity (even a C list celebrity like Griffin) does. What makes this even more despicable is that ISIS and other Islamic terror groups are actively beheading Christians and other non-Muslims right now in the year 2017. Obviously they were the "inspiration" for this. Her act not only is a huge insult to not only Trump personally but to the office of president, but it also belittles and diminishes the very real atrocities committed by ISIS and others of their ilk.

Old 05-31-2017, 10:47 AM

52,433 posts, read 26,603,454 times
Congressmen in the Democrat political establishment refuse to condemn what Kathy did.

In fact, they seem to support it.

Ted Lieu Won't Condemn Kathy Griffin for 'Beheading' Donald Trump Photo - Breitbart

Old 05-31-2017, 10:49 AM

39,205 posts, read 27,575,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post
Congressmen in the Democrat political establishment refuse to condemn what Kathy did.

In fact, they seem to support it.

Ted Lieu Won't Condemn Kathy Griffin for 'Beheading' Donald Trump Photo - Breitbart
Ted Lieu seems to be a nut job as well. He liked to use the word "evil" to describe somebody.

Old 05-31-2017, 10:50 AM

28,890 posts, read 30,251,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
Maybe I am the minority here, I am sick and tired of these freedom of speech excuse.

The author in the book areopagitica suggested that,

complete freedom of speech is unattainable unless all men and women in their degree are capable of reason and moral responsibility.

Freedom of speech =/= free of consequences

There is no punishment, only consequences.

She deserves to suffer from the consequences of her own stupid actions. I don't like to ruin other people's career, but who will be interested in seeing her face again after that? She is not funny, she is not attractive, she has no talents. She is a sad, violent, angry person, sort of like Rosie O'Donnel.
Hi Lily
I used to feel the same way, however, here is the other down side....

Where do you end free speech, how far does someone have to go, and once you do so, you start chipping away over generations and years, to do the same for everyone else who is insulted by whatever someone says.

once you start, it won't ever stop....and rights have already been taken away, that is what so many gun rights people fear...as an example....they keep chipping away and adding more laws, and more....

bottom line is, parenting, teaching children they have to behave, have morals, be kind, and not bully, and have some good skills in controlling temper and anger.

But I agree with you, and it will hit her in her pocket book, so there will be consequences....
she won't get away with it....not really. She can apologize all she wants, but the damage is done.

Old 05-31-2017, 10:51 AM

52,433 posts, read 26,603,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
Ted Lieu seems to be a nut job as well. He liked to use the word "evil" to describe somebody.
And they wonder why they lost Middle America.

Old 05-31-2017, 10:51 AM

39,205 posts, read 27,575,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cremebrulee View Post
Hi Lily
I used to feel the same way, however, here is the other down side....

Where do you end free speech, how far does someone have to go, and once you do so, you start chipping away over generations and years, to do the same for everyone else who is insulted by whatever someone says.

once you start, it won't ever stop....and rights have already been taken away, that is what so many gun rights people fear...as an example....they keep chipping away and adding more laws, and more....

bottom line is, parenting, teaching children they have to behave, have morals, be kind, and not bully, and have some good skills in controlling temper and anger.

But I agree with you, and it will hit her in her pocket book, so there will be consequences....
she won't get away with it....not really. She can apologize all she wants, but the damage is done.
Yes, Ma'am, I agree with you and you make perfect sense.

Old 05-31-2017, 10:52 AM

23,795 posts, read 13,250,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonnymarkjiz View Post
Well, considering it's the only thing she has going on in her career these days.

But really, though, I'm surprised CNN hasn't dropped her yet. But then again, they were perfectly fine with Don Lemon taking shots, being drunk, and saying he wants a bf on-air on NYE so...meh.
Exactly. I haven't seen her in years. She has no influence over the country at all.

It is much more outrageous that we have a president who is in the process of destroying the country and everything for which it ever stood.

Old 05-31-2017, 10:53 AM

7,275 posts, read 5,280,259 times
Technically, in a freedom of speech vacuum, she exercised her right. As a person in Hollywood, unlike us who have forums to vent on, she can display her feelings for all the world to see. It's why I have disdain for many celebrities as they feel entitled to jam their opinions down my throat because they have a stage.

Griffin showed poor judgement as a human being. It is entirely disrespectful, and not only that, with the world stage it gives people in other countries more ammunition to laugh at the current state affairs of the US Government, whether deserved or not. This is just a flag burning display that looks different.

Hate doesn't equate to trying to make a difference. Either be constructive or leave the country, that's my opinion. I may not be a fan of Trump's, but I would never do what Griffin did.

Old 05-31-2017, 10:55 AM

34,938 posts, read 36,231,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NxtGen View Post
Only because it is not well accepted. Make no mistake, if such was well received, many more would be in approval. This is why the progressives were silent until major figures started commenting. They were waiting for the narrative to be established. Progressives are not to be trusted, they are evil at their core.
Sweeping generalizations are bad.

Old 05-31-2017, 10:55 AM

7,498 posts, read 5,745,535 times
Liberals really do have severe mental illness. The fact someone even considered doing this is disturbing at best.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies