Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2017, 07:38 PM

17,441 posts, read 9,265,380 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by southbel View Post
I'm starting to think winning over Americans isn't the point. I think capitulation via intimidation is their tactic.
BINGO ...... it's certainly not about "winning over Americans"
It's about destroying our way of Life and our Republic. The Mask is removed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2017, 07:38 PM

3,271 posts, read 2,188,771 times
Imagine if they erased everything about the Holocaust. Nobody would know that it ever happened. Humans need to know what we are capable of so we won't make the same mistakes going forward. This is a tragedy, but it is all in preparation for what's coming.

Old 05-30-2017, 08:27 PM

50,262 posts, read 47,023,439 times
The new Taliban and they don't even get it.

Old 05-30-2017, 08:33 PM

5,738 posts, read 5,442,133 times
It's useful to see here who identifies with the Confederacy and not the USA. You're all still raging that you lost.

Old 05-30-2017, 08:47 PM

11,011 posts, read 11,022,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by It'sAutomatic View Post
It's useful to see here who identifies with the Confederacy and not the USA. You're all still raging that you lost.
Oh this argument is so tired. Really. Of note, Sam Houston also was against the Confederacy. But details, right? Sure, there's some of those nutty types who are all 'yay Confederacy'. Um, I would call them a minority but there's others, myself included, who just do not like to see historical artifacts destroyed or removed. It's a teaching tool, a monument to things which happened in the past, even terrible and shameful things. It's history. I'm never a fan of removing history. Put it in its context if necessary which I have seen many times with informational signs, plaques, etc but removal is something I do not generally support.

Old 05-30-2017, 09:27 PM

21,467 posts, read 10,570,105 times
Quote:
I'm no fan of removing statues and monuments. If someone wanted to slap up a new Confederacy monument today, they are nuts and no way in hell should anyone do so and I would not support doing so. I guess I look at them as historical and even in some cases as art (Stone Mountain for example).

When we look back at ancient civilizations, we look at their monuments, their pottery, their art, etc. Do you think they should be destroyed if you disagreed with their politics? The Coliseum - gladiators and watching people die for sport is abhorrent. Should it be razed because of current political opinion? The Taliban and then ISIS decided they didn't agree politically with some of those ancient monuments and destroyed them. They were, and everyone pretty much agrees, destroying history. I'm just not comfortable with removing historical artifacts due to current political opinion.
Excellent point. I agree! I would never have a confederate flag because I think it's a powerful symbol of slavery, but the monuments built a long time ago should either be moved to a museum or stay where they are. It can be a teachable moment.

Old 05-30-2017, 09:31 PM

11,011 posts, read 11,022,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katygirl68 View Post
Excellent point. I agree! I would never have a confederate flag because I think it's a powerful symbol of slavery, but the monuments built a long time ago should either be moved to a museum or stay where they are. It can be a teachable moment.
I find the whole Confederate flag thing a bit tiresome. While it's a historically accurate flag for the Army of Northern Virginia, it did not represent the whole Confederacy anyway so those boobs aren't even good at their history. Unless of course, they really do have a thing for the history of the Army of Northern Virginia - my guess, they don't.

Old 05-30-2017, 09:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hound 109 View Post
Good for you Cali. I know that this is not an easy stance for you to take. You have my respect.

Let me help you justify your position further:

- Houston opposed the Confederacy.

- He was a General, Congressman and Governor (in the US)

- & he was also the General of the Texas Armies (which defeated a racist and brutal dictator & founded a country), became it's first President & then after being admitted to the Union was Texas first US Senator. & after that was elected Governor during the turbulent years prior to the Civil War (he was the ONLY man that the non-slave holding West & Central Texans & the Slave Holding East Texans both respected and could agree on).

He kicked Santa Anna's *ss (at San Jacinto in Texas) & the British's *ss (at the Battle of New Orleans under Jackson). Dude was a bonafide hero.

He was also a drunk & lived with the Indians (in what is now Oklahoma) for 6-8 years (pretty much plastered the whole time) prior to coming to Texas. The dude cut such a wide swath it's hard to comprehend (much like Washington).

& he told the newly arrived southern planters that they were bat sh*t crazy to join the Confederacy (he was right). So they booted him out of office.

Sylvester Turner on the other hand is as much of a p*ssy as his name sounds. My wife knew him at Klein HS 40 years ago and he was a slimy politician even then. He makes Chuck Schumer & Harry Reid look down right Presidential. & if he tries to knock down a statue of Sam Houston there will be a freaking riot.
Really? I always liked Sylvester Turner, though I'm not thrilled with what he's doing now with property taxes. He seems kind of middle of the road. I live in an unincorporated part of Harris County now so couldn't vote for mayor of Houston or mayor of Katy, but I remember Turner back in the '90s and liked him.

Old 05-30-2017, 09:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Ag 93 View Post
Agree. And if they hate his Hermann Park statue, imagine how they feel about the giant one on I-45 in Huntsville...
I believe they mentioned that one too, or one of their followers commented that it would be next.

I don't think they'll get support for this, but they are probably trying to get more members with the publicity. People better put a camera on that Hermann Park statue because I bet it gets vandalized.

Old 05-30-2017, 09:42 PM

Quote:
I find the whole Confederate flag thing a bit tiresome. While it's a historically accurate flag for the Army of Northern Virginia, it did not represent the whole Confederacy anyway so those boobs aren't even good at their history. Unless of course, they really do have a thing for the history of the Army of Northern Virginia - my guess, they don't.
I know it's not the actual confederate flag, but it's heavily associated with the confederacy. I wouldn't get rid of the flag altogether, but you will never see it in my house or yard, or on my car. And I agree with the people who want it removed from state legislatures like Mississippi, but the statues should not be taken down.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies