Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2017, 11:32 PM

32,816 posts, read 19,384,018 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elliott_CA View Post
States like California and Washington, which have higher minimum wages than the rest of the country, .
and that's where the min wage should be...set at the state or local level

a federal min wage is stupid...

sorry libs...one size does not fit all
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2017, 11:35 PM

20,160 posts, read 12,679,735 times
Actually a lot of restaurants have been closed because of higher minimum wage. Pelosi is an idiot.

Old 05-31-2017, 11:37 PM

34,248 posts, read 19,250,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewbieHere View Post
Actually a lot of restaurants have been closed because of higher minimum wage. Pelosi is an idiot.
Where? You mean in Washington area? Actual numbers show more opening......

Old 05-31-2017, 11:46 PM

34,248 posts, read 19,250,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post
and that's where the min wage should be...set at the state or local level

a federal min wage is stupid...

sorry libs...one size does not fit all
Probably one of the few reasonable arguments here. workingclasshero. I disagree, but you've got a rational argument, that I appreciate.

I disagree because it causes imbalances, and a downward force on wages. Its hard to raise yours when the next state refuses. You know it drives border businesses. Not a ton, but enough to make it harder to do.

But your argument certainly has merit. Portland Oregons cost of living is much higher then many other places.

I think a rational argument would be to say back, that maybe a better minimum wage should be implemented. Based upon the state cost of living, or perhaps the county cost of living.

Lets say a baseline of $12 instead multiplied by the cost of living index? That would make Portland, OR be $16.80, and Flint, MI $9.10 for example. Good luck on getting that through congress, but it would seem reasonable to me.

Thoughts?

Old 06-01-2017, 07:15 AM

32,816 posts, read 19,384,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
Probably one of the few reasonable arguments here. workingclasshero. I disagree, but you've got a rational argument, that I appreciate.

I disagree because it causes imbalances, and a downward force on wages. Its hard to raise yours when the next state refuses. You know it drives border businesses. Not a ton, but enough to make it harder to do.

But your argument certainly has merit. Portland Oregons cost of living is much higher then many other places.

I think a rational argument would be to say back, that maybe a better minimum wage should be implemented. Based upon the state cost of living, or perhaps the county cost of living.

Lets say a baseline of $12 instead multiplied by the cost of living index? That would make Portland, OR be $16.80, and Flint, MI $9.10 for example. Good luck on getting that through congress, but it would seem reasonable to me.

Thoughts?
Grey,

while we may not always agree, we do debate cordially , and I enjoy your input

your suggestion is reasonable, though I doubt it would ever get through congress, no matter which party was in control.

there are too may differences in costs of living though out the USA... some have said something like "1500 - 2000 different economies" though-out the USA

that is the main reason I state "the federal min wage is stupid, and should be set at the state OR local or even regionally"

for example setting it federally at $15, you would live quite well in boondocks Mississippi , but not even come close to surviving in Levittown, Ny (long Island)(Metro NYC suburbs)

to me it seems that many are stuck on the one size fits all, without thinking about the vast differences between villages within this beautiful country of ours

on a side note, I also have an issue with giving a min wage to incompetence (this is pointed mostly at the fast food workers, but also many in retail too)...I am tired of going to a store, wanting to ask a question about a product, or placing an order for fast food, and they are so incompetent, that they get the order wrong, or have zero knowledge of the section they are working in.

when I am shopping, I ask questions, I want the best product for my need, the incompetence of the retail world today is so shocking..... years ago it was about customer service, knowledge of the product, today its about a quick sale with no knowledge of the product.

Old 06-01-2017, 07:21 AM

8,452 posts, read 4,718,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Bully View Post
I understand that. That doesn't mean those supplemental income sources have magically turned in to primary sources or that it is practical or moral to force supplemental job providers to pay a primary level wage. It is not the person employing the cashier who sent that manufacturing job overseas, and the burden for making up for that lost income should not be placed on his/her shoulders. You're getting mad at and making demands of the wrong people.

It looks as if I blinded them with science, or something.

Old 06-01-2017, 07:25 AM

9,855 posts, read 7,604,899 times
As I mentioned earlier a Federal Minimum Wage should only be implemented and used by small businesses, 50 or less employees. Leave determination of wage standards to the State's and encourage States to adopt a living wage over minimum wage.

Old 06-01-2017, 07:54 AM

22,974 posts, read 26,893,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gladhands View Post
If there was no welfare, these people would be dying...or killing. There are not more will there ever be enough professional or skilled positions. If everyone in the country got degrees and learned trades tomorrow, someone would still have to change the bedpans, flip the burgers and stock the shelves. Individuals can move from one class to another, but entire classes can not. The working poor will always be the working poor. It's up to us as a society to decide how poor we want working men and women to be, in the world' wealthiest nation.
Yes, someone will have to flip burgers and stock shelves. Maybe those jobs would go back to who traditionally did them. TEENS instead of adults with families.
There's tons of trade jobs that are open and begging for workers but they require training AND are work that might chip those designer nails, make one's hands rough and the worst part? You have to show up every morning for WORK...

Old 06-01-2017, 07:58 AM

51,581 posts, read 25,561,093 times
Quote:
for example setting it federally at $15, you would live quite well in boondocks Mississippi , but not even come close to surviving in Levittown, Ny (long Island)(Metro NYC suburbs

If people in Mississippi can make a decent life at $15/hour, I say hallelujah! Why shouldn't they?

Why should people who give it their best effort for 40+ hours a week not be able to afford a decent place to live, food on the table, a beer now and then?

What's wrong with that?

Thousands of soldiers are paid so little, that their families rely on Food Stamps.

Proposed Food Stamp Cuts Would Hit Military Families | Military.com

Why are we asking people to risk their lives for below poverty wages? This is no way to act.

But cutting their Food Stamps is certainly no way to fix it.

Raising the minimum wage paid to everyone, military included, to at least above eligibility for Food Stamps seems sane.

Old 06-01-2017, 08:00 AM

51,581 posts, read 25,561,093 times
Quote:

when I am shopping, I ask questions, I want the best product for my need, the incompetence of the retail world today is so shocking..... years ago it was about customer service, knowledge of the product, today its about a quick sale with no knowledge of the product.
Years ago, people had a vested interest in the store or at least in what the store was selling as they'd worked there for years. The guys running the local hardware shop knew hardware. If you came in with a problem, they'd likely had a solution and some advice to go along with it.

Today, the guy in the hardware dept. was working at a discount shoe place last week and is going to school to be a surgical tech. He has no more interest in hardware than a fly cares about your feelings. He does a lot of stocking, so he knows where things are but that's about it. When you locate an employee who is actually from that the Hardware Dept., you're both on an adventure.

Years ago, people could earn a decent living running a hardware store. Even people working in a hardware store could afford homes, meals, doctor visits and so forth without government assistance. Not so much now.

Hence the turnover and the lackadaisical attitude.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies