Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2017, 06:36 AM

26,979 posts, read 15,884,808 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by don1945 View Post
If they want workers, and can not pay them a decent wage so those workers can support themselves, then maybe they should not be in business in the first place. Companies, like those cited, would love to find people who would work for $8 an hour, and then they complain that they can not find qualified people. Quality and skilled people cost money, you can not expect to pay slave wages and get talented people.
Stupid and unskilled people need jobs too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2017, 06:40 AM

19,021 posts, read 14,198,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by don1945 View Post
If they want workers, and can not pay them a decent wage so those workers can support themselves, then maybe they should not be in business in the first place.
Despite such lofty sentiments, personnel budgets are finite. If costs exceed profits, the business folds, and the jobs are kaput.

What no one is objecting to is the DEBAUCHING OF THE MONEY SYSTEM.
And who is responsible for that inflation?

The rich?
The poor?
The government?
The bankers?

Old 05-31-2017, 06:41 AM

800 posts, read 508,439 times
Wages should be determined by the free market relationship between employer and employee. Not an uninvolved third party(government). Significant wage increase will be a naturally occuring thing if people just value themselves more. If everybody thought it was a complete waste of time to work for 8 bucks an hour, then those positions would go unfilled and suddenly the pay wouldn't be $8 an hour anymore. Now when you add illegals to the mix who will work for peanuts...then you get real wage problems and an ever increasing number of people who are unwilling to work for such a pittance. Deport all illegals and see wages naturally rise by large amounts immediately.

Old 05-31-2017, 06:46 AM

51,650 posts, read 25,807,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm1982 View Post

Most of my workers [he has 15 employees] average between $11 and $13 per hour, and that’s probably, in this industry, one of the higher ones,” said Hung, “but now ... you’re actually raising the minimum wage from $8.75 to $15 in three years, which is 80 percent. I don’t know how to sustain that.
Higher Wages Pose Challenge to Immigrants' Businesses in NYC
Hung's cost is not going up 80%. He is starting at $11 and $13/hour so his costs are going up between 15% and 36%

And all his competition is doing the same. He'll be on a level playing field with the ones who have been undercutting his labor costs with their $9/hour employee.

The notion that taxpayers should subsidize labor costs for immigrant-run businesses is unlikely to gain much traction.

Old 05-31-2017, 06:51 AM

17,156 posts, read 12,957,599 times
I have zero sympathy for these small businesses who are whining about paying their employees a decent wage. Who are the people who make the employer profits? The employees. They should be paid liveable wages for their work, and if the boss supposedly can't afford it, they need to be able to find another job that will pay them a liveable wage and the company needs to work on improving their profit margins.

And BTW conservatives, when people earn $15/hour rather than $10 or $8, it keeps them off welfare, thus, we, the taxpayers, aren't paying their bills. So you should want a higher minimum wage too, because it helps all of us.

Old 05-31-2017, 06:55 AM

5,772 posts, read 3,221,392 times
Well, there's an upside to them making $31,200 a year. Now that a judge in Texas struck down an executive order giving people OT, you can call them a manager and work them to death.

Old 05-31-2017, 06:57 AM

13,684 posts, read 9,006,517 times
I would take at least some salt with this report by the Employment Policies Institute. It may well be a 'non-profit', but that does not mean it doesn't has an agenda it pushes.

Said EPI was founded in 1991 by Rick Berman, a lobbyist that lobbies on behalf of the restaurant, hotel, alcoholic beverages and tobacco industries, as per this article:

Employment Policies Institute - SourceWatch

One may read about Mr. Berman here:

Rick Berman - SourceWatch

Here is a 2014 New York Times about Mr. Berman and his groups:

https://www.nytimes.com/2014/02/10/u...ties.html?_r=0

This paragraph is interesting, and is also referred to in my first link:

"The sign at the entrance is for Berman and Company, as the Employment Policies Institute has no employees of its own. Mr. Berman’s for-profit advertising firm, instead, “bills” the nonprofit institute for the services his employees provide to the institute. This arrangement effectively means that the nonprofit is a moneymaking venture for Mr. Berman, whose advertising firm was paid $1.1 million by the institute in 2012, according to its tax returns, or 44 percent of its total budget, with most of the rest of the money used to buy advertisements."

Of course, the NYT article notes that there are certainly liberal organizations that exist to counteract the efforts of EPI. I guess it comes down to which side will be most effective at lobbying.

Old 05-31-2017, 07:25 AM

800 posts, read 508,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
And BTW conservatives, when people earn $15/hour rather than $10 or $8, it keeps them off welfare, thus, we, the taxpayers, aren't paying their bills.
If welfare wasn't such an entrenched pervasive thing then more employees would no longer settle for $8, and they would demand higher wages or quit, instead of sticking around. If we weaned our culture out of the welfare state, illegal aliens, and stopped importing cheap labor then the free market will correct itself.

Also though, people need to put themselves into a position of bargaining power and leverage, by living a bit more frugally and responsibly. To put yourself in a place financially where you can actually say "These jobs don't pay me what I think I'm worth, so I'm going to obstain from working there. I have some money saved and I'm going to hold off until I find something better!"

Stagnant wages are likely when more people are in a position of desperation and weakness. All the leverage regarding wage setting is in favor of the employer then. "I have credit card debt, expensive bad habits, my rent is overdue, I can't miss one paycheck, so I'll settle for anything." This is a recipe for systemic low wages, and it can be a vicious cycle.

Old 05-31-2017, 07:27 AM

51,650 posts, read 25,807,433 times
So an outfit that lobbies for restaurants, hotels, the beverage industry, ... opposes a living wage for employees.

Huge shock. Huge.

Old 05-31-2017, 07:29 AM

7,269 posts, read 4,211,637 times
Quote:
Despite such lofty sentiments, personnel budgets are finite. If costs exceed profits, the business folds, and the jobs are kaput.
not in govt...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies