Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-31-2017, 11:32 AM

51,652 posts, read 25,813,568 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gladhands View Post
...The working poor will always be the working poor. It's up to us as a society to decide how poor we want working men and women to be, in the world' wealthiest nation.
Nailed it.

Do we want poor farms and encampments down by the river?

How about soup kitchens? We good to go with that?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2017, 11:33 AM

3,639 posts, read 3,339,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Bully View Post
Correct, someone has to do them. People who are just joining the workforce, and supplemental income providers. Not all jobs are meant for primary wage earners. I understand the decline of the nuclear family has made such an arrangement less practical than it was in days past in many instances. Perhaps that is by design. The problem is that so many primary income sources have dried up or gone overseas, not that supplemental income sources don't provide a primary income.
But the reality is that teens and first timers are not the primary source of minimum wage workers. These people need to get paid more.

Old 05-31-2017, 11:35 AM

3,674 posts, read 3,035,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whogo View Post
Stupid and unskilled people need jobs too.

so what's YOURS then???

Old 05-31-2017, 11:40 AM

8,447 posts, read 4,751,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Bully View Post
Correct, someone has to do them. People who are just joining the workforce, and supplemental income providers. Not all jobs are meant for primary wage earners. I understand the decline of the nuclear family has made such an arrangement less practical than it was in days past in many instances. Perhaps that is by design. The problem is that so many primary income sources have dried up or gone overseas, not that supplemental income sources don't provide a primary income.
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolf39us View Post
But the reality is that teens and first timers are not the primary source of minimum wage workers. These people need to get paid more.
I understand that. That doesn't mean those supplemental income sources have magically turned in to primary sources or that it is practical or moral to force supplemental job providers to pay a primary level wage. It is not the person employing the cashier who sent that manufacturing job overseas, and the burden for making up for that lost income should not be placed on his/her shoulders. You're getting mad at and making demands of the wrong people.

Old 05-31-2017, 11:41 AM

5,660 posts, read 5,088,512 times
Quote:
You're quite deluded if you think that EVERYONE has these opportunities.
But no one is denied these opportunities except by their own choices.

Quote:
These people need to get paid more.
And where exactly do you envision the "more" coming from? The employer with a govt gun held to his head? The customer (who is free to not patronize a business as costs of services and goods go up)? Or the taxpayer with a govt gun held to *his* head?

Old 05-31-2017, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nononsenseguy View Post
Why don't they improve their skills and get a higher paying job?

My wife worked in retail her entire working life. She went from sales "associate" (as they call them today) to General Manager of one of the largest stores in the Southern California retail chain that she worked for. She was a Department Manager, then was promoted to Assistant Store Manager, and finally she was given her own store, and was GM of three different stores in the chain over the years she worked for them.

That's how it's done. No one with any brains stays in the same position year after year for their entire working life.

If the jobs arent there, the jobs arent there! Why is that so hard to understand. If getting a good paying job was as easy as you all make it seem, wouldn't EVERYONE have one?

Only in Murica do people born on 2nd or even 3rd base think they swung the bat, and lecture others on overcoming a situation they never have been in, or know they'd never be in. NOT EVERY PERSON STRUGGLING IS A LAZY DRUG ADDLED DOLE-BLUDGER WHO MAJORED IN WATCHING WATER EVAPORATE!!
I don't gain weight-never have, never will. Even when I was injured and could not exercise much at all. I gained 1/2 lb. I was born that way, so should I go around to people who truly struggle with it, and act all high and mighty by say "Just lose the weight"?? knowing damn well I'd NEVER have to find myself in that situation?

Old 05-31-2017, 11:42 AM

12,149 posts, read 8,417,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katzpaw View Post
I know full time retail workers at the local mall who can't make ends meet and need food stamps and subsidized housing to get by.

Are you suggesting that food stamps and subsidies for housing will be canceled for people earning $15 an hour?

Old 05-31-2017, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Workin_Hard View Post
But no one is denied these opportunities except by their own choices.

And where exactly do you envision the "more" coming from? The employer with a govt gun held to his head? The customer (who is free to not patronize a business as costs of services and goods go up)? Or the taxpayer with a govt gun held to *his* head?

YOU know this how? News flash, for the better paying jobs out in murica, there's more than one applicant per opportunity. When there's more job seekers than jobs, by a wide margin, how can you say with a straight face that EVERYONE has the same opportunities?

I was able to prosper on a much more level playing field than many of you, its easy to say how easy it is, when you are in the right situation. Sorry you can only succeed when the playing field is tilted in your favor, but that doesn't give you the right to judge others

Old 05-31-2017, 11:53 AM

3,639 posts, read 3,339,930 times
[quote=Workin_Hard;48342988]But no one is denied these opportunities except by their own choices.

I'm not even English and this statement requires a response of BULLOCKS.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Workin_Hard View Post
The tax payer is exactly who loses out in the current setup. We shouldn't have to supplement an employers inability or unwillingness to pay their workers enough to get by. All this is, is legal theft on the employers part.

Any of the money that is not paid to the worker that comes out of the pockets of the tax payers is an INCREASE in profit for the employer.

Old 05-31-2017, 11:55 AM

11,086 posts, read 8,543,209 times
Globalism drove higher paying factory jobs out of the country. Small businesses can't replace their payscales.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies