Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-01-2017, 05:51 AM

35,064 posts, read 17,014,369 times

Advertisements

By way of background, I am a far-left Democrat who voted for Hillary. Nevertheless I oppose the Paris Climate Accords. I copied a note I I posted on the White House website "e-mail" system:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post

I am writing to support the Trump Administration's inclination to withdraw from the Paris Climate Accords ("Climate Accords"). I am by no means a conservative. I think that the Climate Accords have very little to do with climate and a lot to do with an incoherent hash of politically correct but impractical agendas. I will turn to the terms of the Climate Accords themselves but I note that they have a lengthy codicil on "gender equality." While that may be a praiseworthy goal it has little to do with climate.

The Climate Accords work by setting an unreachable U.S. goal of 40% reduction of greenhouse gases ("GHG") from 1990 levels. The year 1990 as a base year is itself grossly unfair to the U.S. but I digress. The failure to reach an unmeetable target will trigger an obligation to pay a large amount into a "climate adjustment fund" (the "Fund"). The Fund itself will offer full-time employment to a large contingent of bureaucrats. That to my mind is why Europe so strongly favors the Climate Accords. Such money as is distributed by the Fund for "climate adjustment" will go to Third and Fourth World "leaders" with little or no accountability for how it is spent. Can one, for example, seriously imagine leaders such as Assad, Kabila, or Mugabe using the money to protect their people from climate change.

This note purposely does not address whether or not climate change is real, or if real, if it is man-made. The Climate Accords will do little to change a single temperature on a single day in a single place. But they will cost the U.S. and its citizens lots of money, and possibly significant growth and employment. I urge you to ignore the bleats of the elites and withdraw the U.S. from the Climate Accords. And in the process make the withdrawal effective immediately, disregarding the unconstitutional and non-binding four year period placed on withdrawal. The Climate Accords were not ratified by Congress, are not a treaty and are not legislation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2017, 05:55 AM

24,128 posts, read 24,808,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
Germans pay about 35 cents per kWh for electric. A single tax they pay used to support renewable energy exceeds some of the lowest retail rates in the US.

Is this the model you want to follow?
No, maybe what Swedes pay, like 18 cents.

Old 06-01-2017, 05:57 AM

31,290 posts, read 20,740,494 times
Interesting analysis;

https://www.facebook.com/prageru/vid...8535917189260/

Old 06-01-2017, 05:58 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,051,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post
Well some are all into the trickle down -- if corporations make vast fortunes don't we.
You are not creating new fortunes but simply shifting the pieces on the chessboard.

Quote:
You don't think trade tarriffs and all that talk on penalizing corporations by taxing them won't have an impact on consumers.
They will definitely cause prices to rise.The question is do you want people working in a Red Wing factory making $300 boots who can afford to buy $300 boots or someone working in Wally World stocking the shelves with $50 boots they can afford?

Free and fair trade is ideal, emphasis on fair. Government backed Chinese solar panel manufacturers dumping product on the market with the intention of monopolizing the future production is something we all need to pay attention to.

Old 06-01-2017, 06:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariete View Post
No, maybe what Swedes pay, like 18 cents.
A quick search says Sweden gets most of their power from Hydro and Nuclear.

Old 06-01-2017, 06:01 AM

7,685 posts, read 6,196,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TreeBeard View Post
Reports are that Trump will pull out of the Paris Accords on Climate Change. If true it is devastating news for our children and he has effectively destroyed US credibility around the world. Be prepared for furious reaction from around the globe.

The USA now become a backward looking nation rather than one facing the future. Trump continues to bring us down.

Donald Trump to withdraw US from Paris Agreement on climate change, sources claim | The Independent
THIS IS WHAT HE RAN ON - President Trump is keeping his campaign promises.

Ones that don't like it/him - there's a big world out there with many other countries to permanently move to. In fact some of you in here and in Hollywood promised you would move out of the USA if President Trump won the November 2016 election and you're still here bellyaching!

Old 06-01-2017, 06:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
As you say, coal and oil are finite sources. No matter how many mountain tops we blast off, or how many streams and rivers we pollute, or how many oil spills we clean halfway up, eventually we run out.
Finite meaning 100 years to 700 years supply. The market has decades to solve the renewable energy challenge. We don't need government involvement at all.

The AGW hoax actually hurts the environment because it sucks up all the resources that could be used supporting environmental clean up and protection.

Old 06-01-2017, 06:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
Free and fair trade is ideal, emphasis on fair. Government backed Chinese solar panel manufacturers dumping product on the market with the intention of monopolizing the future production is something we all need to pay attention to.
The Chinese people subsidizing my products is a good thing. I wish they would subsidize even more.

Government subsidizing products is good for the world and bad for their own country.

Our government subsidizes corn, so Americans pay more for their food but the rest of the world loves cheap corn.

Old 06-01-2017, 06:16 AM

13,685 posts, read 9,009,247 times
I do find it rather interesting that President Trump shall, seemingly from reports, ignore advise by the Pentagon and even Sec. of State Tillerson, former CEO of Exxon to stick with the Paris agreement.

However, we must recall that this Paris agreement is not a treaty, but a pledge (hence easy for the President to withdraw from, without Congressional action). From my understanding, even if we stay in, there is no 'penalty' if we or any country fails to achieve it's own particular goal regarding cutting emissions by 2024 or whatever year was set as an initial target.

The next President can, I guess, reverse course and rejoin the accord.

I imagine that President Trump is more interested in cancelling the our pledge to spend 3 billion dollars for some of the poorer, undeveloped nations, to become more 'green' during their development.

On the one hand, I agree that some people are becoming a bit hysterical over the planned withdrawal. Various corporations have already come out saying that, even if the US of A withdraws, they will continue with their attempts to lower emissions. Our Government's lack of participation for a few years will not, in and of itself, doom the planet, especially if China and India take the lead on reducing their own emissions.

Of course, on the other hand I am rather alarmed that so many people, including our President, seem to think that the science of global warming (first theorized in the 1820s, then called the Greenhouse Effect) is a 'liberal tactic' to somehow take over the world.

It is sad that Trump and some of his supporters wish to ignore science, or even common sense. I recall one poster a while back denying that the Earth's atmosphere can 'trap' gases, based on his or her reasoning that there is no 'ceiling' over the planet, hence said harmful emissions may safely float out to space. How can one argue or reason with such a person?

Anyway, Mr. Trump's base will be satisfied today. I have a feeling that our President is also about to renege on some other promise (of which he has reneged on a quite a few), so he feels that keeping this one promise will keep the base satisfied.

Old 06-01-2017, 06:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post
The Chinese people subsidizing my products is a good thing. I wish they would subsidize even more.
This is at the expense of US jobs and ultimately a race to the bottom.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies