Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2017, 03:50 PM

9,329 posts, read 4,141,179 times

Advertisements

I took a look at some statistics, and it appears to me that there's some correlation with local newspapers.

In other words, in cities with a good local paper - in other words, where reliable information is widely available - there's a tendency for people to have voted for Hillary. In places without a good local newspaper - in other words, where people are more likely to be swayed by rightwing fakers like Limbaugh, Alex Jones, Fox folk - they're more likely to fall for Trump's demagoguery.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2017, 04:20 PM

7,777 posts, read 6,385,415 times
The bottom line is that he did win.

Old 05-31-2017, 04:24 PM

3,615 posts, read 2,330,349 times
He won white college educated white males by a large margin, he won white millennials which is rare, he won white women. Alot of white collar professionals may not show off trump bumper stickers and stuff at work but someone voted for him, there are not that many rural people in the country.

Its amazing how republicans tend to dominate the white males with a college degree vote every election.

Old 05-31-2017, 04:42 PM

29,218 posts, read 22,361,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by No_Recess View Post
I'm a Rust Belt native living in the L.A. area.

I know nothing in LaLa Land is based in reality. Nothing.
That's your perception of reality only. Obviously, those around you have a different perception than yours.

And perception is what the OP is talking about.

Old 05-31-2017, 04:47 PM

52,431 posts, read 26,624,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bawac34618 View Post
Fact is, the numbers don't lie. Trump only won the states that carried him to victory by a razor-thin margin and most polls today have his popularity in the high 30s. The most right-leaning polls have him in the 40s, which is still nothing to write home about.
No fact it at all.

Trump won the battleground state of North Carolina where Hillary outspent him 10 x 1 in vain effort to win here. Her ads were on TV 24x7. Pollsters had her ahead by 9 pts.

I will challenge you to characterize NC as a backwards stagnant state which is what you seem to be attempting to try.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T-OY7LkhxC8

/thread fail

Old 05-31-2017, 04:51 PM

38,859 posts, read 25,538,911 times
Lightbulb Is perception of Trump's popularity dependent on geography?

It's more dependent on how closely someone follows politics and which news source they prefer.

Lots of people don't pay much attention to politics because they're working and have families to take care of and that's what absorbs their time and energy.

Old 05-31-2017, 04:52 PM

4,279 posts, read 1,903,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bawac34618 View Post
Angelinos are every bit as American as residents of Hackneyville, Alabama.
The illegals aren't and they make up quite a bit of CA's population.

Old 05-31-2017, 04:54 PM

421 posts, read 287,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post
No fact it at all.

Trump won the battleground state of North Carolina where Hillary outspent him 10 x 1 in vain effort to win here. Her ads were on TV 24x7. Pollsters had her ahead by 9 pts.

I will challenge you to characterize NC as a backwards stagnant state which is what you seem to be attempting to try.

/thread fail
You do realise the SCOTUS just ruled that two of the NC retooled districts were "illegal"?This thread is not about you ,why would you challenge anyone?

Old 05-31-2017, 05:08 PM

36,853 posts, read 17,360,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by banjomike View Post
That's your perception of reality only. Obviously, those around you have a different perception than yours.

And perception is what the OP is talking about.
The perception of what's going on in the country is crafted in Hollywood and Manhattan then expressed via the MSM as well as thru entertainment.

I remember last year when I realized Trump was going to win the election. It was last July and I was away from L.A. in my native Rust Belt visiting family.

I had to do a road trip from roughly Cleveland to Pittsburgh visiting family. I took the scenic route instead of the turnpike and saw firsthand the range of small cities, villages, and farms that were overwhelmingly supporting Trump. Being familiar with each area it was clear his support was vastly underestimated by the coastal elites.

People were using tractors, old cars, billboard-sized signs, etc in their yards in support of him. The vastly outnumbered Clinton signs were relegated to the urban cores and only the generic signage you get at party HQs were used. Meaning not only was the support for Trump, it was personal and passionate.

Back in L.A. I don't even recall seeing many signs. Too cool for signage I suppose.

But like you said, it's only my perception. It just happened to become reality so make of it what you will.

And oh yea, I hate both Hillary and Trump.

Old 05-31-2017, 05:10 PM

12,716 posts, read 7,811,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post
No fact it at all.

/thread fail
North Carolina mattered for Hillary, not for Trump. It's still a red state that can go blue with the right candidate like it did in 2008. Usually though, it will go red.

The states that won it for Trump were Michigan, Wisconsin, and Pennsylvania.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies