U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-01-2017, 01:14 AM

29,984 posts, read 15,175,773 times

Advertisements

OK folks, now for something a tad different from the hyper partisan political discussions. This qualifies here as "other controversies"

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...-already-here/

Robert Bigelow (well known in space circles for his inflatable habitats-one of which is currently attached to the space station). He claims that everything points to aliens being among us. Like most whenever this sort of thing is mentioned, I scoffed. But lets think this through.

We know its HIGHLY unlikely we are alone in the universe. If we are, most reasons for it are honestly terrifying. So given that, its not a unlikely statement.

If so, why? Why would they even take the time to observe us. Any culture capable of interstellar flight would most likely view us as utter savages, not even worth the time to observe.

And what are their plans?
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2017, 01:33 AM

5,278 posts, read 2,308,973 times
Covfefe is alien speak?

And you all didn't think Trump was smart.

Old 06-01-2017, 01:35 AM

29,984 posts, read 15,175,773 times
lol. One post to go political. Come on, lighten up, not everything has to be political.

If aliens are here the technological gap would be so extreme that they could basically do anything they wanted.

Old 06-01-2017, 01:45 AM

13,495 posts, read 5,735,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
We know its HIGHLY unlikely we are alone in the universe. If we are, most reasons for it are honestly terrifying.
It is likely that technological civilizations are very rare, or we would have seen evidence of them by now (Fermi paradox).

Quote:
If so, why? Why would they even take the time to observe us. Any culture capable of interstellar flight would most likely view us as utter savages, not even worth the time to observe.

If intelligent life is very rare then any instance of it would be a matter of great curiosity. If at some time in the future we are capable of interstellar travel, and we discover an alien civilization, it seems very likely that we will go and investigate, regardless of how primitive or advanced they are relative to us.

Old 06-01-2017, 01:50 AM

4,525 posts, read 1,403,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
OK folks, now for something a tad different from the hyper partisan political discussions. This qualifies here as "other controversies"

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...-already-here/

Robert Bigelow (well known in space circles for his inflatable habitats-one of which is currently attached to the space station). He claims that everything points to aliens being among us. Like most whenever this sort of thing is mentioned, I scoffed. But lets think this through.

We know its HIGHLY unlikely we are alone in the universe. If we are, most reasons for it are honestly terrifying. So given that, its not a unlikely statement.

Well, there are certain websites out there where I kinda go to gawk and say "Huh. People really think like that?". It's technically not worth my time as I never will agree with the full extent of their views, but I still just go lurk and observe for the wonder and giggles.

It could also be along the same lines of how we visit zoos, aquariums and the like to see the wildlife. We could be the aliens' version of a zoo, something to ogle at.

Old 06-01-2017, 02:56 AM

13,495 posts, read 5,735,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by latimeria View Post
It could also be along the same lines of how we visit zoos, aquariums and the like to see the wildlife. We could be the aliens' version of a zoo, something to ogle at.
And we don't just go to zoos to ogle animals, we study all living things systematically, in as much detail as possible. Many thousands of people around the world dedicate their lives to the mundane task of slowly advancing our knowledge about terrestrial life. Imagine the lengths people would go to for a chance to study life on another world.

Old 06-01-2017, 03:10 AM

10,926 posts, read 5,799,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dark Enlightenment View Post
And we don't just go to zoos to ogle animals, we study all living things systematically, in as much detail as possible. Many thousands of people around the world dedicate their lives to the mundane task of slowly advancing our knowledge about terrestrial life. Imagine the lengths people would go to for a chance to study life on another world.
It would be rather incredible.

Old 06-01-2017, 06:22 AM

13,436 posts, read 9,725,522 times
Most of the aliens are at Berkeley.

Old 06-01-2017, 06:31 AM

19,724 posts, read 13,544,420 times
I've always said that I think we humans were put here as someones' little experiment..........kinda like an ant farm. They come back occasionally to check on us, and see how we are progressing. Bet they are damn disappointed that in a billion years we really haven't progressed very far !

I was at the "UFO" crash site in Kecksburg, Pa, in 1965, and we were turned around by a very strong military presence, who threatened to arrest us if we did not get out of there. They surrounded the area, kept everyone out, and the next day, a flat bed trailer truck hauled something very large and very round out of there, hidden under a huge tarp.

I think the governments of the world know a lot more than they will tell us about things like this. Here is a link to a story about Kecksburg:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kecksburg_UFO_incident

Old 06-01-2017, 06:40 AM

13,436 posts, read 9,725,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by don1945 View Post
I've always said that I think we humans were put here as someones' little experiment..........kinda like an ant farm. They come back occasionally to check on us, and see how we are progressing. Bet they are damn disappointed that in a billion years we really haven't progressed very far !

I was at the "UFO" crash site in Kecksburg, Pa, in 1965, and we were turned around by a very strong military presence, who threatened to arrest us if we did not get out of there. They surrounded the area, kept everyone out, and the next day, a flat bed trailer truck hauled something very large and very round out of there, hidden under a huge tarp.

I think the governments of the world know a lot more than they will tell us about things like this. Here is a link to a story about Kecksburg:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kecksburg_UFO_incident
More likely a black budget aircraft that didnt do so well..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies