Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2017, 08:21 PM

29,218 posts, read 22,365,741 times

Advertisements

I think Trump just tried to chop all the American green technology that has developed over the past decade off at the knees, and I don't think the industrialists who have invested their billions are going to stand for it.

It's not a drain on our economy as long as we are leading the technology pack. Instead, it's a massive creator of new 21st century jobs.

I fully expect Trump will have a mutiny on his hands very quickly. The billionaires who have invested so much into global warming will certainly continue to do their work globally, whether the USA is part of the Accord or not, but being out of the accord will put them at a disadvantage.

No private industry, even ours, can compete with a nation that has fully committed to efforts to slow the warming. And when 200 nations are all committed to it, there is no way private industry can match that kind of massive research and expenditure of multi- national commitment.

Global warming has been just a political issue here for a long time now, but it's not politics elsewhere in the world. It's not at all a liberal vs. conservative thing anywhere else in the world except for the U.S., and the rest of the world is not going to wait around while we dilly-dally for political advantage over global warming.

The United States is not the only nation on the planet that has a lot of smart people or advanced technology. Science is still science, and scientists make no distinction where the facts come from or who advances their knowledge.

Take it for granted that when many nations all get together working on one single thing, something brand new will come from such united effort that we won't be able to share or participate in creating.

Our best minds will be like those in Communist Russia- always playing catch-up to everything because they are now isolated and cut off from the fastest advancements.

Even if Trump comes to regret his stupidity and puts every resource he has at our scientist's disposal, there's no way our Treasury will ever have enough in it to match the combined resources of 200 others, large and small.

Trump never thinks of consequences, and everything he does is for momentary political gain. His move made some of his voters happy, but I think they will all come to really regret it pretty soon.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2017, 08:23 PM

15,507 posts, read 6,432,565 times
in my personal opinion that was the best speech a president has ever given

Old 06-02-2017, 08:25 PM

9,694 posts, read 7,392,751 times
the paris cliamte control has nothing to do with climate control, it has to do with other countries have control over american polictics and the united states having to pay the huge amount of money for other counties to contol. its all money and one world order

Old 06-02-2017, 08:32 PM

4,713 posts, read 3,472,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by banjomike View Post
I think Trump just tried to chop all the American green technology that has developed over the past decade off at the knees, and I don't think the industrialists who have invested their billions are going to stand for it.

It's not a drain on our economy as long as we are leading the technology pack. Instead, it's a massive creator of new 21st century jobs.

I fully expect Trump will have a mutiny on his hands very quickly. The billionaires who have invested so much into global warming will certainly continue to do their work globally, whether the USA is part of the Accord or not, but being out of the accord will put them at a disadvantage.

No private industry, even ours, can compete with a nation that has fully committed to efforts to slow the warming. And when 200 nations are all committed to it, there is no way private industry can match that kind of massive research and expenditure of multi- national commitment.

Global warming has been just a political issue here for a long time now, but it's not politics elsewhere in the world. It's not at all a liberal vs. conservative thing anywhere else in the world except for the U.S., and the rest of the world is not going to wait around while we dilly-dally for political advantage over global warming.

The United States is not the only nation on the planet that has a lot of smart people or advanced technology. Science is still science, and scientists make no distinction where the facts come from or who advances their knowledge.

Take it for granted that when many nations all get together working on one single thing, something brand new will come from such united effort that we won't be able to share or participate in creating.

Our best minds will be like those in Communist Russia- always playing catch-up to everything because they are now isolated and cut off from the fastest advancements.

Even if Trump comes to regret his stupidity and puts every resource he has at our scientist's disposal, there's no way our Treasury will ever have enough in it to match the combined resources of 200 others, large and small.

Trump never thinks of consequences, and everything he does is for momentary political gain. His move made some of his voters happy, but I think they will all come to really regret it pretty soon.
Great post!

Old 06-02-2017, 08:58 PM

5,661 posts, read 3,523,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atalanta View Post
I think every person wants what is best for Earth, for all life forms here. The circle of life.

This Paris Climte deal is a drain on USA.
Us American citizens will make sure we do our part and stand up to take care of the Earth.
And to push laws that really do help.

The people going off of the cuff and freaking out, I hope they step back and look at the whole picture of this Paris deal.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
Well we wouldn't want to inconvenience our country that has been the primary contributor to global warming for the last 100 years.
You could be right, but I am not to sure.
I Dont think we have been the primary contributor for the last 100 years.
A contributor, yes. Primary I disagree.
But if you back up your claim, I stand corrected.

Old 06-02-2017, 09:55 PM
i7pXFLbhE3gq

n/a posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by banjomike View Post

The Trump cult does not care about 21st century jobs. They do not want to move forward. They want to drag us backward. They're not prepared for the future, so they're engaging in a futile attempt to stop it from happening.

Yes, pulling out has huge short and long-term consequences for the US economy, but the cult does not care, and their leader is too stupid to understand the ramifications of the stupid things he says and does.

Old 06-03-2017, 04:33 AM

8,312 posts, read 3,927,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonF View Post
The Trump cult does not care about 21st century jobs. They do not want to move forward. They want to drag us backward. They're not prepared for the future, so they're engaging in a futile attempt to stop it from happening.

Yes, pulling out has huge short and long-term consequences for the US economy, but the cult does not care, and their leader is too stupid to understand the ramifications of the stupid things he says and does.
Pulling out was a political stunt, nothing more or less than a crass power play to appease Trump's dimwit base. There is no upside to pulling out. Trump could have stayed in and not spent a federal dime on climate change, as no country in the accord is compelled to do anything. It was a childish act of spite.

Old 06-03-2017, 04:58 AM
Status: "“If a thing loves, it is infinite.”" (set 3 days ago)

27,180 posts, read 13,461,836 times
I noted that ealier in the thread, I also observed it is very unlikely the US would go back to serious coal production, meaning the Trump and the US have needlessly left the Paris Accord.

Old 06-03-2017, 05:00 AM

20,109 posts, read 9,018,880 times
our "allies" won't even honor agreements like paying their share for the UN or NATO. Sign a non-binding agreement with them on climate change?

lmao

Old 06-03-2017, 05:04 AM
Status: "“If a thing loves, it is infinite.”" (set 3 days ago)

27,180 posts, read 13,461,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
You cannot replace coal, natural gas, hydro or nuclear with wind and solar. You can only supplement or offset their use. As the amount of renewable resources increases the cost of electric from conventional resources necessarily rises because they are only being used part of the time.
Nobody is saying Natural Gas and Nuclear Power should be replaced, this is about fossil fuels and namely coal. As for Solar, Hydro, Tidal/Wave Power, Wind Power, Bio-Mass/Bio Fuel, Geothermal etc they can make up a significant amount of energy production, indeed most countries are committed to significantly changing their energy production mix.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Telegraph

The nation’s solar panels scorched the previous record set last month by generating 8.7GW of power, more than nuclear and coal power combined.

Solar power was the second most used generating technology behind gas-fired power and made up around 25pc of the UK’s electricity, its highest ever share of the market on a working week day.

The UK now has just over 12GW of solar power in place, the same production capacity as eight new-generation nuclear reactors.

Solar power reaches a record high as it surges past nuclear and coal - Telegraph
If Solar power can produce nearly 25% of energy production in the UK, then many far sunnier countries should have no problem inceasing such energy sources to record levels. It should be noted that the UK is investing in all sorts of clean fuels and new power stations including the latest generation of clean nuclear stations, and is gradually phasing out much of it's dirty fossil fuel energy.

Picture/Data Link - UK Energy Production

Last edited by Brave New World; 06-03-2017 at 05:55 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies