Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-02-2017, 09:42 PM

191 posts, read 161,215 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetgraphics View Post
No 'respectable' climate scientist admits that we can REVERSE the changes, nor specifies what is the official “normal.”
Incorrect. Engineers have been studying ways to reverse it. Carbon Sequestration via pumping CO2 below the ocean, spraying reflective particles into the atmosphere (clouds - like when a volcano erupts and blocks the sun out and everything gets colder), placing mirrors up into orbit around the earth, etc

Quote:
Which begs the question, how does sequestering CO2 prevent the alleged disasters that have yet to manifest, when water vapor is the major factor?
Prove it

Quote:
Why aren't the ALARMISTS seeking common sense solutions?
1. Cease subsidizing waste, and penalizing frugality.
2. Encourage only the construction of superinsulated, low fuel consumption housing.
Because people are by-and-large emotionally-driven idiots (the liberals I meet) and think scraping 10% off terminal CO2 emissions is going to save us from our doom

Also, low fuel consumption housing is really tricky to come by. The only clean energy is the energy you dont use.

Quote:
3. Transition from the automobile / petroleum / pavement mode to the electric traction rail mode of land transport. [Up to 90% savings in fuel consumption]
People are in love with their personal vehicles, that's the biggest problem. Beyond that, you have to worry about balancing the electrical grid and increasing the electrical output during peak hours to offset petroleum use. People often overlook the efficiency losses, energy costs, and dollar costs associated with transmitting electrical energy far distances (e.g. solar from mojave desert)

Quote:
4. Construct dikes and levees around threatened shorelines. [See Netherlands]
See New Orleans

Quote:
5. Thicken the life bearing volume of the planet
That's only temporary carbon sequestration. When trees/animals die, decay, or are burnt, their carbon is released back into the atmosphere often in gaseous form (unless they're trapped under oceans like the Trilobytes were before decaying into the petroleum we burn today)

Also, forest decrease the earth's albedo and less radiant energy is reflected back into space.

Quote:
- - - DATA - - -
● Earth max : (134.33 F)
● Space station max : (250 F)
● Lunar surface max : ( 242.33 F)

Zero atmosphere = higher maximum temperature
How does a “heat trapping”atmosphere stay colder?[/quote]

Easy, the atmosphere reflects a certain amount of radiant energy which keeps the Earth cooler than the ISS. However, radiant energy that should be exiting the Earth and going out into space is also being reflected back down to the earth's surface

Quote:
And if heat was being 'trapped,' why hasn't the maximum temperature gone up to a new record level?
Is the “Greenhouse effect” like a refrigerator “trapping heat”?
Sort of like a refrigerator, but different physics. There are different forms of thermal transfer - conductive, convective, and radiative. Greenhouse effect is mostly radiative where a refrigerator insulates via conductive protection.

The maximum temperatures are rising, and continuing to rise. Like a refrigerator cools down when you open the door (the thermodynamic balance changes), the earth is warming up bc the "door is being closed". Even if all CO2 emissions stop now, the Earth would continue warming for decades with the amount of CO2 we've already put in the atmosphere.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2017, 09:43 PM

10,920 posts, read 6,908,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by natalie469 View Post
Honestly, I doubt a scientist would be on this forum.
Ok? Do you want my CV?

Old 06-02-2017, 09:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyMac18 View Post
"Common sense" is the natural occurrence that correlates with the current warming trend? Eh???
That's not what I wrote, I provided you several research papers and a YouTube video.

Old 06-02-2017, 09:46 PM

Quote:
Ok? Do you want my CV?
I'm curious but not in doubt. I'm an engineer. I studied alternative energy engineering bc I wanted to save the planet and realized how ****ty it all is. Professors were outright lying about the disgusting amount of government subsidies that go into them.

Nuclear is the best option after hydro (98% viable hydro in the US is already tapped), and even that isn't really good.

Old 06-02-2017, 09:48 PM

1,708 posts, read 1,098,877 times
Quote:
If only he had actually said that...Al Gore: 'I Invented the Internet'
Snopes? Really? Beelzebub.com would be more honest.

Old 06-02-2017, 09:50 PM

32,060 posts, read 15,055,077 times
Quote:
"Common sense" is the natural occurrence that correlates with the current warming trend? Eh???

Common sense means just that. Do you clean your home and take the trash out. Or do you just smell of trash permanenting your home. You take care of your home right? And the earth is your home for your future generations. So please take care of it for them.

Old 06-02-2017, 09:50 PM

1,708 posts, read 1,098,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floorist View Post
Why has every climate model been way off?
The science is settled, thus the inaccuracy of the models, and the total lack of science in this science is absolutely beyond question.

Old 06-02-2017, 09:55 PM

34,278 posts, read 19,365,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by functionofx View Post
Snopes? Really? Beelzebub.com would be more honest.
Oh look-you can't actually deny the facts, so you will make some nonsensical attack on the source. Pathetic.

Old 06-02-2017, 09:56 PM

10,920 posts, read 6,908,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by natalie469 View Post
Common sense means just that. Do you clean your home and take the trash out. Or do you just smell of trash permanenting your home. You take care of your home right? And the earth is your home for your future generations. So please take care of it for them.
I'm not actually sure what you're arguing... you sound like you're agreeing with me.

Old 06-02-2017, 09:57 PM

34,619 posts, read 21,607,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mtnluver8956 View Post
Pedro, your not ready to understand what a climate model is if you don't even get the basic principals of AGW that you are trying to disprove.

It's like a non-football watching person having a football argument with a NFL coach.

Again waiting for my answer *popcorn*
"You just can't understand why models don't work."

Yeah, right.

The fact is that the climate is way too complex to model with our current technology and understanding.

But go ahead and keep claiming "but scientists agree", because until they can show any type of relative accuracy in their models, it's just a fact that they have yet to fully understand the millions of factors that impact it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies