Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-03-2017, 02:26 PM

39,222 posts, read 27,592,812 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by personne View Post
Please, let me thank you for your politeness.

That is not at all what the deal is about.

But if you mean that it is not enough, well we might agree.

What was so incredible and historical about that deal is that finally, after decades, every country in the world had gone and pledged to an agreement. However small it might seems in your view (maybe, maybe not); EVERY country was okay to make an effort!

It is not a "feel good" thing, it is a start for what is the greatest threat, worst than fundamentalism (In Paris 11th arrondissement and in Nice, don't start me on that).

Fundamentalism is our nearest ennemy, okay? This is even worse, as it is insiduous. I have faith that western world will overcome fundamentalism, from either way. Planet destroying? Not so much.

But still, this accord was a great thing, one that children will read in history books maybe, well, if they stay free, when ALL countries in the world tried to find a solution. ALL of them.

Well,; except for.... you know them.
... and thank you for the bold.

The Paris Agreement had no teeth.

As far as Trump’s actions, he really had two choices given his domestic policy goals and stated desire to reinvigorate the coal industry. You don’t reach a decrease in emissions by increasing use of the very things which cause emissions (the terms of the agreement). So, his choices were either:

Say we’re staying in the agreement, but actively violate the terms of the agreement (knowing there are no repercussions); or,
Leave the agreement.

But consequences for leaving the agreement? There are none. It just provides an opportunity for Trump to pander to his base, while his opposition does the same.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2017, 02:28 PM

15,823 posts, read 12,461,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
As far as Trump’s actions, he really had two choices given his domestic policy goals and stated desire to reinvigorate the coal industry.
We have better odds of bringing back Blockbuster than bringing back coal jobs.

Old 06-03-2017, 02:34 PM

39,222 posts, read 27,592,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katzpaw View Post
We have better odds of bringing back Blockbuster than bringing back coal jobs.
I understand that. But when you just quote one sentence, I have no idea how do you want me to go on with the discussion.

So I will leave it at that. I understand that.

Old 06-03-2017, 02:34 PM

5,658 posts, read 6,275,960 times
Quote:
It is not a "feel good" thing, it is a start for what is the greatest threat...
A far more present and potential threat is the range of outcomes that could result from widespread automation, runaway digital superintelligence, or the potential inconsequentiality of human intelligence.

Climate change? 0.3 degrees C increase in global temp over 83 years from the US backing out of this political wedge. That's the precise *worst-case* scenario from the experts who are deeply vested in climate change ideology.

Old 06-03-2017, 02:36 PM

30,419 posts, read 20,301,605 times
No. Trump was right ...we were getting screwed:

Paris Climate Agreement: Americans Foot Bill, No Effect on Climate | National Review

Old 06-03-2017, 02:40 PM

27,307 posts, read 16,218,061 times
Quote:
Absolutely not!!

Very developped countries were asked to dimisnish emissions, while in development countries (such as china was at the time, is not that way now) were asked to slow it down, etc.

You're missing a big economic point.

"China has, or example, earmarked more than 250 billion US dollars for renewable energy, nearly 490 billion for “smart grids” and 220 billion to tackle chronic air pollution.

With the Paris Agreement back in the headlines, it is clear that both the EU and China have much to gain from a closer partnership on climate change."

https://news.cgtn.com/news/3d6b7a4e7...e/share_p.html

China has opened money for more than 300B$ in renewable energy after Trump sold USA out.

If no one had to meet the same target, which is not true, but let's accept it, it's also that noone was the worst offender as you were back when the accord was neogiated (more than 20 years to get to that, and your toddler/president tries to make it fall, like a tower of bricks)

China (oh, I don't even want to worry about that one) applies capitalistic reality that you preach. The world needs this, we'll give it to them, and invest, and create jobs.

Think about it.

The rest will be for children and grand children to pick up.
China will do what it wants to do. They will smile, agree to anything but it's business as usual for them. China will do whatever benefits them first and their political dialectic.

So stop fooling yourself, the accord is unenforceable. It's a meaningless paper tiger. Not worth the paper it's printed on.

Old 06-03-2017, 02:40 PM

11,119 posts, read 5,587,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by finalmove View Post
Nice grammar and punctuation. Otherwise just more enviro-crazy idiocy. Your climate religion is a scam!
Remember----you on the Left can't get past those like me!

Yes, her English and grammar are much better than that of most of the Trump sycophants here. And the vast majority of us in the U. S. recognize the mess we have allowed this would-be dictator to make of our government, in such a short time. I hope that more people from other countries will express themselves about this, on the forum. Even those who oppose Trump, need to be reminded what is happening to our reputation around the world. The arrogance of the quoted responder above in my post, will fragment and dissipate, when this ersatz administration self-destructs from its own internal disorders.

But aside from global-warming or whatever it might be called, it wouldn't be a bad idea to reduce pollution of all kinds. Saying that such accords as the one set in Paris, are too ineffective or small in their scope, is to practice defeatism. If we claim that the problem is too large and we should give up trying to solve environmental destruction, that guarantees our failure as a world civilization.

The harder we try to do what's right, the more other people will join us and the problems will begin diminishing. The biggest shame would be not that we caused the pollution in the first place, but that we didn't do our best to overcome it.

Old 06-03-2017, 02:42 PM

1,349 posts, read 663,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by finalmove View Post
Nice grammar and punctuation. Otherwise just more enviro-crazy idiocy. Your climate religion is a scam!
Remember----you on the Left can't get past those like me!
Thank you for the compliment on my english, although I'm not sure if it is sarcastic (I tend to edit all the time, but I do try)

Anyway, I would love to know where to worship my climate god?

Like this, you mean?

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/...ting-away.html

Or this : (very serious credible newssource - but in french - I don't mind translating)

Comprendre le réchauffement climatique en 4 minutes

And then why would I want to get past you? I certainly wouldn't! I don't hate you or anyone who thinks as such. I merely want to open your eyes to FACTS. If you need a fight for us to do so, I hope you are good in street fighting I already know you're hardly taken on your left.

Don't give so many clues, grasshopper )

Old 06-03-2017, 02:46 PM

14,482 posts, read 11,278,588 times
Quote:
Which green activist? neither green, nor activist.

I'm a French woman, part of this world and am just expressing not only views, but also some that I took time to research so that I could expose them to you as truthfully as I could.

Why disregard? Are you too afraid to read? and then answer?

It is a pity if so.

Or maybe you just saw the last image and didn't read at all? I wonder.
What has France done so far to adhere to the Paris Agreement?

Old 06-03-2017, 02:49 PM

1,349 posts, read 663,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katzpaw View Post
You can't just isolate this one topic. For better or worse, it will lead to isolation, will cost a seat at the table, loss of influence, and affect trade and other international agreements and negotiations.

Note that Trudeau says "US federal government" not "US" - a distinction between Trump and other Americans, and a hope or belief that his reign is a temporary abberration.

https://twitter.com/JustinTrudeau/st...86250762645504
Thank you for saying what I meant so much better.

They don't seem to understand that they lose much more than we do.

But it is still a sorry state.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies