Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2017, 07:32 AM
Status: "Apparently the worst poster on CD" (set 26 days ago)

27,645 posts, read 16,125,463 times

Advertisements

I don't really give a hoot but can you imagine a "white" anything and the national outrage and msm coverage?

Old 06-02-2017, 07:51 AM

17,291 posts, read 29,397,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007

It is interesting that you state the blue in particular about Latinos when they actually did have movements and activism about the same things. So did Asian Americans who also have their own separate ceremonies. You mentioned LGBT and they also have their own ceremonies. Yet you only care about the black people. Seems to me that you are upset for no reason at all and it is telling IMO that you are only upset about black graduates and not LGBT, Latino, and Asian Americans. FWIW I find it as a compliment that you at least know about black activism, which is a core component of "black culture." We are fighters and don't shut up about stuff - something I actually love about being black. Due to that cultural tenet, we inspire other groups to also speak up when they are wronged, which was the case for Latinos, Asian Americans, and LGBTQ groups. They were inspired by black America and its activism. You seem to despise this activism. Makes me think you don't want black Americans to say anything you don't like or do anything you don't like because you don't want to hear it/see it. That is a very condescending attitude.

There's an awful lot of ASSumptions going on here. Some misplaced anger, I think. I merely posited an explanation as to why people are making a big deal of the Harvard separate black graduation, as compared to these things not getting the same attention in 2015. I think all segregated ceremonies are bull**** identity politics and create WEAK societies where people spend more time cultivating identities around things that are inherent to their being rather than something they worked for or developed.

"I'm black!" I'm Irish!" "I'm proud to have green eyes!" Well, congratulations! Good for you! Great choice!

My generation (late Gen-X, early Millenials) were brought up on the "I have a dream" model of race relations, which was sold heavily to kids and by and large is accepted by my generation. I personally will never treat anyone different based on something they cannot choose (race, ethnicity, sexuality). If anything I might actually be nicer to people who aren't like me and g out of my way to show that I see them as equal regardless of phenotypical differences. The younger millenials are being brought up in a different atmosphere.

You see a MAJOR disconnect now with people trying to implement that model while being confronted with the "no, actually, you're still a racist and I think you should judge me - positively, of course, and as a victim - based on my skin color while reflecting on how your mere existence oppresses me" model that is being pushed on campuses today. Critical race theory is trash.

But hey - if you are a segregationist and want to be separate. Go for it. If you or other black people don't "trust" white people, fine ... don't expect me to sacrifice mine or my own for you, or to work to ensure you have "opportunities." The moment I suspect that someone sees me as different or something they tolerate with a grudge is the moment they are written off.

I have zero moral obligation to people who want to be separate from me. My tax dollars don't need to go towards any social program to help people who don't look like me, think like me, have sex like me, and otherwise don't want to be associated with me. Right? That's how it should work?

You want to be on your own, be on your own. 100% on your own.

Old 06-02-2017, 08:05 AM

17,291 posts, read 29,397,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alonso_Castillo View Post
The only issue that nobody says here is Spanish Language, hispanics are White, black Brown etc, but Spanish language and Catholic faith unite us, most of those who hate hispanics in fact hate Spanish language and Catholic mass goers.

By the way if you want to be participant of Hispanic culture you can learn spanish as hispanics participate of anglo culture by learning english....

There's a LOT of "Latinos" in the US running around calling themselves "Hispanic" when they've never set foot in Latin America and know about as much Spanish as Dora the Explorer. (40% of US born do not speak Spanish at home. This number would probably be higher, but-for the continued influx of Latin people via immigration. I see this in my own family who are immigrants that after the first generation, use of the mother tongue becomes a curiosity or cultural artifact, not an everyday thing).

Latino is not a race. A Colombian or Cuban doesn't get to co-opt the experiences of Chicano farm workers to claim being an "oppressed by white people!" But I guess they can still go to the segregated graduation because hey, the countries where their ancestors are from were all once colonized by Spain?

Old 06-02-2017, 08:30 AM

8,851 posts, read 5,868,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alonso_Castillo View Post
The only issue that nobody says here is Spanish Language, hispanics are White, black Brown etc, but Spanish language and Catholic faith unite us, most of those who hate hispanics in fact hate Spanish language and Catholic mass goers.

By the way if you want to be participant of Hispanic culture you can learn spanish as hispanics participate of anglo culture by learning english....
Catholic Mass actually unites many Americans of all ethnic backgrounds (Hispanic/Latino, Polish, Irish, Italian, Ukrainians/ Eastern Europeans, people from many African/Caribbean countries, Filipinos, many Indians and Middle Eastern decent and many black/white Americans many of whom also have an ethnic background). Heck, Mike Pence was raised Catholic, and Sean Spicer, a good portion of the Supreme Court are Catholic, and many politicians on both sides of the aisle are Catholic. I guess my point is, I don't think that dislike of Catholic faith had anything to do with the hate. Actually, one of the most beautiful things about going to Mass is that you get to see a huge melting pot of people getting along, at least for one hour

Old 06-02-2017, 08:39 AM

16,212 posts, read 10,819,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TriMT7 View Post
There's an awful lot of ASSumptions going on here. Some misplaced anger, I think. I merely posited an explanation as to why people are making a big deal of the Harvard separate black graduation, as compared to these things not getting the same attention in 2015. I think all segregated ceremonies are bull**** identity politics and create WEAK societies where people spend more time cultivating identities around things that are inherent to their being rather than something they worked for or developed.

"I'm black!" I'm Irish!" "I'm proud to have green eyes!" Well, congratulations! Good for you! Great choice!

My generation (late Gen-X, early Millenials) were brought up on the "I have a dream" model of race relations, which was sold heavily to kids and by and large is accepted by my generation. I personally will never treat anyone different based on something they cannot choose (race, ethnicity, sexuality). If anything I might actually be nicer to people who aren't like me and g out of my way to show that I see them as equal regardless of phenotypical differences. The younger millenials are being brought up in a different atmosphere.

You see a MAJOR disconnect now with people trying to implement that model while being confronted with the "no, actually, you're still a racist and I think you should judge me - positively, of course, and as a victim - based on my skin color while reflecting on how your mere existence oppresses me" model that is being pushed on campuses today. Critical race theory is trash.

But hey - if you are a segregationist and want to be separate. Go for it. If you or other black people don't "trust" white people, fine ... don't expect me to sacrifice mine or my own for you, or to work to ensure you have "opportunities." The moment I suspect that someone sees me as different or something they tolerate with a grudge is the moment they are written off.

I have zero moral obligation to people who want to be separate from me. My tax dollars don't need to go towards any social program to help people who don't look like me, think like me, have sex like me, and otherwise don't want to be associated with me. Right? That's how it should work?

You want to be on your own, be on your own. 100% on your own.
FYI - I was not angry. I don't get angry about stuff on the internets

Just based my opinion of your words and wrote my own words and told you how they come off - as condescending and not wanting black people to do anything you don't like, while giving a pass to Latinos and LGBTQ persons who do the same thing.

If that is not what you felt, then fine, but that is how your words come across in that post to me specifically.

On generations, I am also a member of Gen X (I am 38 years old so some also consider me an older Millenial - I don't because most of the Millenials I know are younger than me and in their late 20s/early30s and we are pretty different in regards to our experiences in life).

On proud of being black and/or Irish, I specifically mentioned I am proud of the culture. People consistently denigrate what they believe is "black culture" and they act like it is only being a criminal or "acting ghetto" or like a "thug."

I am a Gen X history buff who has a pretty intense interest in black history and culture so I know what true black culture is. I was reared in a culture that promoted social service and activism - being outspoken/active in the face of adversity. Due to that, I admire that part of my culture and I take pride in that and strength from my culture in my personal life - which is one of many reasons why I don't get upset about stuff on the internets

On the blue, that is fine. Contrary to what many people like you seem to believe, black people don't want your help. There are plenty of black, Latino, Asian, LGBTQ of various backgrounds, and white Americans who actually do understand what black people are speaking about and they are more than willing to "help" if asked to do so. You would not be considered to be someone who we would want help from. LOL that I have to tell you this. It is funny to me that many other people say the same things you are stating - basically insinuating that we need you to save us from something.

This thread is about a graduation ceremony for Latino (and indirectly black) Harvard graduates. None of them need any help from you.

Old 06-02-2017, 08:46 AM

8,851 posts, read 5,868,455 times
I didn't hear about this until now. I did hear about the separate ceremony for African Americans. As a white person, I don't really have a problem with it as it seems like these are more private, intimate ceremonies in addition to the main one. Although, I don't like how it continues to "separate" groups, I can understand why they may want a separate ceremony (and I'm sure there may be other separate ceremonies for fraternity, religious groups, etc).

To answer your original question...I think when African Americans are involved, these stories bring up more emotion and get more attention. With all of the emotions/anger on both sides from Black Lives Matter, tensions between blacks and police officers, and generally more negative media attention around blacks as compared to other groups; I think these types of stories bring out more emotion when they involve African Americans as opposed to other groups. Not saying it's right, but honestly, that seems to be the obvious answer. That's why this story involving Latinos got much less attention than the African American ceremony.

Old 06-02-2017, 08:50 AM

For TriMT7 the portion of your comments that stated the following:

Quote:
Is also pretty condescending based on the bold.

I never treat anyone better than someone else just because they look different from me. You doing the above IMO would show that you see people with "phenotypical differences" as people who you inherently know are inferior to you, yet you don't want to show your true colors, so to speak. So you are putting on a show and being fake.

The stuff I'm writing to you right now, as a black woman, I'd say it to your face if you said to my face the same stuff you are typing. I highly doubt you would have the guts to even say what you type to anyone with "phenotypical differences" from yourself. IMO that is a sign of character weakness. I have no problem discussing, in a civilized fashion these sorts of things. I have had many honest discussions such as these with white friends, family members, and co-workers over the years. They even sought me out for some of these discussions because they know I am honest and unlike other black people, who are similar to you (and IMO they are like this because they do not have a deep knowledge of their culture) and who sugar coat how they treat/speak to white people, they will not give an authentic opinion about controversial matters.

But facts remain that 2015 there were race riots. I am not a Millenial and am probaby the same age or am older than you and so you trying to tell me generational stuff is unnecessary.

You internalizing and refusing to study American history as it pertains to the true events and activities of the CRM and believing it was only about "integration" and the I Have a Dream Speech, is you being close minded about your own nation's history, a huge component of which is what was always called "the race problem."

The issue in our country in regards to race today is mostly people saying things are "racist" that aren't - like graduation luncheon ceremonies for Latinos and/or black and/or LGBTQ and/or Asian students at Ivy League institutions.

Racism entails the belief that someone is inferior or superior to another based solely on "phenotypical differences" as you like to describe race it seems. No one indicated that whites could not come to these celebrations. All of these graduates attended the general commencement. So IMO you and others with the same condescending, savior complex having attitudes, are just being defensive and upset that you basically don't have the balls to have a "white only" ceremony and deny other people acesss to said ceremony. Ironically though, you do have the right to do so and no one is stopping you.

Old 06-02-2017, 08:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by personone View Post
I didn't hear about this until now. I did hear about the separate ceremony for African Americans. As a white person, I don't really have a problem with it as it seems like these are more private, intimate ceremonies in addition to the main one. Although, I don't like how it continues to "separate" groups, I can understand why they may want a separate ceremony (and I'm sure there may be other separate ceremonies for fraternity, religious groups, etc).

To answer your original question...I think when African Americans are involved, these stories bring up more emotion and get more attention. With all of the emotions/anger on both sides from Black Lives Matter, tensions between blacks and police officers, and generally more negative media attention around blacks as compared to other groups; I think these types of stories bring out more emotion when they involve African Americans as opposed to other groups. Not saying it's right, but honestly, that seems to be the obvious answer. That's why this story involving Latinos got much less attention than the African American ceremony.
Black people always get more negative attention than other groups. IMO that is because we have a history and culture that is outspoken. When someone tells another person they are wrong about something, even on a personal level, the person being told they are wrong, will usually get defensive.

IMO it is not about BLM. BLM is not important to most black people. Police have been killing, harassing, and abusing black people since the end of the Civil War (and for the free black population, even before the civil war in many areas). You all just didn't believe us and felt we were liars about it until this technology came into the mix.

But even with the police thing, not sure how Harvard graduates having a luncheon is anything worth a white person getting upset about. I personally feel it is a deep seated hatred towards black people that drives this defensiveness from many whites. They do not want to be told they are participating in or contributing to any type of oppression. And because black people have done this for over 100 years - do what my grandmother used to say "told them about themselves" they are always going to be upset at black people as a demographic and so will take every opportunity to try to prove that blacks are just as bad as they are.

Old 06-02-2017, 09:23 AM

8,452 posts, read 4,750,199 times
I think all segregated ceremonies are silly, inappropriate and hypocritical but I won't miss a minute of sleep over them.

Old 06-02-2017, 09:40 AM
Status: "Apparently the worst poster on CD" (set 26 days ago)

27,645 posts, read 16,125,463 times
Will they be serving snacks?

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=FbYj7ZyqjYY
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies