Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2017, 04:50 AM

15,063 posts, read 6,177,347 times

Advertisements

...was held in back 2015.

"A desire to create a space where Latinos graduating from Harvard University can celebrate their accomplishments with their families in a more meaningful and personal way led a group of students to organize the first-ever Harvard Latin@ Graduation ceremony."

Students Organize First "Harvard Latino Graduation" - NBC News

--------------------------

Why wasn't an issue made out of the Latino ceremony in the same manner as the ceremony for students of black/African origin?

Old 06-02-2017, 05:40 AM

21,140 posts, read 19,722,567 times
Part of the problem is that these segregationist events are termed "graduation ceremonies" so people think they are the official, school-sanctioned, hand-out-the-diploma ceremonies. They are not. They are independent gatherings. I personally think they are stupid, whether for blacks, latinos, or white sepremicists. Your education wasn't race specific, so your graduation shouldn't be.

Old 06-02-2017, 05:46 AM

1,132 posts, read 2,124,882 times
Black separatists first, now brown separatists at Harvard.

Old 06-02-2017, 06:01 AM

17,291 posts, read 29,408,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReineDeCoeur;

--------------------------

Why wasn't an issue made out of the Latino ceremony in the same manner as the ceremony for students of black/African origin?

2015 was a world away from the fraught racial climate we have now. Pre-BLM, Pre-focus and awareness on the general state of college campus insanity that has been making national headlines and putting all of this in the forefront of the media.

Black people - not Latinos, really - spent decades (hundreds of years, really), demanding integration, end of segregation, pushing the "see my character, not my color" and decrying that "separate is not equal."

Now, I'd venture the vast majority of the country is on board with that, which is a very good thing.

BUT, things are starting to change. It's very odd that minorities are pushing separation, balkanization and division. (Compare the difference of the mainstream LGBT movement, which has pushed for MORE integration).

It's almost as if "critical race theory" produces the same conclusions and ends up in the same place as white nationalism.

Old 06-02-2017, 06:02 AM

1,132 posts, read 2,124,882 times
Oh what hypocrites.

Old 06-02-2017, 06:39 AM

16,212 posts, read 10,826,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southeasttexas View Post
Black separatists first, now brown separatists at Harvard.
There is an Asian ceremony as well.

How come you aren't mad about the Asians.

FWIW, like I mentioned in the other thread about this, a majority of colleges/universities have these sorts of ceremonies and have had them for years.

They also have LGBT ceremonies and First Generation graduations due to there being programming/departments on campuses that specifically target these populations and ensure they are supported and matriculate through the program. Many of the First Generation students are white but I've never seen anyone complain about them or Asians. Things that make you go hmmmmmm.....

Old 06-02-2017, 06:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TriMT7 View Post
2015 was a world away from the fraught racial climate we have now. Pre-BLM, Pre-focus and awareness on the general state of college campus insanity that has been making national headlines and putting all of this in the forefront of the media.

Black people - not Latinos, really - spent decades (hundreds of years, really), demanding integration, end of segregation, pushing the "see my character, not my color" and decrying that "separate is not equal."

Now, I'd venture the vast majority of the country is on board with that, which is a very good thing.

BUT, things are starting to change. It's very odd that minorities are pushing separation, balkanization and division. (Compare the difference of the mainstream LGBT movement, which has pushed for MORE integration).

It's almost as if "critical race theory" produces the same conclusions and ends up in the same place as white nationalism.
LOL on the bold. In 2015 there were a bunch of race riots in the country. That was a year after Mike Brown was shot/killed by police, which occurred after Trayvon Martin was shot/killed by Zimmerman. The riots in Ferguson were in 2014.

On the blue, IMO those words show your lack of education/understanding about the Civil Rights Movement. The CRM started immediately after the end of the Civil War, not in the 1950s/1960s. For nearly 100 years after slavery ended, blacks in America fought for "equal opportunity" and not "integration." Integration was only an issue because blacks were not given the same types of opportunities in education and public experiences as whites due to oppressive attitudes towards blacks based on a white supremacy ideology that was (and still is) pervasive in American society.

Black people by and large didn't want to be around white people because they didn't trust them. You are taking one speech, that was a generic speech given by MLK multiple times, and acting like it, by itself, represents the entirety of black history and culture when it comes to activism. You need to learn some American history and also keep up with rather current events. Blacks have always enjoyed being separate for the most part in this country but just didn't want to be shut out of opportunities. Also, as was stated in the other thread, the black students still participated in the general commencement. This graduation ceremony was just a luncheon/celebration for all the black graduates. They funded it themselves. Similar to other groups on campuses have these same ceremonies. I went to an HBCU and we had various graduation ceremonies along with general commencement.

A majority of Ivy League schools and other highly esteemed colleges/universities have these, what you call "segregated" ceremonies for over a decade, many multiple decades.

It is interesting that you state the blue in particular about Latinos when they actually did have movements and activism about the same things. So did Asian Americans who also have their own separate ceremonies. You mentioned LGBT and they also have their own ceremonies. Yet you only care about the black people. Seems to me that you are upset for no reason at all and it is telling IMO that you are only upset about black graduates and not LGBT, Latino, and Asian Americans. FWIW I find it as a compliment that you at least know about black activism, which is a core component of "black culture." We are fighters and don't shut up about stuff - something I actually love about being black. Due to that cultural tenet, we inspire other groups to also speak up when they are wronged, which was the case for Latinos, Asian Americans, and LGBTQ groups. They were inspired by black America and its activism. You seem to despise this activism. Makes me think you don't want black Americans to say anything you don't like or do anything you don't like because you don't want to hear it/see it. That is a very condescending attitude.

Old 06-02-2017, 06:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retroit View Post
Part of the problem is that these segregationist events are termed "graduation ceremonies" so people think they are the official, school-sanctioned, hand-out-the-diploma ceremonies. They are not. They are independent gatherings. I personally think they are stupid, whether for blacks, latinos, or white sepremicists. Your education wasn't race specific, so your graduation shouldn't be.
Those people evidently did not graduate from a decent college/university so are ignorant.

On the blue, those of us who have been to college know that a "ceremony" is not "commencement," which is what the official, hand-out-the-diploma event is called.

Old 06-02-2017, 06:59 AM

1,302 posts, read 683,864 times
The only issue that nobody says here is Spanish Language, hispanics are White, black Brown etc, but Spanish language and Catholic faith unite us, most of those who hate hispanics in fact hate Spanish language and Catholic mass goers.

By the way if you want to be participant of Hispanic culture you can learn spanish as hispanics participate of anglo culture by learning english....

Old 06-02-2017, 07:26 AM

24,498 posts, read 17,239,538 times
This is segregation.
What if a white student that self identified as a hispanic, black or asian wanted to march with them?
I wager they would be denied and the Left would stand behind that decision but watch out if there was a whites only march.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies