Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-11-2017, 09:38 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,198,461 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by VLWH View Post
You are correct, I saw him with Ice Cube and it was embarrassing. What a joke, Ice Cube telling him he can't use it because they own it. If Bill Maher had any real backbone he would of told him to stuff it. Simply say that he said it and did so without malice and be done with it.
If Cube told you personally that you couldn't say it and that he owns the word, I bet everything I own that you wouldn't have told him to "stuff it."

What you would've done is shake your head in agreement (even as you disagree personally), and walk away. The end. Then you would've told all your pals about what a jerk he was.

Have a nice day.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2017, 09:46 PM

28,670 posts, read 18,788,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinytrump View Post
You don't know where I have been, all I am saying for a terrible hurtful word it should not be used by anyone! In many cases they have glorified it, as I mentioned on my prev post. We learned not to call our kids stupid.. Etc, because it demeans them. So stop the use period. I do not think it's helping anyone black or otherwise. It's a rachette word.
Did it actually appear to you that I was disagreeing with you? Did you actually read what I wrote?

BTW, "rachette" is ghetto for "wretched."

Old 06-11-2017, 09:56 PM

10,031 posts, read 9,507,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jza View Post
Bill just apologized and groveled to his guests over this on his show. It was embarrassing to watch. Lost a ton of respect for Bill Maher, what a hypocrite. Also every black guest on his show this episode rode a moral high horse and he just took it like a b****, even though they were completely wrong. No one owns a word, no one dictates who can say what. If you can't mentally deal with a sound no matter the context without losing your cool, you are an idiot. "The N word..." good lord people are stupid.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
I'm not black, so I'm only guessing - but it probably takes the sting out of it by using it among themselves.

I've heard it used in different contexts. One seems to be almost a term of endearment, the second is more like 'knucklehead', and the third is when someone is mad and yelling.

When my Italian friends say, "Hey wop, where have you been?" it's said with love. But I don't want people who don't know me, or who aren't Italian, using the word.

Some of my black friends say they don't get it and would never use the word in any context. Other black friends say they use it sometimes. I've noticed they don't use it when we're together, so it's obviously reserved for times they're only with black people - perhaps so they're not sending mixed messages or because they don't want white people doing the same.

To each his own. I don't understand why we have to keep doing laps on this. It's offensive when people who aren't black say it. Don't say it and don't question black people who do.

Simple.
BS.... don't like the word, then anyone who uses it should offend you. I own it crap is just that, crap. Bill should have told ice cube to f himself along with all the misguided PC dbags.

Old 06-11-2017, 10:00 PM

Quote:
BS.... don't like the word, then anyone who uses it should offend you. I own it crap is just that, crap. Bill should have told ice cube to f himself along with all the misguided PC dbags.
LOL... again saying that someone should do what you wouldn't have done.

Old 06-12-2017, 12:18 AM

36,853 posts, read 17,363,818 times
Quote:
Then Cube would have dissed Maher on his next record...right after making a Christmas movie for kids.

Old 06-12-2017, 12:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinytrump View Post
You don't know where I have been, all I am saying for a terrible hurtful word it should not be used by anyone! In many cases they have glorified it, as I mentioned on my prev post. We learned not to call our kids stupid.. Etc, because it demeans them. So stop the use period. I do not think it's helping anyone black or otherwise. It's a rachette word.
It's not always hurtful.

Old 06-12-2017, 03:44 AM

16,956 posts, read 16,755,587 times
I wonder if he would say "House N------" if he were walking the streets of Compton?

Old 06-12-2017, 04:52 AM

12,905 posts, read 15,660,053 times
Yeah, the whole thing with Ice Cube was ridiculous.

If I was Maher, what I would have told Ice Cube was that because Ice Cube "owns" the word now and he uses it so freely, as well as others, and he's laughing and have a good, old time with his friends when he does it, it gets very hard for people who stand around and watch that to remember how derogatory the word is.

As a white person, when you witness a black person using the word, as is done today, it actually waters down what the word used to stand for. And it makes people who are too young to remember (not Maher of course), the significance of the word.

I would have argued with Ice Cube that the continued, friendly use of the word in the black community is essentially giving permission to others to use it in a casual, relaxed manner also. If you don't want it used that way, then you also need to not say it. Retire the word for goodness sake. No, Ice Cube, when you use a word freely, it belongs to the universe.

Old 06-12-2017, 05:35 AM

28,670 posts, read 18,788,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
It's not always hurtful.
I don't know anyone who'd call his grandmother, mother, or father a N----- to their faces, unless angry.

It's not a term of endearment, it's a pejorative. It can go away and black people will have lost nothing essential to our character.

Defending using n----- is like defending eating chitterlings.

And as my grandfather told me, "When you have the ham, you don't eat the chit'lin's."

Old 06-12-2017, 07:05 AM

19,637 posts, read 12,226,539 times
White male liberals have to understand their place. Bill thought he had a free pass, thought he belonged because of his far left politics but no. So he's just another clueless old white man after all. Newsflash - Maher learns he is no longer hip - just an aging out of touch white dude who needed to be schooled by the cool kids he thought looked up to him. Ouch.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies