Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-12-2017, 09:21 AM

4,279 posts, read 1,902,602 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by No_Recess View Post
It's the insanity of going around policing words and even thoughts by a set of moral guardians. Deciding who can say what, decipher inner thoughts, and decide what's offensive to people for them.

It reeks of oppression, aggression, and authoritarianism.

We already live in a 1984ish society in so many ways due to the government. The fact that private citizens support such interpersonal policing is disgusting.
we really do, and what is unfortunate is that with all of our technology, such knowledge is freely available.

I mean, this costs nothing, is freely and openly available and yet how many have read it today?

George Orwell's 1984
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2017, 09:22 AM

19,603 posts, read 12,203,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringo1 View Post
Agree with the bolded. I do believe he was sincerely sorry but devoting an entire show to his apology was a bit much, IMO.

Of course, the higher ups might have twisted his arm.

I don't think it was said with malice or racist intent ~ I think it just popped out when the other guy said 'work in the fields". Maher was being flippant, as usual.

I tend to give comedians more leeway because their whole schtick is based on being offensive! I mean Maher says some really NASTY things about a lot of people and no one blinks an eye.
I agree and Maher is sixty years old, comics used to be able to get away with much more. But how could he not have an off switch for that word in 2017. White folks cant get away with throwing that word/phrase out as he did for a laugh or otherwise. Some of the elderly with dementia I have worked with say things like that, fortunately the workers understand they can't help it.

He lost his other show because of controversial words, and that was some time ago. Things have only gotten more PC since then so he needed to eat crow for being so smug to believe he can say what he did without consequence. A comic can't just go with their first instinct like in the past, as Griffin discovered. Times changed for all of us and lefties like those two are all for limiting free speech for the rest of us.

Old 06-12-2017, 09:23 AM

270 posts, read 198,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VLWH View Post
You are correct, I saw him with Ice Cube and it was embarrassing. What a joke, Ice Cube telling him he can't use it because they own it. If Bill Maher had any real backbone he would of told him to stuff it. Simply say that he said it and did so without malice and be done with it.
We, as Black folks, cannot say "we own it" when we have put it out in the mainstream for all ears to hear as "entertainment." We cannot have it both ways. Generally speaking, nothing good ever results from the use of the N-word. It is NOT a "team of endearment"--unless of course you are a slavemaster. In reality, it is a term of debasement and it has always been used in that fashion by Blacks and whites alike. Only, the most ignorant of Black people use the "n-word" as "endearment" by using such phrases as "my ni33a."

Old 06-12-2017, 09:24 AM

39,195 posts, read 27,570,476 times
Well, he made a mistake, but he shouldn't be fired over this.

Come on now. Am I the only one who thought he didn't have any malicious intent when he used that word?

Old 06-12-2017, 09:26 AM

270 posts, read 198,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamajane View Post
white male liberals have to understand their place. Bill thought he had a free pass, thought he belonged because of his far left politics but no. So he's just another clueless old white man after all. Newsflash - maher learns he is no longer hip - just an aging out of touch white dude who needed to be schooled by the cool kids he thought looked up to him. Ouch.

bingo!

Old 06-12-2017, 09:36 AM

31,848 posts, read 17,592,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8won6 View Post
-"keeping ALL white people on edge about race"...lmao...is this some remixed version "race-baiting"...lol
-no wants your sympathy. We've dealt with enough fake liberals (oddly enough like Bill Maher) that sympathy just isn't something we need from you. If you're about equality, it shouldn't be dependent on whether or not blacks gave you a pass on the n-word or it blacks pander to you. All you're proving is that you have no clue what exactly has been going on all this time. You really think people are looking for your sympathy? Like this is some kind of talent show. We've learned a long time ago that trying to assimilate to whiteness doesn't accomplish anything. And please stop with the "our black brothers"...like yall are ever with us when it truly matters. Delusional rhetoric..."if you want a basic human right you've got to kiss our backsides more AND let us call you the n-word and maybe we'll lift a finger". This is how you sound.
Not to worry. Among all but the SJW's - the days of sympathy are through.

Old 06-12-2017, 09:36 AM

35,666 posts, read 21,025,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
Did it actually appear to you that I was disagreeing with you? Did you actually read what I wrote?

BTW, "rachette" is ghetto for "wretched."
Yes -I read and know you agree. Did not mean to counter you. And yes it is - another word used to be cool. That was my point. I have heard all many forms of communication in my job etc so as one poster put it. Can't have it both ways - it's slang, and really it has been made popular

Old 06-12-2017, 09:49 AM

19,603 posts, read 12,203,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
Well, he made a mistake, but he shouldn't be fired over this.

Come on now. Am I the only one who thought he didn't have any malicious intent when he used that word?
No not malicious, but a lot of people say things that offend others when they did not have ill intent. But he was smug to believe he could say it at all without consequence. Who the heck is he? Oh yes, he invites black people on his panel, agrees with them and also dates black women. Cube said dating black women doesn't give you special privileges.

He has no more business saying what he did than anyone, even a conservative. Funny, the white conservative guest he said it to was taken aback. The audience groaned. Der, "it was a joke", is all he could say at the time while making a smug face. Maybe they are not multi millionaires who date black women so they don't understand.

I like the show so I hope it continues, I do think he is funny and enjoy New Rules. But he is arrogant and I'm glad he had to experience the dressing down on his own show.

Old 06-12-2017, 09:55 AM

39,195 posts, read 27,570,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamajane View Post
No not malicious, but a lot of people say things that offend others when they did not have ill intent. But he was smug to believe he could say it at all without consequence. Who the heck is he? Oh yes, he invites black people on his panel, agrees with them and also dates black women. Cube said dating black women doesn't give you special privileges.

He has no more business saying what he did than anyone, even a conservative. Funny, the white conservative guest he said it to was taken aback. The audience groaned. Der, "it was a joke", is all he could say at the time while making a smug face. Maybe they are not multi millionaires who date black women so they don't understand.

I like the show so I hope it continues, I do think he is funny and enjoy New Rules. But he is arrogant and I'm glad he had to experience the dressing down on his own show.
yeah I agree with you.

I am not a Bill Maher fan, but I think he is pretty consistent. He hates all religions. LOL

I hope his show continues too.

Old 06-12-2017, 10:09 AM

4,320 posts, read 5,134,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8won6 View Post
-"keeping ALL white people on edge about race"...lmao...is this some remixed version "race-baiting"...lol
-no wants your sympathy. We've dealt with enough fake liberals (oddly enough like Bill Maher) that sympathy just isn't something we need from you. If you're about equality, it shouldn't be dependent on whether or not blacks gave you a pass on the n-word or it blacks pander to you. All you're proving is that you have no clue what exactly has been going on all this time. You really think people are looking for your sympathy? Like this is some kind of talent show. We've learned a long time ago that trying to assimilate to whiteness doesn't accomplish anything. And please stop with the "our black brothers"...like yall are ever with us when it truly matters. Delusional rhetoric..."if you want a basic human right you've got to kiss our backsides more AND let us call you the n-word and maybe we'll lift a finger". This is how you sound.
Feel better after that senseless rant? So if you don't want sympathy then you are OK with: no affirmative action, fewer civil rights, less charitable donations, worse public housing, fewer or shorter entitlements, etc.

If you want to stay down, stay down, if you want to compete in life and improve race relations, stop being a sensitive candy a$$.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies