Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2017, 08:22 AM

3,739 posts, read 4,635,616 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minethatbird View Post
Well there lies part of the problem. As long as employers won't hire people then they are, in effect, unemployable.
Yet those types of employers are always telling people to "get a job"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2017, 09:31 AM

19,803 posts, read 9,362,001 times
Our kids are gone, and our household income is in the six figures, yet we do not have cable (or any kind of television except for DVDs) and our cellphone bill -- just a no frills Jitterbug -- is about $45 a month. Thus, although we can well afford it, we are spending about $350 less that that poor family for television entertainment and cellphone. In short, it is very difficult for me to feel sorry for that family. Perhaps the government should take over the budget and bill-paying for poor families? But, no, of course not -- that would be a violation of their freedom to live as they choose.

And yet so many people are against government-paid voluntary birth control! The logic of that just escapes me.

Old 06-28-2017, 09:38 AM

8,893 posts, read 5,371,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whocares811 View Post

And yet so many people are against government-paid voluntary birth control! The logic of that just escapes me.
What makes you think the people in this story would use the government-paid voluntary birth control? These people seemed most interested in getting all the money they could out of the kids.

Old 06-28-2017, 09:40 AM

8,893 posts, read 5,371,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hopefulone View Post
Yet those types of employers are always telling people to "get a job"
Is there some way to get those employers to either put up or shut up? I wonder .....

Old 06-28-2017, 09:56 AM

19,803 posts, read 9,362,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minethatbird View Post
What makes you think the people in this story would use the government-paid voluntary birth control? These people seemed most interested in getting all the money they could out of the kids.
Well, you have a point! However, in that case, it would not cost taxpayers anything extra.

But if in some burst of logical thinking, a woman did decide to do the responsible thing, why shouldn't the government encourage her in this? Preventing an unwanted birth is MUCH cheaper than supporting an unwanted child for 18 years. Although, granted, the kids in the story probably were wanted, although very possibly not for what most people would consider the best of reasons.

Old 06-28-2017, 10:08 AM

20,955 posts, read 8,674,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whocares811 View Post
Our kids are gone, and our household income is in the six figures, yet we do not have cable (or any kind of television except for DVDs) and our cellphone bill -- just a no frills Jitterbug -- is about $45 a month. Thus, although we can well afford it, we are spending about $350 less that that poor family for television entertainment and cellphone. In short, it is very difficult for me to feel sorry for that family. Perhaps the government should take over the budget and bill-paying for poor families? But, no, of course not -- that would be a violation of their freedom to live as they choose.

The last line of your post says it all.

Anyone who says people - all people - have the "right" to reproduce without any standards or rules placed upon them by society (government, taxpayers) just doesn't get it.

And anyone who believes this - has lost their right to debate ANY points regarding how to achieve a decent society and civilization.

It is so basic - yet you will find the majority of Americans agreeing that it's the decision of the family.

People act as if we need LESS government. Not true. We need more. As you mention, we need government to limit welfare to people who spend it on high speed internet and more and more cell phones.

I think this "freedom" to reproduce is driven by three tendencies....
1. Religion (Amish, Orthodox Jews, Fundy Christians and Muslims tend to have more kids).
2. Corporate based culture and government - without population increases, new customers and markets are smaller.
3. The idea of "each man being an island" and the freedom to breed being some kind of promise.

The truth of the matter is quite simple - many of the people having too many children do not have - and will never have - the means or ability to finance them.

Once again we have the GOP on the wrong side of reason and logic....even believing against their own wishes. One of their main platforms is "do away with family planning, sex education, etc.) - then they complain about welfare? Silly.

Contrary to popular belief, government is not steering this country. It's the lack of government that is allowing it to turn into a debt ridden and overpopulated opiate den of "freedom".

Old 06-28-2017, 10:15 AM

39,228 posts, read 27,603,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Unicorn View Post
And yet here I am with a DH that has multiple health issues, a stroke and short term memory issues and I'm fighting to get him disability! A man who worked since he was 18... 31 years of working and yet he can't get help from the money he paid in....

Ugh!
It looks like there are people who really need disability benefits, (??) like this poster. Maybe Disability Insurance Attorney is the answer, you may not be required to pay any attorney fees upfront or at all (unless you win). .. worth looking into..

Her husband worked 30 years and now he couldn't work. He deserves to receive disability benefit.

Last edited by lilyflower3191981; 06-28-2017 at 11:40 AM..

Old 06-28-2017, 11:11 AM

18,158 posts, read 15,628,539 times
Hmmmm. I had to go on SSDI three years ago because of a chronic bone disease. I'm not going to be going back to work ever again. I've been in and out of the hospital so much since this condition came on my potential for lost time is enough to keep me from working. Let alone the symptoms of the main condition, and the treatment for it has caused other chronic issues as well.

It took a year to get approved for the benefits, and I had worked my whole life paying into the program. Getting approved would have taken longer but I became life threatening emergent and the team of doctor treating me all wrote letters on my behalf that were submitted to SS. I see stories like this and I freely admit they frost me. I see people who get disability benefits all the time who hardly worked in their lives and sailed right through the process. I worked my whole life with a disability and ran myself into the ground and had to fight tooth and nail for the benefits I had more than paid my fair share for.

What I get isn't much, but it keeps me alive. It's just me so I make it work. I have to have a cell, (50 bucks a month) in case something happens away from home and I need emergency help. Rent chews up the Lions share of expenses but I have enough left over to afford a couple amenities like TV and internet. These people got credit for furniture? Lol, credit is a distant memory for me.

Pets? Ummm..no. And they have a passel of kids all with special needs? The woman doesn't look like she's missing any meals either. My food budget allows me to eat healthy, and I do, but I'm not packing on weight. It's not like I live on fast food. Lots of fresh stuff mostly, and my medical issues don't appreciate garbage food. I live very simple. I have hobbies the means for which I aquired long ago when I was working, (though I've had to sell off a lot of stuff ) and I take care of myself well enough. I'm hardly bedridden and function pretty highly. That I can even walk unaided amazes my doctors. I do push myself to be as strong as possible. My leg will not improve but I don't let the rest of me just crumble.

There are a LOT of people getting disability who don't truly either need or deserve it. I know this all to well. And this family does not impress me. People who truly both need and deserve it are passed over for people like this. People who have paid into the program all their lives who are now sick or injured and can no longer work. And their money is going to people like this. It's enough to tick off the Pope on Easter Sunday.

Old 06-28-2017, 11:23 AM

39,228 posts, read 27,603,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NVplumber View Post
Hmmmm. I had to go on SSDI three years ago because of a chronic bone disease. I'm not going to be going back to work ever again. I've been in and out of the hospital so much since this condition came on my potential for lost time is enough to keep me from working. Let alone the symptoms of the main condition, and the treatment for it has caused other chronic issues as well.

It took a year to get approved for the benefits, and I had worked my whole life paying into the program. Getting approved would have taken longer but I became life threatening emergent and the team of doctor treating me all wrote letters on my behalf that were submitted to SS. I see stories like this and I freely admit they frost me. I see people who get disability benefits all the time who hardly worked in their lives and sailed right through the process. I worked my whole life with a disability and ran myself into the ground and had to fight tooth and nail for the benefits I had more than paid my fair share for.

What I get isn't much, but it keeps me alive. It's just me so I make it work. I have to have a cell, (50 bucks a month) in case something happens away from home and I need emergency help. Rent chews up the Lions share of expenses but I have enough left over to afford a couple amenities like TV and internet. These people got credit for furniture? Lol, credit is a distant memory for me.

Pets? Ummm..no. And they have a passel of kids all with special needs? The woman doesn't look like she's missing any meals either. My food budget allows me to eat healthy, and I do, but I'm not packing on weight. It's not like I live on fast food. Lots of fresh stuff mostly, and my medical issues don't appreciate garbage food. I live very simple. I have hobbies the means for which I aquired long ago when I was working, (though I've had to sell off a lot of stuff ) and I take care of myself well enough. I'm hardly bedridden and function pretty highly. That I can even walk unaided amazes my doctors. I do push myself to be as strong as possible. My leg will not improve but I don't let the rest of me just crumble.

There are a LOT of people getting disability who don't truly either need or deserve it. I know this all to well. And this family does not impress me. People who truly both need and deserve it are passed over for people like this. People who have paid into the program all their lives who are now sick or injured and can no longer work. And their money is going to people like this. It's enough to tick off the Pope on Easter Sunday.
You are an honorable man.

Old 06-28-2017, 12:03 PM

20,955 posts, read 8,674,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NVplumber View Post
As I said, the problem is not too much gubment (state or fed) - it's too little.

Our system puts some kind of Godly (and Bankers) trust in doctors. Heck, I've heard of cases where a doc put a lot of his own relatives on disability - why not? It doesn't cost him a dime.

Remember, docs are largely responsible for the opiate crisis. Another doc I know of became homeless and a drug addict. The state board threw him out for 2 years...during which he made 100's of thousands as an "expert witness" for sleazy lawyers. Now he's back....well, I won't get into the stories of how many docs use their own drugs (you can find some stats on that as well as doctor suicides, etc.)....

It's not much different than anything else gubment enforces. When the IRS goes after a subset of tax cheats - even when they are not big fish - it sends a warning to others to pay up.

I believe in feeding these people and providing basic medical care. But that's about it...heck, my bro has a $10 a month un-smart phone and he worked 20 years at AT&T and Lucent.

In the end it's individual morals and ethics (or lack thereof) which causes this stuff - lack of education as to what responsibility even is. Although it would not seem the gubments place to have to teach such basics, it may be that certain populations need to be force fed. We are fooling ourselves. This stuff is not going to just go away by itself.

On the other hand, the real waste is still - the Security State and the Medical Complexes. We can always point to stories like this and think this is where all our money is going. But that is not really the case since we waste well over a trillion per year (extra) on medicine and security.

Basically, America has become "take what you can"...and the slicked down handsome ex-General who buys his yachts and beachfront palaces due to the Security State might not anger you as much as a downtrodden trailer trash family....but is taking MUCH more from your pockets.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies