Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2017, 09:48 AM

11,027 posts, read 6,507,044 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldhag1 View Post
If they are allegedly incapable of working, which is supposed to be a requirement of SSI, how would that change multigenerational disability payments?
I see Scooby's point in that many "wobbler" disabled folks could possibly work if the pay was better than what they receive on disability. If given the choice between menial minimum wage work or no work plus a disability check, most will choose the latter.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2017, 09:58 AM

41,959 posts, read 75,192,887 times
What a sad story, on so many different levels. While it's hard to fault the family for surviving the best way they know how, you wonder what supports are available to them in their rural community, and if they're actually taking the advice and help of the supports they do have.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringo1 View Post
They are perfectly capable of working a retail or fast food job.
Perhaps, but -- the mother has a shoulder injury, although the article doesn't say how severe; anything that requires repetitive motion, like working a cash register or stocking shelves could aggravate that injury, and then she'd be out of a job. The daughter has multiple diagnoses: scoliosis, which can make it painful to sit or stand for very long, and bipolar disorder and Down Syndrome. Not likely an employer is going to be too forgiving about that combination. In bigger cities there are organizations that train and hire people with mental illnesses and/or developmental disabilities, but these folks may not have access to those types of services.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
Wait until your dog dies and your car breaks down in the same week. Go visit a psychologist when you're at your worst feeling and they will label you with something. Then you, too, can board that "disability"train all the way to a monthly government check.
You seem to have a simplistic view of what it takes to have a mental health disability proven. Try going through it sometime with a family member and get back to us.

Last edited by Ohiogirl81; 06-03-2017 at 10:13 AM..

Old 06-03-2017, 09:59 AM

33,571 posts, read 18,161,091 times
When parenting skills are lacking and some kids are not brought up, they are drug up, with no boundaries, no goals in life, no direction. What scared me was the little girl jumping from the dresser to the bed.

When I was bought up, we had to sit and behave or else. We were not brought anywhere unless we proved we could behave . We were taught manners, and we had to say thank you and show courtesy.

They know what they are taught , what is accepted. Sad that they think that disability is their way to live. Yet they don't see any other road to take.

It must be very depressing. Many towns who have no jobs are like this. I have seen many poor people who tell me how that last factory closed and the whole town was on welfare. They wanted to work , have a better life but they were stuck with a welfare check and nothing else.

Old 06-03-2017, 10:03 AM

26,654 posts, read 28,682,916 times
Sad and infuriating. Shall we just kick the South out of the country?

I think the kids would be better off in an orphanage. At least they would get real food, not MacDonald's (could be one of the reasons they seem to have so many problems like autism, ADHD, other mental disorders--the kids need to eat actual food.)

In an orphanage maybe they'd be shown how to live, do chores, stay neat and clean, take care of themselves, take care of their room. Maybe a foster home if it's a good foster home. But I think they need to be taken away from the parents.

Of course this sounds cruel but the life they're living is cruel.

Old 06-03-2017, 10:27 AM

51,653 posts, read 25,819,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nor Cal Wahine View Post
I think a proper start would be mandatory life skills education for people like this. In exchange for those monthly checks, you will attend classroom study intended to improve life skills (nutrition, household budgeting, health, and basic home maintenance skills). And instead of cash handouts, maybe social workers need to direct-pay monthly bills for these folks so they are left with only a small stipend of cash, and only AFTER all their necessary monthly obligations are met. A house full of fresh healthful food and the skills to prepare it are a MUCH more necessary part of life than a trailer full of rent-to-own furniture.
I think you may be on to something.

There are thousands of people who could be self-supporting with some vocational counseling, training and support. We need a nationwide vocational rehabilitation program, to help not only those on disability but those hanging by a thread.

Many were not serious in school, but with the benefit of a few years' experience (and the prospect of poverty) may find their interest in education rekindled.

We should expand our career testing services to allow anyone to get help figuring out what they're good at, what they're interested in, what the job prospects are in those areas... Then support them in getting entry level jobs.

Many are afraid to lose their disability benefits because they will lose their insurance. Medicare-for-all solves that.

Old 06-03-2017, 10:29 AM

33,571 posts, read 18,161,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post

I think the kids would be better off in an orphanage. At least they would get real food, not MacDonald's (could be one of the reasons they seem to have so many problems like autism, ADHD, other mental disorders--the kids need to eat actual food.)

In an orphanage maybe they'd be shown how to live, do chores, stay neat and clean, take care of themselves, take care of their room. Maybe a foster home if it's a good foster home. But I think they need to be taken away from the parents.

No order in this home. The kids are not taught basic living skills , have no way to better themselves, have no way to build their self esteem and value to become resourceful. I don't think they know how because they don't see it. No good role models , no paths to a successful life. They are surrounded by poverty and failure. This is the only path they see and they have settled into it as their only way to survive. Terrible and I bet their are many more just like this , many more.

When there is poverty all around, there is no way to make any money. No one has any, no work, the main streets all look like ghost towns and the homes all look run down.

I have been in many areas traveling and I have seen trailers that should have been condemned they were in such bad shape. Neighborhoods that were in such disrepair I couldn't believe my eyes. Third world country standards .

I know that spirit in a person can drive them to do better. Some just don't have any.

I hate poverty , that is what drives me to work and create a better life. I was poor, but my family did not want to appear poor so we worked hard not to appear poor and poverty disappeared. Without work there is no way out of poverty.

Old 06-03-2017, 10:34 AM

3,106 posts, read 1,770,051 times
People in that mindset actually do want their kids to be disabled. My daughter-in-law works in a school system that has a lot of this type family. You can't get the parents to come in for a parent-teacher conference or talk to a teacher over the phone about their kid, but they will show up with papers in hand that they want the teachers to sign attesting to the kid being disabled.

Old 06-03-2017, 10:35 AM

33,942 posts, read 22,527,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
What a sad story, on so many different levels. While it's hard to fault the family for surviving the best way they know how, you wonder what supports are available to them in their rural community, and if they're actually taking the advice and help of the supports they do have.

Perhaps, but -- the mother has a shoulder injury, although the article doesn't say how severe; anything that requires repetitive motion, like working a cash register or stocking shelves could aggravate that injury, and then she'd be out of a job. The daughter has multiple diagnoses: scoliosis, which can make it painful to sit or stand for very long, and bipolar disorder and Down Syndrome. Not likely an employer is going to be too forgiving about that combination. In bigger cities there are organizations that train and hire people with mental illnesses and/or developmental disabilities, but these folks may not have access to those types of services.

You seem to have a simplistic view of what it takes to have a mental health disability proven. Try going through it sometime with a family member and get back to us.
Come on. How many people are currently working today with a variety of injuries? Carpal tunnel; knee injuries, shoulder injuries, depression, anxiety, etc.

Down syndrome is another story - though plenty of people with Downs are also employed .

Stop making excuses.

I had two surgeries on my wrist and elbow for carpal and radial tunnel. But I KNEW I had to go back to work (which involves a lot of typing and writing) so I did. I worked with pain but I worked.

Again, i worked with these families day and and day out. I'm as liberal as they come ~ but collecting disability and having your kids wait at the pill mill should NOT be a family enterprise. The very worst of it is - they WANT their kids to be disabled in order to collect a paycheck.

Massive family dysfunction and those kids won't have a chance.

Old 06-03-2017, 10:50 AM

3,615 posts, read 2,330,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post

lol what? This story was in missouri and ssi and ssd recipients are everywhere, places like Massachusetts, Rhode island, Maine, etc have a higher percentage of people in its state receiving ssi than Missouri

An enormous amount of "disabled" workers all over the country it seems

SSI Beneficiaries with Disabilities as a Percent of Population | The Henry J. Kaiser Family Foundation

https://www.ssa.gov/policy/docs/stat...5/table02.html

Old 06-03-2017, 10:55 AM

51,653 posts, read 25,819,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Biker53 View Post
People in that mindset actually do want their kids to be disabled. My daughter-in-law works in a school system that has a lot of this type family. You can't get the parents to come in for a parent-teacher conference or talk to a teacher over the phone about their kid, but they will show up with papers in hand that they want the teachers to sign attesting to the kid being disabled.
Sad, but true.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies