Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2017, 01:10 PM

378 posts, read 246,109 times

Advertisements

Here we go again...if we just hadn't had enough with lawsuits against a TV company, this one is reminding me so much of the Shulman case in the early 90s.

ABC News Braces for $5.7 Billion "Pink Slime" Trial in the Heart of Trump Country | Hollywood Reporter
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2017, 01:26 PM

34,619 posts, read 21,615,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by danderson400 View Post
Here we go again...if we just hadn't had enough with lawsuits against a TV company, this one is reminding me so much of the Shulman case in the early 90s.

ABC News Braces for $5.7 Billion "Pink Slime" Trial in the Heart of Trump Country | Hollywood Reporter
ABC deserves to get hammered on this. It's time to pay the piper.

They chose to run with a "summer of the shark" story to get ratings regardless of the effect or presenting the facts.

I'm going to laugh when they are hit with a billion dollar judgement.

Old 06-03-2017, 01:36 PM

4,996 posts, read 2,445,058 times
Pink Slime sounds nasty...but should a news organization trumpet that fact? At root is the issue..is it unhealthy or unsafe?

If it is not..than ABC is in big trouble...I found it interesting to note..that if the entire $5.7B was awarded, it would take Disney a whole 9 months of revenue to pay it off.

Last edited by EvilEyeFleegle; 06-03-2017 at 01:46 PM..

Old 06-03-2017, 01:40 PM

46,961 posts, read 25,990,037 times
First Amendment, who needs that? Not the food and agriculture industry, they hate it when someone shows what takes place inside their factories. Google "ag-gag" laws if you want a nice example of money overruling the public's right to be told what goes in their food.

Old 06-03-2017, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilEyeFleegle View Post
Pink Slime is nasty...but should a news organization trumpet that fact? At root is the issue..is it unhealthy or unsafe?

If it is not..than ABC is in big trouble...I found it interesting to note..that if the entire $5.7B was awarded, it would take Disney a whole 9 months of revenue to pay it off.
What exactly is nasty about it?

Basically, all they are doing is using a centrifuge to seperate the meat from the fat on trimmings. The process ends up with some of the better tasting meat that just looks weird due to it being little bits that mush together in the process. Out of all additives to meat, "pink slime" would be the best because it's actually meat.

Old 06-03-2017, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
First Amendment, who needs that? Not the food and agriculture industry, they hate it when someone shows what takes place inside their factories. Google "ag-gag" laws if you want a nice example of money overruling the public's right to be told what goes in their food.
Freedom of speech doesn't allow you to do things like slander or libel.

ABC purposely misled people hoping to get the "oh that's gross" ratings.

It's up to the jury to decide if they went too far.

Old 06-03-2017, 01:45 PM

46,961 posts, read 25,990,037 times
Quote:
Pink Slime is nasty...but should a news organization trumpet that fact?
"Nasty" is an opinion, and those are 100% protected under the First. Incidentally, Beef Inc. feels that even using the words "pink slime" damages their brand, so I suggest you lawyer up.

Quote:
At root is the issue..is it unhealthy or unsafe?
Did the reporting claim it was unhealthy or unsafe? Not in so many words, obviously, since the plaintiff argues that "reasonable viewers were left with the impression" - another way of saying that the case is circumstantial.

Old 06-03-2017, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
What exactly is nasty about it?

Basically, all they are doing is using a centrifuge to seperate the meat from the fat on trimmings. The process ends up with some of the better tasting meat that just looks weird due to it being little bits that mush together in the process. Out of all additives to meat, "pink slime" would be the best because it's actually meat.
Actually..that was my bad..I left out the word 'sounds' as in ...Pink Slime sounds nasty...I guess my unconscious was weighing in..Pink slime***yuck***

Old 06-03-2017, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
"Nasty" is an opinion, and those are 100% protected under the First. Incidentally, Beef Inc. feels that even using the words "pink slime" damages their brand, so I suggest you lawyer up.

Did the reporting claim it was unhealthy or unsafe? Not in so many words, obviously, since the plaintiff argues that "reasonable viewers were left with the impression" - another way of saying that the case is
circumstantial.

Hmmm...I've fixed my post..as I meant to say sounds nasty..but even so...if an opinion is given publicly--and it is unfounded..and material damages result..then there are grounds for suit.

Actually, the whole 'pink slime' thing is their point and main argument --that ABC damaged their brand via its position as a news organization.

Libel and slander don't have to be black and white...impressions count.

Old 06-03-2017, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Actually..that was my bad..I left out the word 'sounds' as in ...Pink Slime sounds nasty...I guess my unconscious was weighing in..Pink slime***yuck***
I agree, it does sound nasty.

It would be an interesting trial on which to be a juror.

I remember seeing the ABC report on it and was disgusted. It disgusted me to the point where jumped on the web to learn more about it. At that point, I learned that other than looking a bit funky, I would have no issue with it being blended into hamburger meat I bought. I felt that I was deceived by the ABC report.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies