Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2017, 02:35 PM
509 509 started this thread

6,321 posts, read 7,046,591 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wambatown81 View Post
Imagine the cost and legalities and inconvenience involved in such an undertaking. We have a thousand more pressing matters to spend money on. And after its all done with, people will find that theres still parts of their new state that have little in common with the other side of the state and "don't belong". People have also grown attached to the histories behind each state. Its fun to look at the redrawn maps but its not a realistic project.
I am not sure I agree that there are more pressing issues.

For example, Washington state has tried to stop: the municipal owned fiber optic system in counties in eastern Washington, a heart transplant center in Spokane, Washington State University offering a medical school in Spokane and a host of others, but you get the drift.

Now the interesting part...the first two. The municipal broadband systems and heart transplant center had NO STATE FUNDING ATTACHED. The special interest corporations in western Washington wanted to kill the projects.

So you can see the frustration of local residents. It was horrible to live in the east half of Washington state for the eight years of the Obama Administration coupled with interference from Washington state government based out of western Washington.

I can understand the frustration of liberals with Trump. The shoe is on the other foot now. Rather than gloat we need to find a effective system of government. Fortunately, the Constitution is a creature of the states. It will survive.

But the states themselves, need to be re-invented to serve the people. People in eastern Washington are fine with most Federal programs (they were very important to its development) and local government which provides most of the day to day services. It is the state government that is viewed as a obstructionist force.

And....it was similar in other states I have lived in....however, eastern Washington is the worse case of interference into local affairs by state government.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2017, 02:36 PM

34,619 posts, read 21,615,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seacove View Post
I don't understand - shouldn't Trump supporters want this? I definitely do. Isn't it time Trump supporters gained their independence from urban areas? Urban areas can shop globally and rural areas can learn to compete without blue state money! This is a DREAM of a situation. Make rural areas support themselves, let blue areas establish environmental and health policies that keep their air, water and food safe, this is an excellent proposal. It's time to get rural areas out of our wallets!
I'm good with it. You can import as many illegals and refugees as you want. You can tax as many industries and jobs into moving overseas as you'd like.

If you want to be completely dependent upon foreign food and energy, just wait until that is used as a weapon against you.

"Hmmm, you're going to go after us for patent infringement, enjoy no food shipments."

I do find it entertaining how you think office jobs are so secure. When it comes down to it, food and energy are the most critical commodities there are. Social media loses its importance when a stomach growls.

Old 06-03-2017, 02:38 PM

41,479 posts, read 59,783,759 times
I believe a smart person would never interfere when their enemy is standing on their own dick.

I watch and I wait.

30,419 posts, read 20,306,967 times
This takes the prize for the dumbest question of the week on C-D!

21,989 posts, read 15,713,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 509 View Post
I am not sure I agree that there are more pressing issues.

For example, Washington state has tried to stop: the municipal owned fiber optic system in counties in eastern Washington, a heart transplant center in Spokane, Washington State University offering a medical school in Spokane and a host of others, but you get the drift.

Now the interesting part...the first two. The municipal broadband systems and heart transplant center had NO STATE FUNDING ATTACHED. The special interest corporations in western Washington wanted to kill the projects.

So you can see the frustration of local residents. It was horrible to live in the east half of Washington state for the eight years of the Obama Administration coupled with interference from Washington state government based out of western Washington.

I can understand the frustration of liberals with Trump. The shoe is on the other foot now. Rather than gloat we need to find a effective system of government. Fortunately, the Constitution is a creature of the states. It will survive.

But the states themselves, need to be re-invented to serve the people. People in eastern Washington are fine with most Federal programs (they were very important to its development) and local government which provides most of the day to day services. It is the state government that is viewed as a obstructionist force.

And....it was similar in other states I have lived in....however, eastern Washington is the worse case of interference into local affairs by state government.
Totally agree with you. I would be perfectly happy with Eastern Washington splitting off as long as they weren't taking Western Washington money. As it is, one county in Western Washington supplies almost half of the state funding but gets only 25% of the spending. Eastern Washington could split off and become self-supporting. If Western Washington wanted to buy their goods, they could compete. No resentment, no anger, it could be an amicable divorce.

Old 06-03-2017, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Totally agree with you. I would be perfectly happy with Eastern Washington splitting off as long as they weren't taking Western Washington money. As it is, one county in Western Washington supplies almost half of the state funding but gets only 25% of the spending. Eastern Washington could split off and become self-supporting. If Western Washington wanted to buy their goods, they could compete. No resentment, no anger, it could be an amicable divorce.
It would be a amicable divorce.

When we condemned and took over Rock Island Dam from Puget Power it took only a few years for them to start buying electricity from Chelan County. But the County Commissioners asked " we want electrical service to rural areas in Chelan County"....and their answer was in your dreams. So they condemned the dam and took it over under the Public Power Act.

But Puget Sound ratepayers paid for our municipal fiber system, once we got past the Governor from western Washington trying to stop it!!!

So it is a win-win. That is what we are looking for in redrawing state boundaries.

Old 06-03-2017, 02:45 PM

800 posts, read 508,600 times
Quote:
Perhaps both the eastern half of WA and eastern half of OR can both become part of Idaho. It could solve some of their local issues, and as a plus it would certainly help out the red electoral votes

Old 06-03-2017, 02:46 PM

26,143 posts, read 19,841,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retroit
Sounds good in theory, but the political environment is enough of a mess as it is.
Sounds quite good.... How do we get the ball rolling?

Old 06-03-2017, 02:49 PM

245 posts, read 132,677 times
Quote:
I support the breaking away - so don't misunderstand. But if the states could be independent, I would have no problem with red states implementing their own policies as long as they were self-funding. And that any red state refugee understood they would have to immigrate to a blue state the same way a foreigner would. No getting sick and running to a blue state for health care.

LOL by the same standard blue states hold them to now? so like CA you'd be happy with Mexico just unleashing the rest on you? people that can't read or write some can't speak either english or spanish? That'll work.

Old 06-03-2017, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajdavenport View Post
LOL by the same standard blue states hold them to now? so like CA you'd be happy with Mexico just unleashing the rest on you? people that can't read or write some can't speak either english or spanish? That'll work.
So we have about 1/3 Mexican immigrants and 1/3 western Washington immigrants in Chelan County.

Can we keep the Mexican immigrants and send back the 206'ers?? They are better workers and citizens.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies