Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-05-2017, 12:30 PM

5,722 posts, read 5,801,198 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gladhands View Post
I'm claiming that disability fraud is rampant because wages are low, welfare is hard to get and we don't have universal basic income
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
People steal because the govt doesnt steal enough? Interesting theory

If someone was a blue collar worker making 70k a year and they screwed up their back... yup they'll most likely get more on disability than by going back to work. So yeah it's definitely wage related.

The only thing the govt could really do is force them to get some sort of training for office keyboard warrior type work and possibly have them only receive a percentage of supplemental disability income.

imo there are some people abusing it that should be forced to work at least part time or they lose their benefits. I grew up with a couple of complete fat slobs that aren't even very old I'm pretty sure they are abusing it. There is "some" type of work they could be doing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2017, 12:47 PM

42,850 posts, read 26,285,621 times
Quote:
I'm claiming that disability fraud is rampant because wages are low, welfare is hard to get and we don't have universal basic income
It's harder to get SSDI than it is to get welfare, only one third of applicants are approved and the approval process can take two years. You need to be able to convince Social Security that your disability meets their criteria And that almost always depends upon evaluation by independent examiners, so you don't get SSDI by saying your back hurts or having your own doctor write you a note.

And where is the 'rampant fraud'? The former SS Commissioner claims the fraud rate is less than 1%

I agree that a universal income would save money, administrative costs and if done correctly actually encourage people to work but I don't think that is going to happen in my lifetime.

Old 06-05-2017, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderlust76 View Post
If someone was a blue collar worker making 70k a year and they screwed up their back... yup they'll most likely get more on disability than by going back to work. So yeah it's definitely wage related.

The only thing the govt could really do is force them to get some sort of training for office keyboard warrior type work and possibly have them only receive a percentage of supplemental disability income.

imo there are some people abusing it that should be forced to work at least part time or they lose their benefits. I grew up with a couple of complete fat slobs that aren't even very old I'm pretty sure they are abusing it. There is "some" type of work they could be doing.
The point of SSDI is that you are unable to support yourself through work due to a disability, if you can work part time on a regular basis why should you be on SSDI at all? As far as requiring workers to retrain, SS uses age grids If you are a young worker you will have to prove you can't do any gainful work, even jobs you are not trained for or you will be denied. If you are 55 you most likely will receive disability without being expected to re train for another occupation.

Old 06-05-2017, 01:06 PM

5,722 posts, read 5,801,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
The point of SSDI is that you are unable to support yourself through work due to a disability, if you can work part time on a regular basis why should you be on SSDI at all? As far as requiring workers to retrain, SS uses age grids If you are a young worker you will have to prove you can't do any gainful work, even jobs you are not trained for or you will be denied. If you are 55 you most likely will receive disability without being expected to re train for another occupation.
I'm saying it needs reformed with more grey areas and categories or distinctions. 55 isn't old make them get off of their butts and go work at the Hallmark gift shop.

With certain physical or mental disabilities it's possible someone could work part time but not full time.

I find it hard to believe only 1 percent of people are abusing it.

Old 06-05-2017, 01:18 PM

19,642 posts, read 12,231,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderlust76 View Post
I'm saying it needs reformed with more grey areas and categories or distinctions. 55 isn't old make them get off of their butts and go work at the Hallmark gift shop.

With certain physical or mental disabilities it's possible someone could work part time but not full time.

I find it hard to believe only 1 percent of people are abusing it.
Sorry but age is a consideration when determining disability status, for good reason. Further, most of them have worked many years before becoming disabled, as few younger people were on disability in prior decades compared to now. Attention should be paid to people between 18-40 claiming permanent disability.

I can't even fathom why babies and children can "pull a check", as the say, maybe we should do something about that. They would not be working if they were not disabled so why should they get a disability check?

Old 06-05-2017, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamajane View Post
Sorry but age is a consideration when determining disability status, for good reason. Further, most of them have worked many years before becoming disabled, as few younger people were on disability in prior decades compared to now. Attention should be paid to people between 18-40 claiming permanent disability.
as I said, younger workers are almost always denied unless they can't do any work at all. friend of mine's son applied for SSDI after he had been in a bad accident and had a number of physical limitations, his prior job had been working as a carpenter's helper. He was denied SSDI, he appealed & it ultimately went before a judge. The judge said "I am denying your claim, in my opinion you could get a job folding clothes at the Gap" he objected and said that there weren't any jobs like that available, the judge said "I don't care, there's a job like that somewhere and I've decided you can do it"
Quote:
I can't even fathom why babies and children can "pull a check", as the say, maybe we should do something about that. They would not be working if they were not disabled so why should they get a disability check?
Under SSI a child can be found disabled and given SSI (it's hard to get) if the parent's income is low enough https://www.ssa.gov/ssi/text-child-ussi.htm SSI has nothing to do with working, you can apply for SSI without ever having worked a day in your life.

Old 06-05-2017, 01:33 PM

36,539 posts, read 30,871,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camaro5 View Post
So what does being on disability have to do with Donald Trump? He didn't put them in that situation and they probably have been on it through several presidents.
Quote:

For real. I cant figure that one out either. Kids getting disability checks for ADHD. I once believed disability was for folks who could NO LONGER work due to some medical condition. If one has never worked how can one be disabled to work.

Old 06-05-2017, 01:43 PM

8,090 posts, read 6,966,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
For real. I cant figure that one out either. Kids getting disability checks for ADHD. I once believed disability was for folks who could NO LONGER work due to some medical condition. If one has never worked how can one be disabled to work.
Probably because disabled children are costly. It's not uncommon for parents to under-administer meds, so kids remain symptomatic enough to receive benefits.

Old 06-05-2017, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
as I said, younger workers are almost always denied unless they can't do any work at all. friend of mine's son applied for SSDI after he had been in a bad accident and had a number of physical limitations, his prior job had been working as a carpenter's helper. He was denied SSDI, he appealed & it ultimately went before a judge. The judge said "I am denying your claim, in my opinion you could get a job folding clothes at the Gap" he objected and said that there weren't any jobs like that available, the judge said "I don't care, there's a job like that somewhere and I've decided you can do it"
I understand from those who have disability that it is not easy. Normally one is denied several times and it takes a couple years to push it thru. But I know a couple people on it who very well could work. One is a back injury but the guy golfs and does handy man construction work for extra cash. The other, two actually, get a "crazy check".

Old 06-05-2017, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Probably because disabled children are costly. It's not uncommon for parents to under-administer meds, so kids remain symptomatic enough to receive benefits.
Yeah, all kids are costly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies