Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2017, 11:30 AM

11,027 posts, read 6,504,883 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilEyeFleegle View Post
LoL..forgive my preoccupation with grammatical nuance and spelling.

hehehe..another edit...Perhaps you'd like to respond to the substance of this thread..some rebuttal of my initial premise, perhaps?
I do not find any substance to this thread. I do not mean that as an insult to you at all - I genuinely do not - but your premise is faulty from the get-go because you first identify this dickweed as alt-right, and then imply that what you are expressing is what many people are feeling.

My only rebuttal to that is that you are wrong to make such an assumption of this man's political leanings and that people gullible enough to join in unity behind that assumption are also wrong.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2017, 11:32 AM

4,996 posts, read 2,444,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by functionofx View Post
Lets go over this. The suspect is a registered Democrat, and Bernie supporter. Yet you think he represents conservatives? You think many people believe this. Look it up.

Portland Stabber Media Keep Painting As "White Supremacist" Trump Supporter Was Raging Progressive - Wanted To Kill Trump Supporters

*sigh* No...I do not think he represents conservatives..as I've said a number of times now...as your post points out..I do think that Trump supporters are being tarred with the same brush.

There is a reason for that..and I think it goes beyond media bias--If you care to re-read my posts in this thread. I hope I've explained it.

Old 06-04-2017, 11:36 AM

15,706 posts, read 11,771,287 times
Quote:
Huh? I think you misinterpret---not my take on Trump supporters--or Republicans in general.

But more a cautionary tale---that this is the face of the Alt/Right--for many--and for better or worse.

Perhaps if enough people on the Right decried these sorts of ideals--that would change.

Instead, I see many tacitly embracing people just like this.

I would put out..that the same mental defect that allowed this person to commit a horrific crime..is the same mental defect that motivates many Jihadists.
A huge chunk of Trump's base are Nazis and White Supremacists. Ignore Saltine. They need to be called out as the right wing extremists they are.

Old 06-04-2017, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nor Cal Wahine View Post
I do not find any substance to this thread. I do not mean that as an insult to you at all - I genuinely do not - but your premise is faulty from the get-go because you first identify this dickweed as alt-right, and then imply that what you are expressing is what many people are feeling.

My only rebuttal to that is that you are wrong to make such an assumption of this man's political leanings and that people gullible enough to join in unity behind that assumption are also wrong.
Ok...fair enough.

My premise..is that the Alt/right extremists are coloring the perceptions of the public with their antics and have been for a long time now. If you are comfortable with that perception, accurate or not, I can't argue with that.

Old 06-04-2017, 11:47 AM

8,059 posts, read 3,943,773 times
Quote:
I did know...the 'for a reason' phrase is there because many, if not all, of the protests he attended..were Pro-Trump..and that many, if not all, of the groups he hung around with were Alt/right.

His hatred of Trump..after all he did utter a death threat...in no way change the perception..of many who are following this.

Again, the reason, is that he, and many in the Alt/Right espouse the same views.

I gotta ask..is the fact that he liked Sanders somehow important, for you, in this case?

So you knew the facts don't fit the stereotype, yet left that out of your original post... but you have no agenda?

Old 06-04-2017, 11:48 AM

11,027 posts, read 6,504,883 times
Quote:
Ok...fair enough.

My premise..is that the Alt/right extremists are coloring the perceptions of the public with their antics and have been for a long time now. If you are comfortable with that perception, accurate or not, I can't argue with that.
I believe that people of all extreme persuasions are capable of coloring the perception of the credulous public. It's generally the extremists of any given side who make the most noise and receive the most noise in kind. Only objective people capable of filtering the signal from the noise are able to understand that the loudest most inflammatory minority elements that receive attention from the media are the ones who color simplistic people's perceptions.

I disagree on the persuasion of this particular guy. It's extremely muddled as to whether or not he really believed in anything at all. One should not ascribe political motivation to someone who is simply mentally ill.

Old 06-04-2017, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultor View Post
So you knew the facts don't fit the stereotype, yet left that out of your original post... but you have no agenda?
My point...one more time, was to point out the existence of the stereotype..not its accuracy.

It appears..that to many..accuracy is over-rated.

Old 06-04-2017, 11:54 AM

3,615 posts, read 2,329,485 times
So an atheist bernie trump misanthropic supporter with mental problems who cursed christianity along with islam and wanted to kill trump supporters, loved Malcolm X and was angry at clinton for suppressing blm activists,who called for Jeff Sessions to be assassinated, was thrown out of trump rallies and had been reported to the Portland Police by Trump supporters is representative of the trump base? Ok

The whole story of him attacking two muslim women and these guys saving them is just more fake news and a a poor attempt to try and stir up anti trump supporter sentiment, it just happened to suck for the media he was a bernie supporter but the whole thing was a lie.

The whole tale of this sicko attacking two muslim women isnt even true, he wasnt even attacking the two women, one of whom wasnt a muslim! The situation started from his psychopathic shouting on the bus that situation escalated.

"Yet none of these three men risked and sacrificed their lives in order to protect two Muslim women. First, there weren’t two Muslim women. Second, no women were in need of being rescued, for Christian was on a rant that wasn’t obviously directed toward them and which included comments that had nothing to do with Islam. The only person who did try to persuade Christian to stop his tirade—Mr. Forde—is receiving relatively no media coverage, and is certainly not being hailed as a hero. Forde, clearly, doesn’t fit the narrative. He also was unharmed."

Christian boarded the train, two “juvenile females” were already on board. “One was an African-American and one was an African-American Muslim who was wearing traditional Muslim dress.”

Christian, who was “seen taking large drinks from a bladder style container of purple liquid that [was] later identified by [Christian] as Sangria wine,” proceeded to shout “statements seemingly targeted at the girls and at others that included: ‘Get the f**k out!’ ‘Pay taxes,’ ‘Go home, we need American here!’ ‘I don’t care if you are ISIS,’ ‘F**k Saudi Arabia!’ and ‘Free speech or die.’”

Evidently, Christian didn’t specifically target the two girls, instead launching into a rant that “involved” comments that could be construed as hostile to Islam but which, as this sampling of quotations makes clear, were not limited to such remarks.

The three men who are being hailed as “heroes”—Taliesin Namkai-Meche, Micah Fletcher, and Ricky Best—didn’t initially mix it up with Christian. Rather, it was a man named “Mr. Forde” who initially tried to “intervene and verbally deescalate the situation [.]” He didn’t “stand up to hate” or, necessarily, seek to protect “two Muslim women.” Mr. Forde simply tried to calm Christian. He was “unsuccessful,” for Christian “continued shouting.” Forde recalled him saying, among other things, something about “decapitating heads.”

The young women “were clearly alarmed” by Christian’s outbursts and “move [ed] away” from him.

It was only after Forde’s unsuccessful attempt to diffuse his volatility that Christian made “a sudden move in the direction of” Namkai-Meche who, the affidavit implies, was an innocent bystander until this point. Namkai-Meche was sitting down. When Christian moved in his direction, understandably and perhaps with an eye toward preventing himself from being pummeled upon, he stood up. This angered Christian, who responded by getting into Namkai-Meche’s face and shouting: “Oh, do something *****!”

It was at this point that Micah Fletcher stood up next to Namkai-Meche. This apparently incensed Christian more. Yelling, “Do something!” he “shoved Micah Fletcher in the chest.” Christian began pulling out a “folded knife” from his pocket. Fletcher shoved Christian back. The latter stumbled.

Christian challenged Fletcher to “hit me again.” Fletcher told him to get off the train. Christian then swung at him with his knife out, stabbing Fletcher in the neck. Immediately, he turned and stabbed Namkai-Meche in the neck. But it is when Christian went in for Namkai-Meche’s neck the second time that Ricky Best, the military veteran that Christian would murder, intervened to stop the stabbing of the two men.

Christian “pushed” Best into Namkai-Meche, who was trying to “staunch” his bleeding, and then proceeded to stab both of them. Fletcher was as well trying to attend to his own wound as he left the train car to seek medical help from passengers on the platform.

Namkai-Meche and Best would die from their injuries. Fletcher’s wound missed being fatal by mere millimeters.

When Christian was apprehended, he told officers that he had “just stabbed a bunch of mother**kers in their neck. Just a punk ass bunch of mother**kers.” He also said: “Get stabbed in your neck if you hate free speech.”

https://townhall.com/columnists/jack...ction-n2334881

Old 06-04-2017, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nor Cal Wahine View Post
I believe that people of all extreme persuasions are capable of coloring the perception of the credulous public. It's generally the extremists of any given side who make the most noise and receive the most noise in kind. Only objective people capable of filtering the signal from the noise are able to understand that the loudest most inflammatory minority elements that receive attention from the media are the ones who color simplistic people's perceptions.

I disagree on the persuasion of this particular guy. It's extremely muddled as to whether or not he really believed in anything at all. One should not ascribe political motivation to someone who is simply mentally ill.
A lot of truth there..I agree....I just think that some strong disavowals of the Alt/Right agenda would do wonders..for people's perception of the Trump based.

I could be too optimistic though.

Old 06-04-2017, 11:55 AM

212 posts, read 136,057 times
He should've shouted "Allahu Akbar" before stabbing his victims. He would've had every liberal from Portland OR, to Portland, ME lovingly & unconditionally defending his right to free speech.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies