Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2017, 07:22 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,277,139 times

Advertisements

I'm not British but I've lived in the UK before and still have friends over there.

I was living in England the July 2005 subway bombings occurred. (I'd been in London the day before.) The attacks were shocking, needless to say, but the country was hardly "reeling" afterwards. Seriously. It kind of stunned me how it wasn't a much bigger deal.

Sure, there was wall-to-wall coverage for a couple of days and some very graphic newspaper front pages the following day, but it dropped off the radar much more quickly than I thought it would have. It popped up in the news again when they reopened the affected stations one by one, but that's about it.

I asked people why it wasn't a bigger deal and whether they were scared. Most just scoffed and mentioned the Blitz (they mentioned it a LOT), the Troubles (IRA terrorism), etc. When I thought about it, it made sense. People my age there had grandparents who vividly remember diving under tables or into cellars or cramming themselves into Underground stations during Nazi bombing raids throughout WWII. Their parents witnessed regular coverage of IRA terrorism and were sometimes themselves witnesses to it. Remember, the Blitz killed tens of thousands of British civilians, mainly in the South, and destroyed hundreds of millions of dollars' worth of property. Several thousand people were killed in Northern Ireland and the rest of the UK during the Troubles and it too caused countless millions in property damage, not to mention changing the landscape of British towns & cities permanently (try finding a trash can in a train station). Heck, the Omagh bombing was not even 20 years ago and it killed as many people as the 2005 subway attack.

They're pretty stoic people. Seriously. I don't buy it that they're "reeling." It would be a very un-British reaction.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2017, 07:22 AM

4,765 posts, read 3,731,441 times
According the nonprofit project the Gun Violence Archive, there were 12,562 gun deaths in 2014 and 9,959 in 2015 thus far. That’s a grand total of 301,797 firearm-related deaths in the past decade, compared to 71 deaths from domestic acts of terrorism.

Fact-checking a comparison of gun deaths and terrorism deaths | PolitiFact

Though this is a few years old, it has more detail. I'm not some anti-gun lefty, but facts are facts.

Old 06-05-2017, 07:24 AM

38,859 posts, read 25,531,346 times
An unwanted dose of reality for Trumplings:

Top 10 USA newspapers circulation:

1. USA Today – 2,301,917
  2. The New York Times – 2,101,611
  3. The Wall Street Journal – 1,337,376
  4. Los Angeles Times – 467,309
  5. New York Post – 424,721
  6. Chicago Tribune – 384,962
  7. The Washington Post – 356,768
  8. Newsday – 321,296
  9. Daily News – 299,538
  10. am New York – 298,759
Top 10 US Daily Newspapers - Cision

This clown isn't laughing.

Old 06-05-2017, 07:25 AM

4,765 posts, read 3,731,441 times
Any way you cut it, the OP's point is really that a far right tabloid in Britain is taking issue with the NYT's choice of wording.

What a smoking gun! LOL

With everything that has happened in politics in the last 6 months, this qualifies as a SAD distraction.

Old 06-05-2017, 07:32 AM
Status: "“If a thing loves, it is infinite.â€" (set 9 hours ago)

27,160 posts, read 13,444,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
I'm not British but I've lived in the UK before and still have friends over there.

I was living in England the July 2005 subway bombings occurred. (I'd been in London the day before.) The attacks were shocking, needless to say, but the country was hardly "reeling" afterwards. Seriously. It kind of stunned me how it wasn't a much bigger deal.

Sure, there was wall-to-wall coverage for a couple of days and some very graphic newspaper front pages the following day, but it dropped off the radar much more quickly than I thought it would have. It popped up in the news again when they reopened the affected stations one by one, but that's about it.

I asked people why it wasn't a bigger deal and whether they were scared. Most just scoffed and mentioned the Blitz (they mentioned it a LOT), the Troubles (IRA terrorism), etc. When I thought about it, it made sense. People my age there had grandparents who vividly remember diving under tables or into cellars or cramming themselves into Underground stations during Nazi bombing raids throughout WWII. Their parents witnessed regular coverage of IRA terrorism and were sometimes themselves witnesses to it. Remember, the Blitz killed tens of thousands of British civilians, mainly in the South, and destroyed hundreds of millions of dollars' worth of property. Several thousand people were killed in Northern Ireland and the rest of the UK during the Troubles and it too caused countless millions in property damage, not to mention changing the landscape of British towns & cities permanently (try finding a trash can in a train station). Heck, the Omagh bombing was not even 20 years ago and it killed as many people as the 2005 subway attack.

They're pretty stoic people. Seriously. I don't buy it that they're "reeling." It would be a very un-British reaction.

There is a history of big disaster, terrorist attacks, fire, disease, war and bombing, pollution (smog) etc etc in London, these latest attacks are only a tiny footnote in London's history.

London's 10 Worst Disasters | Londonist

List of terrorist incidents in London - Wikipedia

Attacks on the London Underground - Wikipedia

List of London Underground accidents - Wikipedia

Bomb Sight - Mapping the World War 2 London Blitz Bomb Census

Last edited by Brave New World; 06-05-2017 at 07:48 AM..

Old 06-05-2017, 07:43 AM

22,923 posts, read 15,483,261 times
Meanwhile, breaking news in Orlando Florida:

Numerous dead in Orlando shooting

Here we go again.

Old 06-05-2017, 08:28 AM

25,842 posts, read 16,521,023 times
Isn't it racist to suggest that Brits are somehow more suited to dealing with stress and intense situations?

Old 06-05-2017, 08:40 AM

26,272 posts, read 8,427,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post

We're not reeling. But we are getting annoyed.

Old 06-05-2017, 08:51 AM

448 posts, read 365,761 times
If the limies are laughing then they are laughing idiots. They have created the means for Islam to destroy their culture and if they are laughing about it then they are fools and asshats.

Old 06-05-2017, 08:56 AM

25,842 posts, read 16,521,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spillerNburr View Post
If the limies are laughing then they are laughing idiots. They have created the means for Islam to destroy their culture and if they are laughing about it then they are fools and asshats.
In the past they have known how to deal with internal enemies as well as external. Lets see if they can defeat liberalism so that they can get on with the job that must be done.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies