Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2017, 06:33 AM

57,297 posts, read 26,217,746 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ottomobeale View Post
Not a fan of Texas Social Darwinism however, correlation is not necessarily causation.
Immigration peaked in 2008, the mortality rate doubled since 2010 so I doubt there was some sudden influx of illegal immigrants. They need to look into their healthcare system for answers, but they don't seem to have the interest.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2017, 06:38 AM

4,698 posts, read 4,075,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigiri View Post
Now this takes some doing - conservative health care at it's finest:
Study: Texas has highest maternal mortality rate in developed world | abc13.com

The thing about Texas is that it is, in theory, one of the wealthiest places on planet earth. They have money flowing from fracking, oil, chemicals and lots of other industries.

So Texas managed to accomplish the nearly impossible task of killing more women than thought possible in normal times.
This article is terrible. I first clicked on the link, and it didn't contain any data and came from a random source called abc13. Your rant didn't exactly help.

I found an article on The Guardian about this, that is a lot better. Texas was doing better than for instance New York till about 2010. At that time it was New York who was "killing more women than thought possible in normal times".

What Texas did was to defund family planning in 2011, which was a really stupid move that has now been reversed.

Quote:
From 2000 to the end of 2010, Texas’s estimated maternal mortality rate hovered between 17.7 and 18.6 per 100,000 births. But after 2010, that rate had leaped to 33 deaths per 100,000, and in 2014 it was 35.8. Between 2010 and 2014, more than 600 women died for reasons related to their pregnancies.
https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/...linics-funding

Last edited by Camlon; 06-05-2017 at 07:07 AM.. Reason: new data

Old 06-05-2017, 06:42 AM

38,859 posts, read 25,544,683 times
Talking Texas is #1 - in Maternal Mortality in the entire developed world

Yessir!

Down here Texas way, we gots ourselfs one o' them deep red, hard right, "christyin" conservatard gummints.

Come on down, y'all!

Best part is, taxes jus' keep on climbin' like a stripe-azz ape.

Old 06-05-2017, 06:44 AM

15,637 posts, read 10,393,078 times
According to the study data there was an unusual spike in the mortality rate, which occurred in 2011–2012. Hopefully, a new study will be done to determine the cause of this spike as the researchers themselves said in their discussion section, ".... in the absence of war, natural disaster, or severe economic upheaval, the doubling of a mortality rate within a 2-year period in a state with almost 400,000 annual births seems unlikely." A copy of the entire study on which this headline is based is below.

https://d279m997dpfwgl.cloudfront.ne...016.online.pdf

Last edited by texan2yankee; 06-05-2017 at 06:58 AM..

Old 06-05-2017, 06:55 AM

12,905 posts, read 15,662,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camlon View Post
This is just anti-intellectual nonsense. I first clicked on the link, and it didn't contain any data and came from a random source called abc13.

Here is the real data, Texas is not #1 in the world, in fact they are doing better than New York. Using your own argument against you, why is New York killing more women than thought possible in normal times?

Well, there is something to it:

Rising U.S. Mortality Rate For Mothers Is Highest In Texas : NPR

Old 06-05-2017, 06:59 AM

4,698 posts, read 4,075,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristineVA View Post
True. The numbers I showed was before the spike in mortality rate. I figured that out when I found a more trustworthy article that showed actual numbers.

This shows that if you don't like that planned parenthood do abortions, you will have to replace it with something else, not just defund them.

Old 06-05-2017, 07:01 AM

11,027 posts, read 6,508,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
So you're saying that coming to the country with the best healthcare in the world would make them more likely to die in childbirth. Totally illogical conclusion. You know what conclusions are logical? The fact that most of our Planned Parenthood clinics have closed and our abortion requirements are so restrictive that women who are not physically healthy enough to have babies have them anyway and die as a result. Couple this with the fact that our requirements for Medicaid are among the most restrictive in the country, so poor women have no health insurance, cannot get prenatal care, thus you have a dead mother and possibly a sick or dying infant.
No. I didn't say that at all.

Read through the thread. Thoroughly. There has been a wealth of information provided. The PP closures by the way occurred after this latest report data was compiled. That has been pointed out several times now. My pointing that fact out should not be seen as a sign of support on my part for that happening. I've made my views on our need for PP and my frustration with the Texas GOP abundantly clear over the years here.

I'm simply shedding some light on several facets of the topic on hand and opposing the OP's assertion that Texas is stingy with funds for low income and illegal immigrant healthcare. 804 million dollars a year isn't stingy, but could be better used IMO to provide better services to actual citizens of our state.

Old 06-05-2017, 07:04 AM

12,905 posts, read 15,662,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camlon View Post
True. The numbers I showed was before the spike in mortality rate. I figured that out when I found a more trustworthy article that showed actual numbers.

This shows that you cannot just close down Planned Parenthood like Texas did, you need to replace it.
The source for the data in the original story (abc13) came from a University of Maryland study. The link I posted was an interview with the Texas Maternal Mortality Board or something like that. Not sure where their data came from, but it's an obvious problem.

While they don't know the actual cause yet for the spike, it was interesting that the most deaths occurred in the African-American populations and causes seemed to be cardiac in nature as well as obesity, high blood pressure etc.

It seems that some here want to make it about migrants, yet that would be easy enough to find and it wasn't even mentioned.

Old 06-05-2017, 07:06 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,059,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieB.Good View Post
So people coming from under/lesser developed countries increase their mortality risks by coming to Texas?
Correct, no prenatal care and the first time they may see a doctor is when they are in the birthing suite. This is alos an issue within low income communities even when those services are available to them.

Old 06-05-2017, 07:10 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,059,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieB.Good View Post
If only there was a network of healthcare providers who focus on making sure low-income women receive the proper post-natal healthcare they need so they don't do things like die after childbirth...
It's not as simple as that, you need to get them to participate. My mother worked as OB nurse for 30 years and exclusively for the last 10 years giving child birthing classes which were available to low income people. One of her largest complaints was many low income people not paying attention if they showed up at all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies