Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2017, 11:43 AM

25,552 posts, read 17,256,908 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedZin View Post
China is CLEANING UP.

Trump seems hell bent on getting the US and the rest of the planet dirtier.
No facts to back either statement.
Quote:
China’s coal power generation capacity will grow as much as 19 percent over the next five years even as the world’s biggest energy consumer expands use of non-fossil fuels.
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...in-5-year-plan
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2017, 12:03 PM

2,407 posts, read 1,504,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
I have lived in China. I've been in the smog you talk of.

And they are making massive investments in stopping that. Your original point would have been valid 4 years ago. Not today. They've taken the lead in developing and deploying green power.

And the vast majority of the country has been able to go outside no problem, its only in some of the biggest and densest cities in the world where you see the horrific pollution. In March the government ordered the closure of over 100 coal power plants. Unlike us they are serious about this stuff now. Your post is the past.

So again, lets hope that your original wish doesn't occur, because it will be us on the receiving end.
I call BS on you living in China.

I was just there. My wife is Chinese. Her family is trying anything they can to immigrate to the U.S.A. for a better life.

Old 06-05-2017, 12:04 PM

8,781 posts, read 9,446,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dog8food View Post
They alone make up half the world's population, and no matter how great an effort other countries make to improve environmental conditions, it's just a drop in the bucket compared to the large-scale pollution continuously mishandled by these two countries.

Where are the demands? Where are the sanctions?
What makes you think they are not moving in a greener direction?

Old 06-05-2017, 12:08 PM

2,407 posts, read 1,504,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rego00123 View Post
What makes you think they are not moving in a greener direction?
You have to know the history of their cultures, their corruption and their greed. Only then you would understand.

Old 06-05-2017, 12:11 PM

5,722 posts, read 5,797,066 times
That is good China is working on more solar power it would be a great benefit to them. They don't really have any choice in regards to coal they will still have to rely on coal at least some for many more years. Unfortunately the U.S. has never been able to capitalize on that they get most of the coal that they import from Australia I believe.

Old 06-05-2017, 01:49 PM

3,536 posts, read 2,855,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedZin View Post
China is CLEANING UP.

Trump seems hell bent on getting the US and the rest of the planet dirtier.
China is cleaning up! Because they have no choice, they have polluted vast amounts of their limited arable land and freshwater, and the smog in their industrial cities is causing horrible health problems for it's workers.
They were going to have to start cleaning up, Paris Accord or not. Of course they are all for the Paris Accord, at the same time they were going to have to spend vast sums cleaning up their environment, and implementing regulations that would lead to higher production cost, here comes the moronic dope Obama agreeing to throttle back there biggest competitor, the USA.

RR

Old 06-05-2017, 01:57 PM

34,278 posts, read 19,358,607 times
Quote:
I call BS on you living in China.

I was just there. My wife is Chinese. Her family is trying anything they can to immigrate to the U.S.A. for a better life.
You can call bs if you want, don't care. Unlike you i have a reputation of being honest here. Id hardly waste it on a side conversation.

It doesn't change the fact that in recent years they have gone to serious efforts to clean up. The 80+ gigawatts of solar I mentioned earlier are a fact. You have an opinion. Guess which ones more valuable?

Old 06-05-2017, 01:59 PM

10,920 posts, read 6,905,438 times
Quote:
They alone make up half the world's population, and no matter how great an effort other countries make to improve environmental conditions, it's just a drop in the bucket compared to the large-scale pollution continuously mishandled by these two countries.

Where are the demands? Where are the sanctions?
It's a good discussion. No environmental solution for the future is complete without considering their effects on the world.

Old 06-05-2017, 02:05 PM

3,536 posts, read 2,855,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
Please. Stifled us? Hardly. The vast majority of things were optional, and we would have been better off environmentally for them. Clean air, and water are not exactly stifling. Just like the original poster, you are unaware of the facts of the matter at hand.
So what good is an optional treaty?

LOL... Yes we all know that the 1st part of the treaty was a joke, The second part was the real meat and potatoes, $100 billion a year flushed down the toilet of third world dictators and corrupt bureaucracies, with plenty of kickbacks for the UN.

If you don't understand why the Euro's are so angry about us dumping this worthless garbage of an accord, then you probably don't realize what country they were expecting to pay the lions share.

RR

Old 06-05-2017, 02:09 PM

12,772 posts, read 7,972,696 times
And not one mention of how excessive consumerism and the push for cheap disposable everything by US consumers drives the pollutants cranked out by China and India. If people were more willing and able to pay a little bit more for non-disposable everything, and make better consumer decisions, I'm sure we would also make a nice dent in the issue and not have to worry about policing the world. Its easier to cry to the government to fix everything than it is to take action and responsibility for ourselves I guess.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies