Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2017, 02:26 PM

4,279 posts, read 1,903,896 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyMac18 View Post
LOL

The butterfly effect? Oh for the love of sanity these morons.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2017, 04:32 PM

31,290 posts, read 20,737,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonesg View Post
Climate can't be modeled, they know that.
Anything can be modeled. Accuracy is the question. And the AGW supporters have proven over and over that they cannot ACCURATELY model climate. A dart board would be just as accurate.

Old 06-06-2017, 04:47 PM

20,459 posts, read 12,379,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dog8food View Post
Can someone tell me how these current "scientists" set a standard temperature--of what the earth's climate 'should' be--when the earth's climate has always varied since the beginning of time?
I understand the rhetorical nature of the question but there really is an answer... a disturbing answer... but there is an answer.

so you take the recorded record going back as far as you can, then put all that data in a computer. then you use various statistical methodologies to create a timeline and smooth for various inputs. smoothing over time to remove statistical anomalies etc...

once you have done all of that you can get a baseline, then you can pick a period you want to use as your "norm"

for the purposes of the current discussion, you go back to before the "Modern Warming Period" that started somewhere in the 1970s, and you determine the baseline over some period (I think mostly they used about 1900 to 1970).

Here is the disturbing point: you cannot control for variations in temperature recording variations. (different people reading the same or different thermometers). You cannot control for different methodologies of determining temperature before industrialization, thermometers were hand made and therefore likely not calibrated .... various manufacturing methods of different devices even after industrialization further exacerbates the issue.

You then have to contend with encroaching urbanization and the impact of Urban Heat Island Effect. We have seen in the record, a recording station was once set in a rural area, but urbanization encroached to the point that this once isolated station because surrounded by a concrete jungle. that's just a few of the issues.

now due to these realities you have further issues because databases that collect the information now have to "correct" for the best understanding of these and other known issues. Now you have humans making "corrections" on data sets. But one correction while it might be a good correction for some perceived error, will be done on the set and might not be the right correction for every collection point in the dataset. Now you have input some fix, and some exacerbated error. wash... repeat....

Some years ago during the "climate gate" thing, there was an email exchange that kind of dealt with the trainwreck that was the data set. These guys knew their data was a mishmash.

so there is the actual reality of the very disturbing process of setting the standard temperature.... and I haven't even gotten into the fact that that number has changed constantly over the Modern Warming Period, every time they did adjustments to the record.

One would be hard pressed to understand how they have depressed the temperature record of the Dust Bowl period while increasing the same record for the Modern Warming Period.

Old 06-06-2017, 04:49 PM

20,459 posts, read 12,379,585 times
Here is my one single question. Show me in the Peer Reviewed Record Positive Forcing.

Old 06-06-2017, 04:54 PM

3,909 posts, read 2,122,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferd View Post
Here is my one single question. Show me in the Peer Reviewed Record Positive Forcing.
Intelligent one, there is not a "record" for a forcing magnitude in the scientific world, therefore your question is useless.

Old 06-06-2017, 05:09 PM

727 posts, read 390,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hesychios View Post
I remember John Coleman from his days working in Chicago. He was a great weatherman, and I watched him a lot.

However, on this subject the elder gentleman is flat out wrong. It is sad to see such a personality sully his reputation and legacy in this way.
I was there too. Coleman was always the entertainer. He was outlandish, crazy and people watched because you never knew what to expect. He marketed weather in Chicago well but there was never a time Chicagoans considered him a professional meteorologist. In fact, he was often criticized for not having credentials.

Coleman's degree is in journalism. Maybe that's a scientists to him... But one thing is for certain, he watches Fox News. So much of what he said is the same stuff I've heard on Fox.

Old 06-06-2017, 05:43 PM

15,713 posts, read 9,521,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dbones View Post
yeah, predicting what will happen 100 years out is much easier than predicting the next days weather. Yeah you go with that foolishness and I will continue to laugh.
I've worked alongside weather forecasters for years. They go to school for this, study it, fret about it, hate when they're wrong and have to listen to buttholes like you who think it's so easy.

Old 06-06-2017, 05:48 PM

10,920 posts, read 6,909,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NxtGen View Post
LOL

The butterfly effect? Oh for the love of sanity these morons.
Weather is chaotic. Climate is less chaotic as it is an averaging of many events. This is a common statistical breakdown of things (for obvious reasons).

You would never make judgements about large-scale patterns based on a single measurement, or even a small amount of measurements (or maybe you would?...but you should not)

What point do you take issue with?

Old 06-06-2017, 06:18 PM

19,718 posts, read 10,121,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irspow View Post
Like the "experts" and "scientists", and the mindless minions who believe them that ignore the real science of geology that destroys their silly little theory...

http://www.scotese.com/images/globaltemp.jpg
They use a base year in the 1880s and fail to count in the fact of the difference in the accuracy of temperature measuring equipment from then to today's computer equipment. The equipment itself could account for a huge difference. So there is no way to be accurate within a couple degrees, let alone 10ths of degrees. So they are using a guesstimate to scare people.

Old 06-06-2017, 06:22 PM

27,307 posts, read 16,220,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by biggunsmallbrains View Post
Oooh. What an original retort. You must be a one of agent oranges TWITter followers.
I don't waste my time with Twitter.

But it seems liberals hang slavishly on every tweet he makes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies