Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2017, 11:07 AM

36,505 posts, read 30,847,571 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by maineguy8888 View Post
Come on, we need to get real. Trump can't change anything that much....no one President can. Yet I see so many conservatives absolutely sure that things are really going to change now. And pinning all their hopes on him. Ridiculous.
It has seemed to me its the liberals that have this idea Trump is dramatically changing things. According to some of them:

He has cut all the old people out of their health care.
And their starving because Trump did away with Meals on Wheels
He defended the schools
Gave tax cuts to billionaires
Screwed "Appalachia"
Threw everyone off disability
Destroyed our economy
Deported innocent legal immigrants

Did I forget anything?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2017, 11:09 AM

6,928 posts, read 5,903,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bawac34618 View Post
Yes, the 1950s are over and aren't coming back. No matter how much the right wing wants to roll back the clock to the "Father Knows Best" era, it isn't coming back.

However, I wish more people would realize things aren't all that bad today. People talk about suffering under Obama. My question to them is how have you genuinely suffered under Obama? Because he lit the White House in rainbow to celebrate LGBT equality? Because he brought attention to racially-motivated police brutality?

People in this country don't know what real hard times look like. Even the Great Recession, while being the second worst recession of the 20th century, paled in comparison to the Great Depression or the economic conditions endured in the pre-Hitler Weimar Republic.

Today isn't all bad. Conservatives are slowly starting to advocate revolution but why? What freedoms have you lost?

Every era has its pluses and minuses and that's simply life.
Before I even hit "post" on the OP, I already KNEW that somebody was going to say "yes the 1950s are over and they aren't coming back".
lol
Mind-numbingly predictable..............

Old 06-06-2017, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Yes, the 1950s are over and aren't coming back. No matter how much the right wing wants to roll back the clock to the "Father Knows Best" era, it isn't coming back.

However, I wish more people would realize things aren't all that bad today. People talk about suffering under Obama. My question to them is how have you genuinely suffered under Obama? Because he lit the White House in rainbow to celebrate LGBT equality? Because he brought attention to racially-motivated police brutality?

People in this country don't know what real hard times look like. Even the Great Recession, while being the second worst recession of the 20th century, paled in comparison to the Great Depression or the economic conditions endured in the pre-Hitler Weimar Republic.

Today isn't all bad. Conservatives are slowly starting to advocate revolution but why? What freedoms have you lost?

Completely false. This is a 100-year, incremental takeover of the country (and western civilization in general).
And it's now over. This ain't no "cycle".

Old 06-06-2017, 11:12 AM

5,461 posts, read 3,234,036 times
I'm not giving up, but conservatives MUST drain the swamp that is the US Senate. Republicans in the Senate are, for the most part, Quasi-Democrats. It's our responsibility to get rid of these worthless hacks and replace them with actual conservatives.

Old 06-06-2017, 11:14 AM

33,942 posts, read 22,520,724 times
Quote:

Going backward is never the answer and it's not going to work

The rest of the world will move forward without us.

Adapt or die; that's been the word in Corporate America since the early 90's. If you cannot accept and adapt to change, you will not survive.

Same here.

Old 06-06-2017, 11:15 AM

5,466 posts, read 3,063,037 times
Quote:
My question to them is how have you genuinely suffered under Obama? Because he lit the White House in rainbow to celebrate LGBT equality? Because he brought attention to racially-motivated police brutality?
Or because he completely destabilized the whole middle east,
gave us ISIS ,
massive financing to the Muslim brotherhood,
armed the muslim lunatics.
Because he stood by as China built islands they claim as chinese territory in intl ocean waters.
Or because he stood meekly by as Russia walked in and took the Crimea by force.
Its a more dangerous world because of that small scared man who was too afraid to lead from the front.

Old 06-06-2017, 11:16 AM
NCN

21,662 posts, read 25,625,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freak80 View Post
Take heart. Most rural areas are still far-right. Many rural areas are still in the Middle Ages, culturally.
The Middle Ages: That enlightened time when we came out of the Dark Ages. Dark ages: Time sin ruled. If conservatives lost that is what we are going back to. At least rural areas are not yet there. Looks like NYC, Chicago, New Orleans, and California are almost if not already in the Dark Ages.

Old 06-06-2017, 11:17 AM

4,279 posts, read 1,903,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maineguy8888 View Post
Come on, we need to get real. Trump can't change anything that much....no one President can. Yet I see so many conservatives absolutely sure that things are really going to change now. And pinning all their hopes on him. Ridiculous.
He won't drain the swamp..........have you SEEN the swamp?? 95% of the DC area votes Democrat. Over 90% of federal employees always vote Democrat (or Green). Some federal agencies are up around 96-97%. THAT ain't going to change. To say nothing of the Deep State (something that some leftists actually cared about 40-50 years ago.....)
And "the rule of law" is dead; the left put an end to that and our courts are now purely political agents of the left. Plus, the left was smart and did this war the clever way: 100 years ago they set their sights on the culture, and have been incrementally infiltrating it and taking it over since then. Now?? All of our institutions are leftist--the media, the churches, education, nonprofits, keep going right down the line. (The military too.....they were the last to fall). Even big business is in bed with the State now (ExxonMobil pleading for us to remain in the Paris climate accord..........just one example). The rot is so deep in our society now......and all of the "isms" have taken over. Islamism slowly joins the victory parade....little by little carving out more power (there were NO regular Islamist terror threats or attacks in this country 50 or 75 years ago......duh). We didn't just lose this war...we lost it BADLY. I like Reagan as much as the next guy (his picture's on my living room wall). But asking him to have really changed things was just nuts. One doctor can't save a patient who has ten fatal illnesses and has also just been in a plane crash. Ain't gonna happen. (Reagan may have "killed the Soviet Union", but even as he did so, the communists who had first started to infiltrate US way back in the 1920s were wrapping up their successful takeover of our own State). The rot is in the society......deep in it. It shows up in a million ways. All the political stuff is just a symptom....yet a symptom that circles back and makes the rot even worse. And now it's waaaaay too far gone.

The left talks about the Resistance.....lol.. Too funny. The real "resistance" is the 20-30% of us who haven't bought into the Lie and are stilll holdouts. Our country as we knew it is dead, our side has lost, and now we are the Ghosts in the Machine. I know that's what I will be. And what I will teach my kids to be.
We are slowly reaching the number of "hold outs" that you say to which Marx described as the ones who needed to be killed in order to progress his goals.

Wait for it, it will come in our life time when progressives begin killing those "hold outs" all in the name of the betterment of the "collective".

Old 06-06-2017, 11:17 AM

18,976 posts, read 7,013,134 times
A year ago I resigned myself to the fact that the days of our country are numbered. I'm under no delusion that we will remain a country indefinitely, and in time we will see it become some other nation.

Old 06-06-2017, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyster View Post
I'm not giving up, but conservatives MUST drain the swamp that is the US Senate. Republicans in the Senate are, for the most part, Quasi-Democrats. It's our responsibility to get rid of these worthless hacks and replace them with actual conservatives.
Here's one of the leading clues that we're toast:
One of the "key players" in the Senate now is Maine's own Susie Collins. She's a key to whether Trump gets to do anything, or not. Susie has few beliefs (I know her well). The only beliefs she has that are really out in the open are liberal ones (very pro-abortion, pro-gay everything, wants to do ALOT about climate change). And she's a Republican. She is not very smart at all. (On top of everything else, she has no children of her own, which I think should be a disqualifying factor for any one seeking to represent us.......she has almost NO "skin in the game" of her own....)
But she's not the problem. Mainers love her. (Conservatives are the only group that has a few qualms with her). They keep sending her back with huge election wins. They will do so again next time.
These are my neighbors, I know them well. (I live in Susie's home town; the guy who runs her local office is a friend). Why do they love her?? "Just because". "She is nice". "She believes in civility". "She has a nice smile and dress".

It's really that simple. THAT is the rot I am talking about. And it's why we are toast.

Last edited by maineguy8888; 06-06-2017 at 11:31 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies