Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-07-2017, 12:04 PM

19,804 posts, read 9,362,001 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enigma777 View Post
Is their anything society is not blaming on millennials these days?
Is there anything that Millennials are not blaming Baby Boomers for these days?

As I said, it seems to be going both ways these days!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2017, 12:20 PM

19,637 posts, read 12,226,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whocares811 View Post
Perhaps I am mistaken, but it seems to me, through reading, that generally speaking, older age people have always been more obese than younger ones when comparing age groups; and I think that is due to older people not exercising as much and just the passage of time. (Putting on a pound a year might mean ten extra pounds at age 30, but it could mean 40 extra pounds at age 60.)

I'm 63, btw, and I now weigh about 15 pounds more than I did when I was 17 -- and so what? I walk 25-30 miles a week and regularly lift 40-pound boxes and my BMI is 21. I am actually in better physical shape now than I was 25 years ago.

Also, I am very tired of those in one age group bashing those in another age group. It seems to me that more people in ALL adult age groups are doing this more and more lately, and I wish it would just stop. Although I think it is okay to criticize behavior, I greatly dislike unjustified stereotyping in any way.
It's general biology of course. I'm not sure what that poster was trying to prove. The boomers were skinnier as a group at the age the millennials are now. They put on weight naturally in middle age. Diabetes and obesity at younger ages is a bigger problem now than in the past. A lot of them might not even make it to boomers ages. It isn't a bashing to say that, it is a concern, they are our kids and we want them to have healthy long lives.

Old 06-07-2017, 01:19 PM

2,085 posts, read 2,141,237 times
From what I can tell, there will be fewer millenials around to even criticize or take care of the older population....those who don't die of heart disease, cancer, etc caused by the poison served by the CEOs and stakeholders of giant restaurant corporations, might just as easily be killed in a terrorist attack, war, or some random act of violence.

Old 06-07-2017, 01:21 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,198,461 times
Lol! Good. Most of these chain restaurants are garbage.

Old 06-07-2017, 01:24 PM

10,097 posts, read 10,011,473 times
Quote:

I think the difference might be in the social skills though. The older demographic are less shy and more open to talking to people so they come off as nicer but might also get ugly when pushed or when something is not to their satisfaction. But they have some balanced social skills.

The younger generation are way more introverted by comparison. I am an older millennial and have noticed younger millennials are so painfully shy and introverted by comparison that I get frustrated sometimes. Even when some are not introverted they can't seem to balance having confidence without it spilling over into cockiness. Others are overly emotional to the point of banality. Point is, millennial social skills are all over the map and abysmal in my opinion.

As an example, take the Kesha vs Jerry Seinfeld fiasco that erupted on the internet. It was stupid but highlights what I am trying to say. Kesha couldn't come up to Seinfeld and just say hi like a normal person, she had to act like a fangirl and ask for a hug. Now I proly wouldn't have been as repulsed as Seinfeld was and would've stuck out my hand for a handshake but I see where he is coming from. That is just a weird way of trying to show your appreciation for an artist. I am all for people being friendly and nice but this over the top bubbly almost hippie love child way of expressing yourself the way some millennials do is just plain weird and overly emotional.

If it's not that they're just introverted and probably wouldn't even make eye contact with you. If not that, they're really cocky and off putting with their sense of entitlement. I mean in other words, this new generation doesn't have the best social skills because they can be extreme no matter what their personality type is. I don't know if it's because they're online half the time and limit their real social interactions to the cliques they've formed? I think it might be because they've been coccooned in whatever bubble they've designed for themselves and cannot stand anything poking it or making them feel uncomfortable or they retaliate with utter disdain. I just don't know but rarely do I find a millennial with a real sense of genuine social skills that have not been affected heavily by pop culture or the internet.

Old 06-07-2017, 01:35 PM

4,491 posts, read 2,225,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by radiolibre99 View Post
Not doubling down. I just hear a lot of blame going around on baby boomers and wonder why? You could go back a few years to my posts where I was doing the same thing but have come to see that they're no different than any other generation.

Yes I get that the professor was saying don't generalize.
Well fine. Direct it at the people doing the blaming. I was very clearly saying not to generalized older generations and you accused me of... generalizing older generations.

Old 06-07-2017, 01:41 PM

10,097 posts, read 10,011,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skepticratic View Post
Well fine. Direct it at the people doing the blaming. I was very clearly saying not to generalized older generations and you accused me of... generalizing older generations.
I am not against all generalizations, I just wanted to know why boomers are the scourge to some people. Generalizations come from something that a particular group is doing whether positive or negative, depending on your perspective. When did we get so hung up on generalizations thinking that the exception to the rule somehow negates the shared experience about a particular group?

People don't have to apologize for generalizing. It's not as though generalizing is bad in and of itself. Stereotyping, yes, generalizing I think is people's attempt to understand what a group is doing.

Old 06-07-2017, 02:05 PM

17,916 posts, read 24,356,551 times
Quote:

The generation gap is as old as time.

Gen X is oddly in the middle of this one, though younger millennials often lump them with Boomers. Probably because their parents are Gen X and told them they have to turn off the internet and go to bed.

Old 06-07-2017, 07:59 PM

41,959 posts, read 75,192,887 times
I'm​ agree it's not as much of a generational thing as it is a quality thing. Most chain restaurants are awful - the food is poor quality, prepared in some commissary miles away and frozen, oversalted, and half the time you're​ lucky if it's been heated through.

Boomers and GenX aren't liking that crap, either.

Old 06-07-2017, 08:01 PM

4,534 posts, read 4,930,400 times
lol, I like the part where Millennials also get blamed for killing the napkin industry.

You Baby Boomers are really a salty bunch.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies