Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2017, 10:34 AM

983 posts, read 738,030 times

Advertisements

Millennials endanger casual-dining restaurants - Business Insider
Quote:
"Millennial consumers are more attracted than their elders to cooking at home, ordering delivery from restaurants, and eating quickly, in fast-casual or quick-serve restaurants," Smith wrote.

While blaming millennials has become a trend to the point of cliché in retail, Smith isn't wrong to zero in on younger customers' changing tastes as a major factor in casual dining's downfall.
I guess it makes sense, those places are more for the family experience they should cater more to older patrons like Denny's does.

As an Millennial, I actually like sit down places.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2017, 10:40 AM

15,859 posts, read 21,436,084 times
Must be all that avocado toast.

As a Millennial: you're welcome.

Old 06-06-2017, 10:42 AM

36,853 posts, read 17,357,575 times
It isn't Millenials...it's...Putin.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Ov8mAjlDhd8

Old 06-06-2017, 10:44 AM

23 posts, read 13,229 times
The food is overpriced for what it is (frozen, microwaved) and you can make healthier/cheaper versions of it at home. I'd rather save up and splurge on good food once every so often.

Old 06-06-2017, 10:44 AM

68,329 posts, read 54,373,658 times
Gee, and I just thought it was the average at best, pre-packaged, institutionalized food.

Old 06-06-2017, 10:49 AM

12,716 posts, read 7,809,065 times
Millennials typically opt for locally-owned, unique restaurants over the suburban chains that dominated the restaurant landscape in the 1990s and 2000s. I think that is the root of this problem. If I had a choice between a local or regional wing chain like say Wild Wing Cafe in Charlotte NC or Buffalo Wild Wings, I would choose Wild Wing Cafe every time. Part of the issue with the huge national chains is their quality is well below local restaurants and many times they are even more expensive. It's similar to how Millennials are choosing locally-brewed craft beer over Budweiser.

I think the chains will survive in rural areas and small cities where there isn't a local alternative. For instance, where I live now, if I want hot wings, Buffalo Wild Wings is it.

Old 06-06-2017, 10:50 AM

8,497 posts, read 4,558,569 times
Maybe its going back to the old days. When I was growing up, we hardly ever went out to dinner. We had our meals at home. That seems to have changed in the last few decades with everyone going out (families included) much more frequently. Home meals were much less common.

I do not blame millennials for for the trouble of these types of restaurants. It is just changing preferences which tend to be cyclical. If not for changing preferences (from my youth), these places would not have existed in the numbers they have in the recent decades.

Old 06-06-2017, 10:51 AM

4,178 posts, read 2,647,756 times
It's not millennials. Buffalo Wild Wings used to be good 10 years ago when it was a much smaller chain. The wings seems like they actually put care into the food, and the drinks were great and it was an awesome place to watch NFL games at.

Now, BWW has got too big for its own good, and the food and the prices are suffering as a result. The wings taste like crap these days...I went to a Redskins/Cowboys game last fall and got BBQ Wings, and the wings were burnt, had little meat but a ton of fried batter bread, and were just drenched in BBQ sauce. It was gross. The fries were super soggy and the mixed drinks I got were 80% mix/20% booze. Also, for this meal, it was about $45 bucks when all said and done...for 10 wings, fries and a long island. I can go to a local bar for the same and get much better quality, and cheaper prices.

And Applebees? Really? I haven't eaten there in years. Again, the food is overpriced and the food is no better than cafeteria food you get in high school. It's just heated up pre-cooked food. Nothing is really fresh, yet you still pay a decent price for the meal.

It has nothing to do with millennials, it's just the fact that the product these days from these brands absolutely sucks.

Old 06-06-2017, 10:51 AM

6,848 posts, read 7,989,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marleinie View Post
Millennials endanger casual-dining restaurants - Business Insider

I guess it makes sense, those places are more for the family experience they should cater more to older patrons like Denny's does.

As an Millennial, I actually like sit down places.
Bad food should also be considered as a contributor.

Old 06-06-2017, 10:52 AM

2,274 posts, read 1,338,471 times
I would say that the chain's attempts to serve the equivalent of a $3 frozen dinner from the supermarket and charge $15 for it after heating it up in a microwave are what is killing them. Applebee's is one of the worst chains out there. The food there is absolutely disgusting, it is like eating at a convenience store.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies